Gardening

Gracii Guns

Shit, she got flowers, yard work and we're staining her deck this weekend.  She looks at me today and says, you really like yard work.  Did she think I had to do this?  I have other siblings I could guilt into this. :)  I forgot to mention, we did finish plotting her 85th birthday on Mother's Day.  On her 75th I flocked her, pink flamingos all over her yard.  For her 85th, we're goosing her, the whole family is in on it.  One of the guys has those large Canadian Geese decoys we're going to slip into her yard after she goes to bed.  We're dressing them up and ordered her a keeper that is motion activated and will honk at her (we may give her a heart attack or at least make her wet her pants).  Birthdays just get better the older you get.

What is that?  A little green worm that floats in the air.  He must be attached to something I can't see.  He just keep twirling round and round, floating in midair.

I have a flower on my tomato!  And a Gerber Daisy.

Edited by cineater

HAHA those birthday plans sound hilarious.  A motion detector and everything!  She must be a very special women.  Hope the link doesnt startle her too much lol.

You've spoiled her wth Mothers Day already!

Exciting news about the flowers.  Thats such an inspiring moment when you first see the flower.

I hope this message reaches you safe and sound, having survived any attacks by flying green worms :lol: 

"The little green worms hanging on a silk thread from Oak trees are Oak Leafrollers and are basically harmless – a nuisance but harmless. The little green worms feed on Oak Tree leaves and then do what most caterpillars do – form a cocoon and then turn into a moth."

10 hours ago, cineater said:

"The little green worms hanging on a silk thread from Oak trees are Oak Leafrollers and are basically harmless – a nuisance but harmless. The little green worms feed on Oak Tree leaves and then do what most caterpillars do – form a cocoon and then turn into a moth."

Cool! Isnt that one of the fun parts of gardening; learning all these little bits about nature?   Im looking forward to taking my Eye Loupes to explore the microscopic beauty of the plants.

I wish I had a tablet in my tool bucket many times.

I got everything planted, after I trimmed the bushes.  I still have a group of petunia's sprouting and a handful of glad bulbs for moms.  I'm not starting any more stuff.  And since I'm done potting stuff up I cleaned that side of the garage.  It's not what goes on in the middle, it's all that stuff before and after that takes the time. :lol:

• Like 1

5:20 am. Body is up for gardening!  Everything is prepared. Just have to hop on bus, walk from the bus stop to my shed, 20 minutes. See if their is a shovel in my shed, likely walk back to where bus stop is where theres also a hardware store in a strip mall. Buy shovel. Walk back to garden and dig a pit. How bucolic  :lol:

But I am excited to get started regardless of the fact that the fun stuff comes a bit later.  If you don't hear back from me its because I dug myself into the pit, and please send help, lol. 

That's called burying your ass in work.  Would they let you take large gardening tools on the bus?

Up at 6:30, it's raining, thank you.  Waters in all those plants I did yesterday and canceles my deck staining project at mom's tomorrow.  I'll be off in a bit to the greenhouse, time to do the dishes.

:lol:

Kinda technically its allowed on bus, but driver and passengers often look at ya sided eyed.  Last year a driver actually apologized to me after a snarky greeting about my shovel, saying he'd just had to deal with some jerk who also had a bunch of stuff.  Buts its mainly down to my specific needs, such as having a cane in one hand already.  Also bussing right to garden means a transfer onto a bus thats always packed so I cant get seating thats safe for me.  Its a whole to- do.  Cant wait to have my next door garden back.  Work has yet to begin though.

Don't you love it when the rain comes at just the right times, for the garden?! 

We've had a nice soaking rain all day.  Russ got the grass mowed and the garden is beautiful.  I spent 6 hours in the greenhouse washing the pots, nowhere near done, no place I'd rather be.  My castor beans were not there yesterday morning and today, they are up 4 inches.

I've discovered lemon juice on mosquito bites really works!

I have a couple of trees and Crepe Myrtles I grew that they don't want to keep around for the plant sale next year and I forgot to put out this year.  I am determined to get something of mine planted at the new government/police building.  The city landscape manager, Bob, told me it is 12 acres he has to plant so I'm thinking he might put these there.  If not, I'll just ask him what I can grow for him.  

Hope you do get something of yours planted at the government building, @cineater

Well, these last few days have not exactly gone to plan to ay the least. Yet, progress has been made. Was nice to see my seedlings out in the sunlight today as I began hardening them off.

You'll get there.  I spent the whole day at the garden, mostly washing the pots.  Done with those and starting on the trays.  Most of the cool season crops are done.  I had a pretty good side salad while I was taking the last of it out. :lol:

I'm allowed to taste test. :lol:  We send everything we grow to the food pantry.  We do about a ton with them every year.

