Gardening

Gracii Guns

I have no idea where everybody was this morning.  We said around 10, still didn't have folks there by 10:45.  I left for a while and when I came back, there was still nobody there.  But I will talk to Marsha about the humidity.  She may not like what I said but there's no way she'll let me have the last word, lol.

I don't know about what I'm doing with the lantana seeds.  I have them in what's called a potpourri crock to keep the water warm.  I've already added water three times with about 8 hours to go.  I think I'm running way too hot.

Did you see?  Apparently Kevin didn't suck up all my fertilizer on my green path.  omg, I'm so happy with that.  Going to have to stop ripping on Kevin, maybe.  He's going to have to stop doing shit that makes me scream his name.

Thats cool about medical marijuana. Taking some CBD oil in some tea might help your stiff hands too. Something to look into at least?

I will be hang drying more laundry now that my herb drying racks are empty I can use them for the first time to dry more laundry, so Im not sure. But I do already get surface mold in my seedling trays, on the soil, in that room. Thanks for looks into it more! Glad I can be an icebreaker for you and Mrasha!

Did they all get those pot jobs and now its just you there? :lol:

Im clueless about the lantana seeds. Im sure youll get it though.

The path looks so inviting!! Great job. Kevin didnt screw it up only because he screwed up what ever he was intending to do... prolly :lol:

Never pick the painkiller over the cure.  I'm pretty sure in my hands' case it's get them to a warmer climate. :lol:

I learned about not venting your dryer in the house the hard way.  Don't want to talk about it. :lol:  But yeah it was a "don't have the money for that" thing.  Get your dehumidifier, a bottle of saline for your nose and limit the showers for the skin.  You don't want to be growing black mold.

lol, the garden people.  They make me go WTF.  I went and got myself involved with people.  And a project.  Retirement don't look much different then what I was doing but I smile a lot more.

I'm so excited about the greenpath.  And Kevin proved it's mowable.  If the sedum doesn't take hold, the leave mulch will do to line it.  I just need Ken to design a sign that points the way from the end of the daylily walk to the bird seed garden.  You don't know there's a path there from the parking lot.  In a way it's a discovery thing you find out about as you walk around.

My daylily bed, where I found my Lily, is a mushy mess.  The foliage didn't die out before the frost killed the leaves.  That's a hand cut down and a few wheelbarrows of leave mulch.  I better get my ass up there. 

CBD is only a painkiller in the sense that it reduces swelling and relaxes stuff - its no psychoactive. But yeah, warmer weather would be nice :lol: This morning all my news feeds have explainers on the "Arctic vortex" that will define this brutally cold winter.

That does not sounds good about the dryer! Its my neighbour with the laundromat smells, my wet laundry is from the stuff that I can hand wash in my Scrubba bag. Oh, saline, I hadnt thought of that - thanks! I ordered the dehumidifier and have been running my essential oil differ with just water in it, in the meantime.

Those daylily dont sounds like the nicest job. Speaking of foliage not dying before the frost, my potted chives from the back deck have sprung bas to life just sitting on a table in my grow room. No lights, not near the window. I had already cut it down after the frost, mostly since Beaker was nibbling away at it. Chives are one of those that needs to be kept dark until signs of germination so I guess its been in the dark basically. Anyways its already twice this size from yesterday!

wPFpTF5.jpg

The boss is so excited about it - he'll be laying there and suddenly start squealing and then he runs to the chives for a snack :lol:

So I now have this huge pot, with chives occupying 1/3rd of it at best that I need to put under grow lights. There it will attract Beaker even more than the peppers he destroyed. Sigh. Why cant I just killed it? But you know I cant.

I have chives in a pot too but they are outside under a mound of leaf mulch.  I don't know why but Lily likes to lay in my plants rather than eat them.  She's been all over the grow light area checking it out.  We must have garden cats.  I set my huge pot of lavender on the floor right next to the lights.  It's not liking it.  What doesn't grow right into the lights is dying and making a big mess.  

My daylilies are cleaned up and tucked in for the winter.  I need to check on the 103 other daylilies out there.  That lead quit and I don't think she did anything to winterize them.  The deer pretty much ate their foliage so I can't count on that protecting the crown.  On the other hand, the problem child grows like a weed so I can probably do nothing and they will come back.  The term arctic vortex freaks me out.  Pile on more leaf mulch!

