Gardening

Gracii Guns

I forgot about Dizzy's uncle.  He's back in town or he might have left again.  He checked out and lived in the mountains for years.  Or at least that's what his family thought he was doing.  They had no contact from him for a long time.  Maybe he got lost out there on the trail or it was that other thing.  I thought I had seen him back in 79, hitching through Utah, dressed like Jesus.  Okay, it was probably that other thing.  I always wanted to meet him but I was afraid if I did and he asked me to take him back, I would.

Hold on, what?? You dated Dizzys uncle? I put have forgot about that! And sounds like you dropped acid with Dizzys uncle?? :axl92: And after he spent time as a monk in the wilderness you want to date him again?? 

Are the Ozarks the mountains near you? Or the Rockies? Ive been in the Rockies US and its magical... minus all the machine guns and bazookas rattling off around every corner :lol:

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Oh that would suck taking your rig apart to move the lights.  I'll e-mail you pics but the lights easily move up and down with the chains by hooks.  The top rack we made hooks out of a coat hanger for the top bar, attached chains to each side of the light and just keep moving where the chain attaches to the hook.  The bottom rack, I ran out of chain, lol.  It's a little more jerry rigged.  One chain is really long so I have to wrap the chain around the pole before I attach the hook on the end of the chain back on to itself.  The other one I pieced two chains together with a hook in the middle and move the hook up the chain from there.  It's a two hand job everytime I move the chains on the hooks but it's pretty quick.

No lantana yet.  And the coleus grew into the lights so I raised one side of the light.  Joseph's Coat looks like shit.

Your rig sounds lovely. Im at a weird budgeting place for my rig. On one hand I say to myself "I will have money to upgrade after I monetize." But on the other hand "Monetizing will be such a pain in the ass if I dont upgrade first." But who am I kidding, Sweet Murder Spree will destroy them sooner then later regardless :lol: He slept with his chives last night :facepalm::lol:

Thats frustrating about the Lantana and Joesephs Coat. Is there still time expected for the Lantana to germinate? 

1 hour ago, cineater said:

I get all the complainers at the garden except they expect me to do something about it, lol.  We didn't get snow last night but it's cold.  We're working in the greenhouse today to put up shelves.  Hate to waste the lights but we'll turn them on for heat.

Well, again, not a great sales pitch for being a lead :P:lol: I feel bad for people who always feel grumpy while gardening under the summer sun. I cant fathom it.

I hope everyone shows for the build!

Never met Dizzy's uncle.  Drove right by that in 79.  But you do tend to notice Jesus standing on the side of the road with his thumb out.  And we drove right by him a second time.  Couldn't figure out how he got ahead of us when we didn't stop.  We probably should have stopped but you know, it looks like Jesus.  Kind of freaks you out.   I quit dating years ago.  My life nic should be makes poor choices in men. :lol:

Did you get the pics?  The box of round lights will get clamped onto the poles and I can grow on the side table.

Edited by cineater

Man, I really misread your post then! Sorry! Haha, Im such an idiot. I love the idea that where you live a roaming Jesus look alike who is Dizzy Fuckin Reeds uncle is like a local character. Id pick up Jesus though :lol:

I got the pics. Your rig looks amazing! Wish I had one like it. What kind of lights are those round ones? They look powerful, like you could bring a larger plant to maturity under them?

Who's the painter?

He was out in Utah at the time and it might have been him.  Could have been the real Jesus.  :lol:  It was not uncommon back then for young people to dress up like Jesus or run around the airport in light orange.  And we were getting closer to California, land of people doing weird shit.

I don't know what kind of lights those are or how powerful they will be when I turned them on.  Another repurposing from the highway patrol.  The big one can take a bulb up to 300 watts.  I'm starting to get a little concerned about my electric bill.  I won't use them until I have transplants and it will be just until they can go to the greenhouse.

My daughter did one of those drink wine and paint a picture classes.  And like a good mom, when she didn't know if she had done a good job, I praised it and hung it up.  So she did that a few more times.  She enjoyed herself and you know, other parents understand.

Since I was couch hiking California, diverted to a hike around the Salton Sea.  California's largest lake, somewhere close by is the Coachella Music Festival.  It's a GNR related world. :lol:

Anyway, this lake was created by flooding from the Colorado River back in 1905 in the desert.  Man came in and capitalized on it creating tourism and agriculture.  Stocked the lake and attracted the birds from the western flyaway.  Now it's drying up.  Docks hundreds of feet from the shore, algae blooms killing the fish, birds without habitat.  What I didn't know would happen is in the soil being left behind.  It's toxic with all the runoff from the agriculture pesticides and fertilizers that were sucked into the lake and trapped in the bottom.  The wind hits the dust and sends it over hundreds of miles.  The toxins are so small they enter the lungs and go straight into the bloodstream.  People are suffering all kinds of health problems mostly asthma.  It's a recent development but cancer can't be far behind.  California is doing very little to deal with the problem and the people living there are too poor to leave.  The people further out don't realize what's in the air.

