Gardening

Gracii Guns

I know, that word scares the crap out of you.  I'm plotting my escape to the new Star Wars movie.  The kids are all out of school for the Christmas break so I may wait a week or two.

That was a miserable lunch. :lol:  My friend just can't quit.  I want to talk about what there is to do and what we've done.  She wants to run through our lives, look for problems and pass judgement on how we handled it.  OMG, I show them a picture of the pretty bows I put on the Christmas packages and she's commenting on how many gifts I bought like I overdid it.  I did, I do but way to take all the joy out of that.  Yeah, I'm just going to stop talking and eat my lunch.

My boss doesn't care for plants.  She almost didn't make it.  They had a runner.  Okay, I'll look for him on my way in.  The radio is playing Take Me On.  Yeah, would not have happen if I was on it.  They need me.  The plant people need me.  And I'm starting to hope there is a third option, lol.

Thats smart about Star Wars. I cant hold off that long and am planning tomorrow after noon, even though its the weekend.

Oh no! :lol: First they just drone on about shot and then as the nerve to criticize you generosity? People are the worst.

Whats a runner?

Oh the third option is that you join a third plant based group :P:lol:

Grocery shoppers were not in the christmas spirit today. It was packed with grumps. The packaged fresh herbs shelves were empty and I think I laughed out loud at the people shoulder checking one another to get at the sage - couldnt help myself. Yeah, Ive got all the sage I need, suckers.

A runner is a run away.

I shouldn't complain about being needed.  I do it to myself. :lol:  And I guess they are looking out for me.  But where are the fun people?

I was headed to the grocery store myself but realized the deli roast beef won't last so looks like I'll be in the store with the last minute Christmas shoppers.  I'm hoping they will be merry and nice.

You do it to yourself, but its awesome :headbang:I trust there are fun people in pinball? And its funny to think that as we speak, Kevin has fallen into the creek and is crawling his way out :lol: (why am I so mean to Kevin? :lol:)

Oh, good point about the roast beef! If any late shoppers mess with you, you can call your former boss whom I gather will show up promptly to kick their asses?? lol

Are you a big Star Wars fan? I love it and Ive been getting into a few books and comics also. But I don't know Star Wars as well as many fans.

Not a big fan, just watch the movies.

And I've done it to myself with the coleus.  This time I put the cuttings in 6 packs instead of individual containers.  I have twenty six new coleus and eleven hostas.  Another light turned on.  I need to cut down the begonias but they are blooming.  So much easier to water when you take the hose to everybody.

I kind of miss wrapping gifts and making bows :lol:

Edited by cineater

Your grow room is overflowing with new life! Sounds incredible, but yeah, a ton of work. Do you have a hose indoors? I would LOVE that.

My soil arrived and the post box had festive designs, so I thought it was a christmas gift. When I opened it I was just as happy as if it were. Not sure any actual gifts will make me as happy when I open them :lol:

Damn it, I forgot to put potting soil on my Christmas list.

My grow room is a mess.  I have some of the livingroom plants in there to make room for the Christmas tree.  I have to crawl under the table to get to the lights on the bottom.  And the lavender is in a big pot taking up room on the potting table.  Plus I have piles of pots and flats.  I cleaned up a little bit yesterday but it's making me crazy.

I use to have one of those indoor hoses.  They are a pain in the ass and don't reach far enough.  Don't get one.  You are suppose to let your water "gas off".  Fill up a container and let the water sit/air out for 24 hours.  That way you don't get that white crusty stuff on your soil.  It's salt/minerals from the city water.  It takes a while for that to happen.  One disadvantage of using the same soil over and over again.  The salt will cause leaf burn and the plant has trouble taking up water.  You generally see it on houseplants.

Yeah, messy grow rooms are such a pain in the ass. Especially having to crawl under table to get the lights. You need a timer! Im really happy with the type I use, its an analog model that has two outlets and leaves room for the bottom wall socket to be used still. 

That lavender is still in this thing?!?! Well done!

Thanks for the info on the hose - I'll pass. What a hassle! When Im growing small quantities like I currently am, I used filtered water. So tht should stretch out the oil a but longer I think? My humidifier said it needs to be cleaned every three days of the similar mineral and crap build up, but I use filtered water and didn't have to clean it for 2 weeks and even then there want really any build up at all.

Hopefully some one will give you some soil, even if you forgot to ask.

I have timers, lol.  Only 5.  I was going to put another one on my list but I'm use going to use the one I have on the outdoor christmas lights.  I'm crawling under there to water.  What's the oil for?

Lily is sitting outside the plant room crying for me to come in.  She likes it when we are in the room.  I'm doing interesting stuff to her.