My guys obsessed with chives. He demands access to them. Its a human rights thing in his opinion :lol:. He does the roll in somethings to though. Im glad we have garden cats :heart:

I think it was a nobel endeavour to try that lavender. I cant make it work either. I can only imagine the mess of all those little leaves falling off. I have my dried lavender here and Ill stuff it into tea bags to use as drawer fresheners.

Youre gonna research the 103 daylillies either way though, arent you? :slash: We cant help ourselves! 

How much let mulch do you figure you've used this season?

Never shy away from a problem child. :lol:

Leaf mulch, kale, we've got them in abundance!  I'm not very happy with the leaf mulch at the garden.  It's more like compost at this point.  In the fall I prefer more dried out and less compacted leaves.  I don't want all that weight sitting on the plants and holding in moisture.  Usually we get our supply in the fall and it's only chopped up.  This year we didn't get it until the end of summer so it sat there from the following fall and started decomposing.  You can actually see a charcoal effect when you get into the middle of the pile.  It's hot and steaming when you dig into it.  Watch out for snakes and various other critters that get in there for the warmth.

I've probably pissed off Del.  I told him he couldn't plant there without approval of the group.  He did it anyway.  Told him to leave it for now but we would discuss it with the group.  No response to my e-mail.  He decided not to come to the meeting.  Okay fine but I'm still bringing it up to the group.  It's not just dropped.

I see what you mean about the leaf mulch. Never heard the phrase "charcoal effect" or how it relates to compost, but I think I understand. Im happy to not be living and gardening in such close proximity to snakes :nervous:

Del sounds like quite the rebel... take the hose to him!! :lol:

Speaking of a hosing though, I didnt see the Tiger Mother at seasons end and her bed wasnt winterized. Im concerned and every time I walk passed Im sad to see all her unharvested plants.

Sweet Cornbread makes big squeaking announcements when he's going in for the chives. I kinda wanna know if he does that when Im not here too :lol: They are twice as big once more over, still in the dark!

I'd be worried about her too, something's wrong there.  You probably need to offer to clean it up and don't be surprised if you have the job next year.

I hate to have an issue with Del.  He worked really hard out there this year.  We sent over 3000 pounds to the food pantry and the beds looked picture perfect.  The guy works really hard and he's 75.  Normally I wouldn't care but he put bushes in an area designated as path and we need that area to be open.

I'm hoping this is my last take down day.  Asters and mums come down.  Same side of the building those 103 daylilies are by.  Lets see if I can walk by those. :lol:

Oh good idea, I wonder if I could offer to clean it up now to hope to get a better sense of whats up?

Del sounds like a good soul. He's redeeming the name "Del" :lol: 3000 pounds to the pantry, my word!! Incredible.

Silly question: mums are chrysanthemums, right?

I want to put in some chrysanthemum sometime, for beauty and tea. Good luck with those 103 Daylillies :P

Making honey-basil-roasted-nuts later today, with dried basil from the garden. :drool: If it goes well, thats my hostess gift covered for the season (Im adulting like a champ! :lol:)

Yes, mums for short.  I like what you do with your nuts. :lol:

I'm sorry I forgot to ask Marsha about your humidity issue.  I thought about it, we went to lunch and talked about everything but.  I will see her again.

I HAVE 6 HOSTAS UP!  Everyday I wait to report to you something has sprouted, lol.  But now I'm really worried I don't have any lantana up.  Marsha said maybe we didn't nic them up enough in the blender.  Maybe we used too much water in the blender.  Oh hell, I used more water than she did when I did mine and the water may have been too hot.  I don't take killing seeds well. :lol:

Yeah the daylilies need attention.  And I missed half of one of my smaller beds.  Always something to do in the garden.

Edited by cineater
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, cineater said:

Yes, mums for short.  I like what you do with your nuts. :lol:

I am scandalized! :o:lol: j/k

Thanks for asking Marsha next time!

6 Hostas! Woot-Woot!! :headbang:I bet theres already more since yesterday?? Those Lantanas sound really finicky. I guess we kill a seed every time we plant it though? Its just nice when they produce new life after they die. Or maybe thats just Hallmark card hog wash? :lol: Hope they show up soon!

Im jealous that you have tasks at the garden. I have my seeds sorted and just need to imagine up a way to keep Sweet Cornbread outta my plants now. Cant wait to to get my hands back in the dirt.

I asked the compost lead about that thing I call the charcoal effect because it looks like burned charcoal.  Here's what he said:

Its ash from the pile getting so hot.   It was caused by microbes doing there job but if the pile doesn't get turned the heat keeps building and causes the ash, then it goes anaerobic.  It's doesnt' cause any issues just delays the amount of time for that pile to go through the cycle.  I'm not sure about a name for it though.  Now if it was white and stringy, then it would be mycellium, typically not found in a compost pile, unless it has sat for an extremely long time (at least a year).  Every time you flip the pile it would break up the fungal network. 

The most of the Joseph Coat looks dead yet the stems are leaning into the light and they need water.  They look horrible but I think I may see new leaves here in a bit on some of them.

Oh, intersting. I get it now. Thanks! It gets hot enough to burn but the fire cant spread and has no oxygen. Thats totally like how charcoal is made. I never made the connection though. Cool!

I try growing mushrooms now and then. Sometimes the mycelium wont take. It would drive me nuts if my compost grew a fungal network but the mushrooms wouldnt :max::lol:

Isnt it amazing how those tiny bits of healthy leaves can carry a plant all the way back to full strength? I love it!

Talked to Marsha and as we do, it was longer than originally planned.  :lol:

If your green mold is on your growing medium, the top layer is too wet.  If you see water droplets on top of your dome, you're over watering.  Crack the lid a little and let it dry out.

If the green stuff is around the room, it's humidity.  Try using two fans.  One to circulate the air in your room.  Face the other to blow air into an a joining space.  It acts as an exhaust fan.

I joined another gardening group. :blink:

Edited by cineater

Thanks so much! This is great info. Thanks to Marsha as well please. Glad you got to have a nice long chat :lol:

Luckily no mold out side of the trays and pots. But maybe Ill get a second fan anyways.

15 hours ago, cineater said:

I joined another gardening group. :blink:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Of course you did :lol: Is it the flower people? 

Yeah, the flower people, Fleur De Lis Garden Society.  My first activity with them will be to judge Christmas light displays in a neighborhood contest.  How meant to be is that?

Marsha knows who you are.  I mention you to my group.  You are considered one of us in a far away, yet interesting gardening challenge.  She's also worried about Tiger Mom.  She also thinks you're the next garden lead. :lol:

Oh thats so cool! Im honoured to be a member! :headbang:I certainly feel like I know Kevin :lol: Hmm, garden lead though... not sure, dont want to... but prolly :lol:. I havent he'd back about if I can winterize Tiger Mothers garden :( 

Who better to judge Christmas lights. How perfect. Flour De Lis is featured on my neighbours in Quebecs flag. "Lis" is french for Lily - so another perfect tie in for you! Seems meant to be.

Everyday I question why did I agree to be garden lead.  And think about how to get out of it. :lol:  Somebody has to do it and if I step up, I'm giving you my best (and hoping that it's good enough).  I'm bold and confident on the surface but underneath, curled up in the fetal position. :lol:  Join me, we'll freak out together.

French for Lily, how cool.  I don't know if I'm classy enough to be French.  I'm your wildman, Irish variety.

Thats not a very good sales pitch for being a lead, though! :lol: Being able to freak out together is a positive though.

You know what, the Quebecois arent so fancy really, its a million miles from Paris. They are a lesser known member of the Celtic family so the Irish wildness is within them too :headbang:Even the tap dancing type dance and jigs. This band might as well be their official national band. See all the Fleur De Lis on the flags!

The name translates to something along the lines of "The dancing shoes" or "The party boots" or Ive heard "Little dancing boots" is maybe most accurate as to its full meaning in quebec french. My favourite part of their shows in when the women gets tap dancing solos. She seems out of her mind in the best way! I love the women of rural quebec.

Edited by soon

I have to check them out!  They may be my new favorite band.  Don't tell anybody but I secretly wish I could tap dance. :lol:  I kind of keep my eyes open for senior tap dancing lessons.

I didn't have to apply for lead.  It was more of getting stuck with it.  No, it was getting stuck with it.  Nobody wants that.

I'm waiting for it to warm up.  One last round of mowing up the leaves.  They're kind of wet but we get snow tomorrow.