No go with the city, they are busy opening a pool they remodeled.  I could just volunteer with them and grow in their greenhouses but I think they are more punch the clock.  I like our greenhouse.  I'll get there before 9 and stay as long as I want.  I might even go home and come back.

Mom's yard is looking really good if I do say so myself.  And just when I think it's the last day, her peach trees need trimmed.  I hate peaches.  Maybe I can get one of the grandkids to do it.  They can have all the peaches they want. ;)

It has to stop raining sometime.  Can you put in any seed?

13 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm allowed to taste test. :lol:  We send everything we grow to the food pantry.  We do about a ton with them every year.

No go with the city, they are busy opening a pool they remodeled.  I could just volunteer with them and grow in their greenhouses but I think they are more punch the clock.  I like our greenhouse.  I'll get there before 9 and stay as long as I want.  I might even go home and come back.

Mom's yard is looking really good if I do say so myself.  And just when I think it's the last day, her peach trees need trimmed.  I hate peaches.  Maybe I can get one of the grandkids to do it.  They can have all the peaches they want. ;)

It has to stop raining sometime.  Can you put in any seed?

Of course, you wouldnt want to send the produce with out proper quality assurances! :lol: I think theres actually something to it when the food is shared by all.  A soup kitchen I ate at in my youth was frequented by 'regular' working folks and it just made it seem more mutual and meant everyone had a chance to connect.  A ton of food? Thats really incredible!

Put those kiddos to work!  A peach cobbler as their reward.

Today is looking good so far and sunny skies are forecast.  Im hoping to have at least my peas planted by end of tomorrow.  I cant yet step onto the beds because they are too wet and would compact, so it makes the digging out between them an even slower process.  But all this rain is reassuring me that building up the beds higher and digging the pit is actually the right move, as much of a pain in the ass as it is.  Then dent corn at other end asap since its a long season plant and then my first wave of tomatoes and peppers are dying to get transplanted and are taking over my home!

Hopefully you have sunny skies.  Our raised beds are just a little bit too big for me to reach across.  Would it hurt if I just put my toes on that soil for balance?  Apparently so!  :lol:  Don't eat the food, don't step in the beds, got it.

It's pretty much a given I'm taking over as head garden lead next year.  Okay but I'm not doing this by myself.  I'm already building my team, putting shit in place.  I scheduled a garden meet and greet and everybody just went along with it.  :lol:  I think they were just waiting for somebody to tell them what to do.  I'm great at that and organizing so it runs like clockwork.  Heavy handed on the praise because I notice everything.  I will make you a star and you can live up to it.  Little trick to people management that has worked well for me.

And on the other hand, what the fuck am I doing? :facepalm:  I know it's just natural for me to put my obsessive/compulsive skills to use but I'm pretty sure that's why I retired, tired of always being the responsible one.  I haven't said yes yet, maybe I will come to my senses. :lol:

Tough choice! :lol:

I wasnt able to garden yesterday but will be heading there in an hour and still intend to get my peas sown today. And hopefully today will be the last trip where Im taking stuff to my shed for the year.

Edit: shoot I guess I mean last time transporting tools. Taking all my seedlings, 2 per day is gonna be... err, interesting.

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, cineater said:

You are carrying two flats of seedling on the cross town bus?  You are my hero! :headbang:

I stayed home today.

Thats kind of you to say.  Thanks!  For my second round of seedlings they will be in flats, this first round are already up-potted once or twice, so I will be taking two plants in pots per trip unfortunately. Its gonna be slow going, lol.

Actually while riding the bus I was reminded about your option to get to be a lead when peoples behaviour provoked me to think: 'the only half decent people on this bus are the babies, cineater shouldn't take on peoples shit!' haha. But later as I gardened I was listening to a Star Wars podcast who announced they were about to give a spoiler for the new Solo film. I didn't want to hear it and I tripped over my beds trying to get to my phone to hit pause and all the garden neighbours ran to see if I was okay and we shared a laugh. So that put me back in harmony with the humans. :lol:

I got my peas sown today!  About 50 but I was free styling so I have five or so left over for another bed.  And I dug out some more deep furrows in preparation for the coming 4 days of rain, some storms. It felt good, finally got some of the glorious gardening vibes!

Hope you enjoyed your day off!

Edited by soon

How many pots can you fit in a bucket or your bathroom trash can?  Those should be tall enough to protect the plants and snug them together so they don't fall over.  You can cut apart 6 packs to make them fit better.  I love those plastic kitty litter containers.  I generally keep all my hand tools in one and just carry that around with me, everything I need plus I can drop trash in it.  Great weed buckets too.  Not a bad stool for sitting on and a leg up.  Get the yellow one, you can spot those any where you left them in the garden.  Plus they hose off.

I just get over involved in everything I take on.  I'm trying not to do that.  Leave room for other things and some down time.