Never enough timers, eh? Sorry, typo. Meant soil, not "oil" 

Lily and Beaker seem like kindred spirits :heart:

When he first came home I was harvesting the largest gardens Ive ever worked. He would run straight up my body since I was so busy and, in his mind, 'ignoring him' sometimes. Hurt a lot! But nothing like how he's started doing a version of that again when we're in the grow room. He cant drag his big butt up anymore so he extends himself up until his front paws are at my waist, asking to be picked up. But it never goes well and ends up with a scratch attack! Also, he still spends most of the night wth me, but early in morning he goes and sleeps by his chives until I get up :lol: The morning routine isnt complete without me stopping him from over indulging with the chives - like if I let him eat he stops and makes insistent noises until I put my hand in between he and the chives. He then tries to dodge my hand and out-maneuver me to get at the chives :facepalm::lol:

Edited by soon

Simone is one, Lily is 4.  Mr Kitty and Little George still stop by.  I thinking at some point Little George will hibernate but maybe not.  I'm going to grab him a bag of apples for Christmas.  Simone has taken to the new cat beds like a queen on her throne.

Looks like all the transplants did okay.  Must have did a pretty good job of cleaning up the plant room.  I walk in there and see space. :lol:

Were in the 50's heading for the 60's the next week.  That's 10 to 15 for you.

We have a new Nation Park, White Sands, #62.

Edited by cineater

I can just picture Simone holding court in her throne :) Little George thats right. What a crew! Yeah, well he wont hibernate when you are having 15c weather, will he!? (dont rub it in about your spring like weather btw :lol:)

Nice feeling to get things tidied, eh? Im making bread, making a big batch noodle dish and blanching vegetables today - same kinda feeling of getting things sorted for the coming week.

Nice! Are you near White Sands? Sounds like a beach maybe?

It's in New Mexico.  If I'm remembering correctly, made famous for dune buggy racing.  One of those places people ran off to and then the rest of the world found out, cleaned it up and established rules.  Now you just look at it.

I'm waiting for the church crowd to go home so I can run to the store.  Need to get all that stuff for the sliders.  My mother was asking about the leftovers.  She apparently worries about that when we have a family party.  I can only hope there will be leftovers.  

I'm going to drop by the gardens and see how they are doing.

Oh, is that the place in all those car commercials too, maybe? Its all white ground.

Im gonna wait a day or two to get my sliders stuff because of my see food diet - I see food and I eat it :lol:

Hope all is well at the gardens. My basil is so close to ready to eat.

Holy shit!  The deli roast beef was $11.49/lb.  Good thing I like these people.  There better be leftovers.  Good thing the neighbor gave me that turkey soup. :lol:

Gardens looked good.  Some folks could get out there and cut some shit down.  Not all of that has seeds for the birds.  One of the row covers is too short on the sides and blows over.  The green path is really green compared to the other grass.

Haha - that aint cheap at all! Its a true compliment to your cooking that people are clamouring for left overs! Still craving turkey soup :lol: I buy Ziggys brand lunch meat and if I do a full recipe amount it would be right around the same price in total. Yikes!

I was blanching peas and corn that I grew, earlier. Plate by plate its not huge savings, but it adds up. Mostly its just a fun feeling. Took out some garden salsa too, for antijitos. Cant wait for that potato and cheese casserole! :headbang:

The warmth from the mulch is melting the snow?

No it's not.  Which is weird because I know the inside of that mulch pile is turning leaves to ash.  I would have walked over there for a closer look but everything is soaking wet.  It sits in a shady area so the sun hasn't hit it and it was covered in snow.  Joe asked me about relocating that area for the creek project.  Those cement barricades are the only things keeping crazy drivers from going into the creek.  Even if they have to be moved for the project, they have to go back.

Looks like I can get out the hose tomorrow and wash the car. We are going to be 67 for Christmas, 19 to you.  This is kind of normal for us.  We can be like this so I'm still not ruling out a wicked winter coming next month.   

1 hour ago, soon said:

Oh cool! I was already in bed when you sent the link, but luckily it still lets me watch now. Wouldve been even cooler to watch live, but now I've got a Very Jerry Christmas to start my day with. Sipping some OJ. These guys are great :headbang:

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there is Dead music being played live somewhere in the world 24/7.  One of the comments when the saxophone player came on was "very saxy".  :lol:

Right before that I was watching this:  

Edited by cineater
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cineater said:

I'm pretty sure there is Dead music being played live somewhere in the world 24/7.  One of the comments when the saxophone player came on was "very saxy".  :lol:

Right before that I was watching this:  

HAHAHAHAHA - those Biker Santas just keep coming! 

I sure hope the music never stops. It should be always playing. These guys are doing it justice too! Cant wait for that sax player :lol: