Gardening

Gracii Guns

I'm worried about this heating mat.  It's not warm, it's hot.  I feel like I'm baking these seeds.  They are drying out really fast.  With the lids on I'm getting a lot of moisture on the dome.  I just don't feel like this is right growing conditions.  Then again I could be doing it wrong. :lol:

The flooding isn't the problem, it's the erosion that comes with the flooding.  We don't lose the top layer of soil, we lose chunks of soil.  Places where we use to walk are now a 25 foot drop into the creek.  They are basically building a wall of rock up from the creek to the top of our property.

Finally, we got the steering committee focused on planning goals.  They agreed but then wanted to think about what those would be, get everybody involved, start an email discussion and then set a meeting to come up with a plan.  Oh hell no, lol.  I love Jan.  She just flat out said we are the steering committee and it was our job to direct the group.  Pushy bitch that I am, you can think about it but we are not leaving here until we have a date for that meeting.  We have one in two weeks.  

But then the bad news, the Extension wants to take the focus off what we do on property and do it out in the community.  He wants us involved in long term supportive programing.  Just when I'm trying to use the demo gardens in a more educational way.  We're at odds or so it would appear.  I'll have to talk more with him.  See what he wants as an end results and how I can use the demo gardens to get him there.

Are anyones Lantanas up yet? Ive used a mat for ht peppers and mine never got too hot really. Then again thats in late winter/spring here so its cool anyways.

Its too bad any time we need to pave nature, but Im so happy thats getting taken care of!

I hate email discussions with groups of people!!! 

What does it mean to do your work out in the community?

What will the Dead sell next?  Here ya go and just look at the price.  https://www.vosgeschocolate.com/products/grateful-dead-a-collection-of-curated-chocolates-cosmic-crystals

He wants us working on more community projects.  He says we aren't the labor but the consultants.  Those projects want labor.  But there's this whole thing about making money that goes unsaid.  We really need to talk as a group about what we want to do.

You ever heard of the ground nut?  https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2020/1/groundNut/

First tornado warning of the night.  I'm on the edge so not too worried but there's more coming up from the south.  Going to be a long night.

Edited by cineater

I hope there was no tornados? That must have been a stressful night? Did you rest?

Yikes - those better be good chocolates!!! Is the crystals the coloured dust? Or they are just made near crystals? Sheesh, seems pretty shameless.

No, Id never heard of groundnuts. Its amazing all the wild food stuffs all around us! They sound like sun chokes a bit, even their medicinal benefits. You gonna grow some?

I cant find my cane! How can it go missing in this little place? :lol:

We didn't get a touch down.  So weird to have spring weather in January.  And now we are waiting for ice but that looks like it's drying up before it gets here.  I was lost in the cat book and really bummed with the Neil Peart news.  Finished the cat book and going to concentrate on the plant book today.

I thought they had actual crystal rocks but it was more of a passing glance, don't want that.  They sell everything and anything, lol.

Not growing the groundnuts but will look for them when I'm out in the woods.  I wonder how they figured out they have to be cooked to be edible?  You would think it was tried raw, made you sick and never ate again.

Blame the cat, lol.  It's the only explanation. 

Glad to hear there were no touchdowns!

That would be so cool to find one in the wild. Yeah, youd hate to be the person used to expereminet on all the foods we now know to be safe!

Found the cane - and it was the cat!! grrrrrrr :lol:

He has also eating up all the chives so is now digging in the pots to look for more :facepalm::lol:

Sent you a picture of the green path underwater.  Might have hit the wrong size button on that, oops.  We are up to the brim, surrounded by flood waters.  The side lawn is under and it's up to the top of the greenhouse wall.  The current is flowing fast but not rolling.  All normal in moderate flooding.  It's freaky to look at but that's what happens.  There's a little tree out in the flood water I check.  It's there which means we didn't lose that chunk of stream bank.  I forgot to bring up the daylily bench so if you want you could go sit in the middle of the flood waters, lol.  The beehives are strapped down, surrounded on the front side by water but no water under them.  Wish we would hold here but the water level is still rising.

I've had signs of a little digging in my plant room.  Probably just a touch and feel thing.  But we all know who's behind that Miss Lily, lol.

Thats the green path?!?! I would have thought that was the creek! That size photo is better on my end :) 

I hope the bank holds and that tree stays! It looks menacing.

HAHA Lily! What a munchkin :lol:. And as Beakers sucker I will dutifully plant him some new chives :lol:

It's probably about 10 inches of water running over it.  It will be gone within 24 hours.  It's fun to send the new people pictures.  That's what we call moderate flooding, lol.  They're thinking puddling and we're talking about how fast the current is running.  When you're out there it's pretty scary.  As very thing drains into it, it will go up.

The cats are now freaking over the snow.  We had hamster size flakes.  The dogs in the neighborhood were having a great time.

Thats bonkers that it can be gone so quickly too! Thats not what Id call moderate! :lol: You could sell rafting and tubing rides to make money for the garden.

Thats some huge snowflakes! Freezing rain here today. Also I was woken up by an emergency warning that there was an accident at a nuclear plant and that we were to "take action to protect ourselves" what ever that means!! And then a few minutes later they sent out another announcement that it was a mistake to send the emergency and all was fine. :facepalm:

That will wake you up!  What are you supposed to do?

That was Kevin's response, more than moderate.  Then he checked the flood levels and found out it was officially called moderate, lol.  We went up another foot at 6 last night.  Still a foot to go before it hits official "major".  Could have sent me the link to where they were checking the official level but I'm pretty good at eyeballing it.  I'll run out there in a bit and check again.  This is our 8th highest flood level.

I have coneflower up!  Right on time with what the internet says.  The onions have reached the top of the dome.  Guess it's time to take that off.  Still no lantana.

Edited by cineater

I guess I was supposed take some type of iodine. Sales of which skyrocketed following the event. I guess we all really lucked out and can now get more prepped. I know someone who works at a plant - homers job no less, lol. They are late for everything or cancel. They always say "something came up at the plant." Im not sure if they are the flakiest person ever or if there are living on the edge of a nuclear meltdown at all times! :lol:

Thats great about the coneflower! Im sick of basil now, ever since I was in a flower shop and realized that the overpowering flower shop smell is basil. Just made it weird :lol:

Well, I signed up to be the chairperson of picking up trash along the road for my new gardening club.  I'll be walking the streets with my girls.  Does that make me a madame of some sort? :lol:

Tomorrow is a little snow, little sleet and a little freezing rain.  All day even that ends with it warming up at night and rain washing it all away.  Little bit backwards but I can stay home and read my book.  And arrange limo services for the wedding.  How much do you tip those guys?  The only time I've been in a limo is for a funeral.  And I'm not going to get to ride in this one either. :lol:

32 minutes ago, cineater said:

Well, I signed up to be the chairperson of picking up trash along the road for my new gardening club.  I'll be walking the streets with my girls.  Does that make me a madame of some sort? :lol:

Tomorrow is a little snow, little sleet and a little freezing rain.  All day even that ends with it warming up at night and rain washing it all away.  Little bit backwards but I can stay home and read my book.  And arrange limo services for the wedding.  How much do you tip those guys?  The only time I've been in a limo is for a funeral.  And I'm not going to get to ride in this one either. :lol:

Not sure about tipping a limo driver, just curious, who's getting married?

13 hours ago, cineater said:

"Madame trash collector" :lol: You sure know how to have a good time! Nah, thats cool. As long as your girls aren't drooling I doubt anyone will confuse them as being "friends of the road." :lol:

-29c here today. Plenty of snow. Im staying in and making large batch lentil curries!!

The proper tip for a limo driver is a doobie. You don't get to ride in it?? No fair!

I keep thinking Im out of garden salsa, but I keep finding jars stashed everywhere! :lol: This ones from 2016 and tastes as fresh as ever!

13 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Not sure about tipping a limo driver, just curious, who's getting married?

My daughter, a June wedding.  Pot seems to be the answer to everything these days. :lol:  It's actually one of those party buses and I don't want to be on it.

1 hour ago, soon said:

"Madame trash collector" :lol: You sure know how to have a good time! Nah, thats cool. As long as your girls aren't drooling I doubt anyone will confuse them as being "friends of the road." :lol:

-29c here today. Plenty of snow. Im staying in and making large batch lentil curries!!

The proper tip for a limo driver is a doobie. You don't get to ride in it?? No fair!

I keep thinking Im out of garden salsa, but I keep finding jars stashed everywhere! :lol: This ones from 2016 and tastes as fresh as ever!

I always wanted to be one of those people who have a road you pick up the trash on.  Don't know why. :lol:  We're a garden club so in addition to the orange vests I guess we should wear a hat with flowers on it, lol.

Damn, I missed watering one of the Joseph Coats.  Poor guy, totally collapsed.  I am really going through some water with all those lights on.

13 minutes ago, cineater said:

I always wanted to be one of those people who have a road you pick up the trash on.  Don't know why. :lol:  We're a garden club so in addition to the orange vests I guess we should wear a hat with flowers on it, lol.

Damn, I missed watering one of the Joseph Coats.  Poor guy, totally collapsed.  I am really going through some water with all those lights on.

I can definitely see the appeal. Will there be a road sign that says "high way cared for by the flower people" or something too? I like the flowered hats idea! :lol:

That sucks about the Joseph Coats. I lost another basil too, same reason. Must be super hot in your grow room too?

1 hour ago, soon said:

I can definitely see the appeal. Will there be a road sign that says "high way cared for by the flower people" or something too? I like the flowered hats idea! :lol:

That sucks about the Joseph Coats. I lost another basil too, same reason. Must be super hot in your grow room too?

There's a sign up already.  We're required to pick up the trash 4 times year.

I don't think I've lost the plant but it's going to need a lot more new leaves, lol.  I'm wondering if it might be something else.  I'm in there everyday so I don't know how I missed that.

We have a nice soft, quiet rain falling.  It freezes on contact and everything is getting in cased in ice.  I know I'm supposed to be reading the gardening book but I feel more like escaping with Neil Peart on the motorcycle and just take off out of here, lol.

Edited by cineater

36 minutes ago, cineater said:

There's a sign up already.  We're required to pick up the trash 4 times year.

I don't think I've lost the plant but it's going to need a lot more new leaves, lol.  I'm wondering if it might be something else.  I'm in there everyday so I don't know how I missed that.

We have a nice soft, quiet rain falling.  It freezes on contact and everything is getting in cased in ice.  I know I'm supposed to be reading the gardening book but I feel more like escaping with Neil Peart on the motorcycle and just take off out of here, lol.

Thats so bad ass to have a road sign :headbang:4 times a year should be reasonable enough.

Did you move the Josephs Coat away form the others until you know what the issue is?

I like the look of it when everything is cased in ice. But not walking on it :lol:. Here, you can pour warm water into a glass, go outside and fling the water into the air and it freezes in the air.

Ive heard that Neil Peart's motorcycle travel memoirs are really good. I listened to an interview with him about his memoirs and travels sometime over the last year. I tried to look it up for you, should you be interested, but al the hits are about his sad passing.

The second library class has been increased to 77 people. 

Good suggestion.  I'll move him away from the others but I'm probably to blame.

The ice is not really affecting the roads yet but then the sun is just going down.  That's cool with the glass of water.  I'll have to try that some time.

Love Neil's books.  His first one was a bicycle ride through Africa.  Not into the comic book series.  He was also a hiker.  Tragic moments in his life but he really made the most of it.  He had a cool home in Canada he liked to write about.

Went to regular rain around 10.  Heavy rains between 11 and 1, flash flooding again.

Edited by cineater

15 hours ago, cineater said:

The second library class has been increased to 77 people. 

Good suggestion.  I'll move him away from the others but I'm probably to blame.

The ice is not really affecting the roads yet but then the sun is just going down.  That's cool with the glass of water.  I'll have to try that some time.

Love Neil's books.  His first one was a bicycle ride through Africa.  Not into the comic book series.  He was also a hiker.  Tragic moments in his life but he really made the most of it.  He had a cool home in Canada he liked to write about.

Went to regular rain around 10.  Heavy rains between 11 and 1, flash flooding again.

Thats amazing! Huge turnouts!

He had a comic series too? Neat. What was his home like?

No!!!! I hope this flooding doesnt get to the amendment bins.

Sounded like a cabin in the woods.  The only room he talked about was the little library room.  Talked mostly about the trails around there he would cross country ski on.  The comic book was the Clockwork stuff.

I did not go to bed until 5 and got up at noon. :lol:  I have to stop this and get back on the day shift schedule.  Wasn't doing anything productive, not that I have to, but I should.

Thats so Canadian that I feel like I know that cabin. lol. I can read about 1000x more when in the library room of a cabin in the woods. And the poet Robert Frost is a must.

Theres this huge storm in Newfoundland, the cars are buried in snow so everyone is cross country skiing. When they open the front door of their homes its just a wall of snow! I saw one guy turn that into a beer fridge. He opens his front door and there are shelves cut into the snow, lined with bottles of beer :lol:

You hippie! :lol: Sometimes its good to just enjoy the still of the night. Probably reading Pearts books? Ive been sleeping in until 8am lately and that feels disorienting.