I've said it for years.  Cancer blows in on the wind from the desert in southern California.  I assumed it was all the military tests they did out there in the desert.  Hell disguised as paradice.  

People would run around in orange at airports to throw off the pilots?

300watts?!?!?! That should do the trick. I bet all your other lights will dim when you plug it in :lol:j/k. I wish I had one or two like that as well. Could grow tomatoes indoors with ease I bet!!

I like the paintings - she should stick with it! When I saw the peace signs I thought a Dead Head might have done them, so I thought I d ask.

Thats so tragic to hear about that fake lake. When will we stop messing with nature? When will we stop dumping waste in water as if the story somehow ends there? My heart is with the victims. Yikes, plus the military tests... That reminds me, did your Planet B shirt arrive?

Ill be seeding my dome trays today... well round one at least :lol: Will get two domes going once I store the home brewing and paper making rigs. So nice to have fresh chives on top of my carrot and potato soup.

The orange people were a religious cult.  Enough said there.

I did get my shirt and wear it regularly.  We have a nice day here.  They are saying November is just an abnormally cold month and it doesn't mean anything for the rest of winter.  They are giving us a 50/50 chance of maybe 2 heavy snows.  I'm hoping they are right.

Happy for you. We've already had two heavy snows! And its not stopping anytime soon. You are lucky!

Ive got the one dome and the chives set up, but I think I will (... got interrupted from typing this as Beaker took a dive at the dome) have to completely move it to somewhere else that the Boss cant get at it. He's been at everything, including biting the on/off switches for the lights. He at least mostly calls me to watch him wreak havoc... as he is doing now. But I was away when he destroyed my peppers. No coffee yet, its too early for this shit! :lol:

I planted genovese basil, holy basil, thyme, sage, spinach, kale (why, soon, why?!?! :lol:), soft lettuce and anise hyssop. Im off my game though as I moistened all the soil first, but thyme likes to be sown on top of dry soil. Plus it and the sage was already in question because the seeds are 3 years old. Ive never tried spinach inside either... so that leaves what basil and kale? Lots and lots of basil and kale - I cant escape it! I chickened out from starting my Wholly Lambs Ear because it requires scarification and I didn't have any sand paper.

Aw, Im sorry about that Lantana. Hopefully everyone will report slow germination. Are the coleus adjusting the lights? Joseph's Coats are bouncing back now?

Beaker is jealous you are giving attention to the plants.  He knows if he fucks with those he'll get your attention.  He's playing with your toys thinking you will play too.  Try playing with him before you tend the plants.  Cats don't like the citrus smell.  Spray the plant area with an orange smelling air freshener.

I haven't had enough coffee yet either.  Find myself waking up to your nightmare "why, soon, why?!?!" :lol:  You could try putting the Lambs Ear in the blender with a little bit of water.  You pulus for two seconds and repeat 3 times.  Of course that's how we started the lantana so maybe wait for the sandpaper.

The coleus grew into the lights already, Joseph Coat that didn't live are probably not going to come out.  Not giving up on those lantana.

Our last nice day for a while.  Nothing really on my gardening schedule but clean all that stuff out of the car.  I'm taking a glass buttons from Germany class.  Called my side project and left a message:  Should we take the truck and pick up a load of mulch?  Why, cineater, why?!?!

Noooo, high winds may prevent the balloons from flying during the Macy's Day parade.  We get high winds tomorrow.  I'm a little worried as all the leaf mulch I put down hasn't been rained on yet so it may blow away.  On the other hand, the wind blows everything down the street and into my yard.  I may be getting a leave delivery. :lol:

Edited by cineater

You really are a cat whisperer arent you? This all makes perfect sense. I just followed this advice and he didnt attack any gear, he just enjoyed playing with me and ate some chives! Thanks! Hopefully I wont even need the citrus, but who am I kidding I will definitely need the citrus :lol: And you hooked me up with all this knowledge when you were pre-coffee. Nice!

I'll try that with the Lambs Ear, thanks. If nothing else it might help determine if thats what went wrong for your Lantana. Any news on them?

What are glass buttons from Germany all about? Ive just been starring at the dome and its soil :lol:

More leaf mulch - why cineater, why?!?!? :lol: But it seems that mother nature just wants it that way.

It's a cat.  What works once may not work twice. :lol:  Just remember the cat comes first.  I slept until 11:15!  Simone stayed out until 3 and didn't wake me up.  Man, my whole day is shot.

I keep looking through that dome too.  I've got 25 little hostas, waiting on the second group.  It's strange not running up to the garden.  My markers for what day it is, is all off.  Plus we're done with pinball until after the holidays.  I no longer have a regular routine.  I guess I don't need to know what day it is.

People collect buttons made of glass that were made for clothing.  Never really thought about it but I do remember cutting the buttons off clothes and throwing them in my mother's coffee tin.  Before plastic, late 1950's I think, they were all made of glass.  The class I took narrowed in on a town in Germany and what they were doing.  Not the little art work you see on bottle tops but still interesting.  A button has more to it than you think.  Love the library.  They have cool shit going on there.

Falling leaves today.  You know I'm excited.  I have the fence bed I could do and I haven't even made a pile for spring use.  I'll take them all!

And indeed he did dive at the dome since my post, as we played :facepalm::lol:. First time I witnessed it - wow that looked painful, bouncing off the dome hard and falling from the top shelf onto his back, in the corner behind the shelf. No idea what he was thinking :o:lol: But he shuck off the embarrassment quickly enough.

11:15, now those ain't summer gardening hours! :lol: You must have needed the rest and Simone knew it. That must be such a change, with no markers of your recent routine. 

Glad Im not alone in that dome gazing! One little bit of germination popped through. Guess which one?? :max::lol:.

Oh, thats fascinating about the buttons. Libraries really are neat.

Enjoy playing in the leaves! :P:lol: Im happy that you have good use for some more leaf mulch.

I just had bargain brand, canned spaghetti topped with fresh chives, oh the bucolic life of the year round veggie gardener :lol:

And the kale is up and growing! :lol:

Holy shit!  Stopped by the garden.  The city wants $90,000 by February 1st to keep us from falling into the creek.  Alex wants us to raise the money by doing fundraisers. That kind of fund raising is so far out of my league and in two months.  They moved the project up a year.  We're going into the creek. :lol:

The side project.  The people came to install the gas line and cut through the waterline.  Water everywhere except in the house. :lol:  They told her not to worry about it.  They do this all the time.  Okay but when does the water come back on?

Edited by cineater

Hahaha, yep, you got it. Still just that one kale. :lol:

That sucks. I think I asked before about how the school is obligated to supply the land to y'all - but you said that the school has no money?

*you all fall in the creek and its like* "Oh, hey Kevin, we were wondering where you were." :lol:

I wonder if there are more grants for this type of thing now that we are in a climate crisis? The grants might be new and no ones heard of them before? So stressful.

Is the side projects water back on? Thats too much "Oh we rupture water pipes all the time, Ma'am. Standard protocol, nothing to see here." Did all you plants get up rooted?

Indoor gardening is too easy some days. I get all pumped to garden and all there is to do is open the vent on the dome :facepalm::lol:

I have no idea what the creek project means to the gardens next year if we become a construction zone.  The funding is not something I'm going to get involved in.  I tried years ago to get that going but was told not to worry about it.  Yeah, the water is back on but the gas line isn't laid yet.

I'm not really sure what just happen.  I was up all night with a wind headache, she came to get me a half hour early because she needed chocolate.  I'd been up a whole 45 minutes. Hadn't even had my first cup of coffee but thank god for the bartender who had a small cup, strong.  I could really use to get my nicotine level up but nobody smokes but me.  I'm in the car thinking we are going one place and we're off into St Louis to some other place.  I went to a movie.  It took 6 hours. :lol:  There was more weirdness in that story.  But I was more like observing then an active participant.

Sounds like a tripy adventure - couldn't she tell you were out of it? She must have really needed chocolate :lol: Do you remember any of the movie?

I really hope that all the money things come together. For the garden itself and for the outdoor classroom.

I was peering into my dome first thing this morning and then Sweet Cornbreads little head popped up on the other side of the dome, what a cutie. 4 kale, 1 holy basil, 1 basil :dance:He's always munching the chives so its always very fragrant over there. Makes me hungry!

OMG, they let the Rockettes wore dark tights on their legs.  I think that's the first time they let those girls cover their legs for the parade.  Changing world.  At least the balloons are flying in the parade.  Did you get my Christmas card?

That was another tripy part.  I was supposed to be seeing Mr Rogers but Forrest Gump kept popping up. :lol:  She got up at 5:30 so she was off and running.  Over the years I've gotten pretty good at covering "I'm really not here". :lol:  She didn't notice a thing.

The money requests for the garden just keep pouring in.  You folks are crazy and pissing me off.  It will all work itself out because there is no way they are getting that.  It's just going to be a long meeting.  You know I love those.

I had a cute pop of the head from a racoon the other night.  Love those moments.

Im not so sure how I feel about the Rockettes new wardrobe :lol: A high school gf always wanted to "do more adult stuff" and figured going to see the Rockets at a theatre would be an enticing compromise :lol: It was well over an hour long show. Cant remember what they did that whole time, but it was fun.

Yes, thank you! The Christmas card warmed my heart. I have to figure out how to make one of those with my cat! Hope you are enjoying your Thanks Giving!!

Well, as long as you didnt start seeing Wilson from Cast Away :lol:. Looks like a touching movie. You got that 'Mickey Hart in shades with a straight face' thing down, eh? :lol:

That will be another good thing about the outdoor garden: you can have meetings there and hose people down if they go too long or ask for too much money!!

I LOVE those racoon head pop ups :wub: They are the cutest vermin ever! Especially if they are sleepy and popping their head up. 

Me and Beaker are having a great time gardening together with all your tips in place. Instead of meowing for me to come se how he's bending the water tray back from under the plug trays (:facepalm:) he is meowing for me to come pet him as he sits on the floor in front of the grow shelf!! He really does see it as my toys that we can play with together. Now lets see how he does with the new clothes drying system though?:smiley-confused2:

8 hours ago, soon said:

Im not so sure how I feel about the Rockettes new wardrobe :lol: A high school gf always wanted to "do more adult stuff" and figured going to see the Rockets at a theatre would be an enticing compromise :lol: It was well over an hour long show. Cant remember what they did that whole time, but it was fun.

Yes, thank you! The Christmas card warmed my heart. I have to figure out how to make one of those with my cat! Hope you are enjoying your Thanks Giving!!

Well, as long as you didnt start seeing Wilson from Cast Away :lol:. Looks like a touching movie. You got that 'Mickey Hart in shades with a straight face' thing down, eh? :lol:

That will be another good thing about the outdoor garden: you can have meetings there and hose people down if they go too long or ask for too much money!!

I LOVE those racoon head pop ups :wub: They are the cutest vermin ever! Especially if they are sleepy and popping their head up. 

Me and Beaker are having a great time gardening together with all your tips in place. Instead of meowing for me to come se how he's bending the water tray back from under the plug trays (:facepalm:) he is meowing for me to come pet him as he sits on the floor in front of the grow shelf!! He really does see it as my toys that we can play with together. Now lets see how he does with the new clothes drying system though?:smiley-confused2:

Thank god for cats, a little understanding and life is sweet. 

Yeah, one color outfits didn't really set off the precision of the leg kicks.  Did you see the jungle/waterslide park float?  That was so cool.  The dancing presidents was weird.

Those aren't my cats on the Christmas card.  Just have to mail them out and check that off my list.

The creek project is freaking me out.  I seem to remember them saying we would have to move our amendment bins.  Those are made of the concrete barriers you see on the highway.  We have 18 blocks.  Have no idea how much it would cost to move those and put them back.  It takes a crane to lift them.  I got sent an e-mail saying the county counsel has moved the meeting up.  I just volunteered for that group only to see if it's something our group needs to be part of.  Reviewing their last meeting notes they expected $75000 for the project and didn't know when it would happen.  They had $9000.  I'm going to the meeting but I don't want to. :lol:

Edited by cineater

You were also correct that he really wants me to tidy up that room. He loves rolling around in the middle of the floor, almost to celebrate all the room.

I didnt see the parade but I can imagine that the one colour really doesnt work for their dances. 

Oh, I see about the card. Its so cute!! I forgot to do cards! Need to pick some up asap. 

Yikes, that creek project. You'd need a crane to move those bins? Is that in the budget of $75 000? So the City will try to find the remaining money within their own budget? It sucks that you have to go to the meetings, but its also great that its you since they will see all the great work youre doing and all the plans to benefit the community. No hose is the only problem :lol: But fire extinguisher's :axl92:

Another good thing about Beakers chives obsession is that now when he comes to kiss me his face smells of chives and not his butt.

Im hoping to hear good news about those Lantana!!?

The word is going around about the creek project.  I'm getting e-mails.  Yeah, I don't know.  All that was way above my head.  If it had been in my lap I would have been on it long before we got here.  Should have let me build that raft, lol.

Nothing under the dome.