Tap dancing? I love that - hope you find some lessons! Im so happy that you like the band! Theyre something else all together :headbang:They have so many different lineups and sizes of bands at different shows.

No one would ask me to be a lead so I think Im in the clear :lol:

We had some rain wash away all that snow and look how these plants are alive and doing just fine:

Spoiler

B58hB5B.jpg

I could still harvest this and it smells great, but I didnt so that the oregano can store up its energy. In the top right you can see new growth, spreading out!!

I also had NEW kale growth that started under the snow!! That kale just wont quit:smiley-confused2:. I took pics but accidentally erased them.

HnoWmNl.jpg

This Catnip did die off on top, but look again how theres new growth at its base that started under the snow!!

d2WHlNy.jpg

Winter Savoury living up to its name. Looked and smells identical to midsummer!

Sweet Murder Spree is enjoying "his" new chives under the lights.

LQN7Mwt.jpg

No turning back now, will start bunch of seeds tomorrow. Just need to organize the space. 

You may never get rid of the kale!  Didn't understand a word the band sang but everyone is smiling.  Never seen anything like that.  Love people who have a will to be merry.

You have a more professional rig then I do.  Mines made out of PVC pipe and chains.  You going to change that cat's name every time?:lol:  I just love him.

I've decided pumpkin pie is going to be my 2 cups of daily veggies.  They have them right there at the checkout lane so convenient right?

Er, they always have their eye out for the next lead.  You do too good for them not to notice and you come everyday.

I'm checking out the Hayduke Trail in Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.  Not so much of a trail as a "figure it out" (name of the guy's show).  I can sit on the couch and sight see but once you start walking, I want to hike.

Edited by cineater

I know, the kale was taunting me! :lol: I cant understand almost anything they sing either, but the joy is so infectious! Im tickled that you dig them :headbang: 

If your rigs chains can easily be raised and lowered then I would be jealous of you. Mine is just an Ikea shelf that I mounted T5 'Sunblaster" brand lights onto. I have to unscrew the shelfs to change the light height and its really frustrating to have to unscrew the back part. Haha, there does not seem to be any end in sight for the parade of names for the boss. :lol: He even seemed to respond to being called Sweet Cornbread by the person who gave him that name. And in the morning he knows that 'boss' is part of the greeting, if not his name. But he always comes to "Beaker" so at least he's not getting confused by it all! He's a rascal :heart:

I love your veggie delivery system! Two cups of veggies indeed, I like the way you think :lol: Pies in the checkout line?? Nice - I can see why Fortus would move back home!

You know what one down side is of being a regular at the garden, though? Im just starting to really discover this. I get chatting with people and there are the complainer types who vent about every little gripe about the gardens management, up keep, smell, certain angle of sun beams... you know the type? And I just smile and nod because I just dont care. But apparently the leads get all sorts of emails that start "I was talking to soon about _______ and WE think it needs to change..." AHHHHH! Leave me out of it!

Were you pacing your living room as you watched the Hayduke trail? :lol:

Oh that would suck taking your rig apart to move the lights.  I'll e-mail you pics but the lights easily move up and down with the chains by hooks.  The top rack we made hooks out of a coat hanger for the top bar, attached chains to each side of the light and just keep moving where the chain attaches to the hook.  The bottom rack, I ran out of chain, lol.  It's a little more jerry rigged.  One chain is really long so I have to wrap the chain around the pole before I attach the hook on the end of the chain back on to itself.  The other one I pieced two chains together with a hook in the middle and move the hook up the chain from there.  It's a two hand job everytime I move the chains on the hooks but it's pretty quick.

No lantana yet.  And the coleus grew into the lights so I raised one side of the light.  Joseph's Coat looks like shit.

I'm not good at sitting on the couch but I found myself walking up to the TV to look closer at the scenery.  I moved off the Hayduke which is desert to the John Muir trail which is in the California mountains.  Backpacks really have changed since I hiked.  They've come up with trail names for people, nics.  I need one of those but I keep wondering if I could do that again.

I get all the complainers at the garden except they expect me to do something about it, lol.  We didn't get snow last night but it's cold.  We're working in the greenhouse today to put up shelves.  Hate to waste the lights but we'll turn them on for heat.

Richard probably moved home because it's way cheaper here then LA or NY.  But he also has family and might have wanted to be closer to the grandparents when he started having kids.  We're also not as intense as those other places.