Your concerts in 2018

James Bond

I saw Radiohead at the very end of July. I've been a fan of this band for a decade now, and they're my all time favorite, yet I've missed out on every single tour of theirs since 2008 for one reason or another. This time, I lucked out and an online friend had an extra GA ticket he sold to me at cost, so after finally accepting that I would never get to see them, I ended up about 20 feet from the stage. The lighting was subtle but super fitting and the cues were perfect, and the setlist touched upon a LOT of my favorite songs, some really rare cuts, an ever rarer b-side, and hit just about every album of theirs over the course of two hours. Despite all the years of waiting, it was still better than I expected it to be, and it's easily the best show I've ever gone to as of this moment.

Here's a picture I took that night that I really love!

Besides that, in the last few months I've seen a good few shows. I saw My Bloody Valentine the night before Radiohead, Godspeed You Black Emperor a few weeks later, and in May I caught Stone Temple Pilots, Dance Gavin Dance, Underoath, Protest the Hero, and a J-pop band called Fhana. Right now I don't have much coming up, but I might go see toe (a jazzy, math-rock influenced mostly instrumental Japanese band), I have a ticket to see Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park in October, and I might catch a Steven Wilson show with a good friend of mine.

Edited by chevelle

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Bullet for My Valentine last night. What an amazing show from start to end. This band delivers everytime I see them and I've seen them about 10 times already.

They always sell out everytime they come to Dallas.

I don't like We came as Romans, but I commend them for continuing after their singer died a month ago. They dedicated their show to him and said he would want them to carry on. This band is from Detroit, but they had a lot of Dallas fans who came to see them.

Matt Tuck, singer for Bullet, was extra chatty last night. Told us how we always come out to see them when they play Dallas. he thanked us for our support. They played all the hits and then some. Very amazing show!

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, RussTCB said:

Had a REALLY slow summer for shows. Just too much else going on.

I have every intention of seeing Culture Club next Thursday night though.

Oh I love Culture Club. Was always a fan. Boy George is a great singer and I'm so happy he's battled his problems and is still going strong.

enjoy the show!

• Like 1

Damn just found out one of my friends was at the Bullet show with his two little girls. He got to hang with the band after the show.

Joe used to be a singer for the metal band Jackknife and in the early days of BFMV they did some shows together. it's cool to know Matt and Joe still keep in touch. Just wish I would have gotten to hang with the band too. Anyway, Joe posted pictures on his face book. Very cool.

YES! YES! YES!

One of my favourite bands ever, the Dutch punk band Heideroosjes, quit 6 years ago after being together since 1989 (always the same lineup). I made my first ever stagedive during one of their gigs and my last stagedive to date at their farewell tour. Absolutely amazing band and they went out with a bang. ANYWAY! Because they were founded 30 years ago next year, they announced 2 one-off gigs. One in Amsterdam and one in Brussels. Just got my tickets for the Amsterdam show at the fan presale! :headbang:

I'm also really excited to see Ry Cooder in 10 days. The guy is SUCH a monumental guitarist. The man behind the Buena Vista Social Club, the man on slide on the Stones' Sister Morphine and an amazing American roots musician. The guy is SO under-rated imo! I kind of gave up hope on ever seeing him, but he's finally touring again. He's one of my dad's favourite musicians as well, but he's never seen him either. So he's coming as well. Can't wait!  

Stil coming up:

27/10 - Greta Van Fleet
28/10 - Powerwolf
29/10 - Blackberry Smoke
15/11 - Uncle Acid & The Dead Beats
16/11 - The Vintage Caravan
24/11 - Ennio Morricone
07/12 - A Perfect Circle
16/12 - Clutch

22/01/2019 - Avatar
24/02/2019 - Korpiklaani
16/06/2019 - Metallica

• 3 weeks later...

Just hopped back on this board and I figured I'd share my ACL Fest experience (sorry, it's a long one):

• Friday
    • Original plan included seeing BØRNS and Greta Van Fleet, but because of travel, we got inside too late
    • First artist I saw was Khalid, an R&B artist from El Paso. I'm a big fan of his and he exceeded my expectations. Also, I've never seen an artist smile so much on stage.
    • Caught the end of The National's set and they didn't seem bad, heard people saying they didn't do too well, though.
    • Headliner that night was Paul McCartney. I wasn't to crazy about him when the lineup dropped but the "He was a Beatle" argument from family stuck with me. My only words, HOLY SHIT! He did not stop for 2h and 15min, which is crazy for his age. AND HE DID EVERYTHING! He played Beatles songs, Wings songs (LALD pyros were crazy), and his solo stuff. It may be the best concert I've ever been to.
  • Saturday
    • First band on Saturday was a British Alt-Rock band named The Wombats and they kicked ass. They even impressed my mom who is VERY hard to impress. It was a simple three-piece band, but their humor and stage presence stuck with me.
    • Second band was Highly Suspect, who I was interested to see, but I wasn't too impressed by. They didn't play a bad show, it was just the cocky "Hey, we're a rock band and we're gonna fucking rock your face off muthafuckas," that turned me off. Plus, having the whole crowd scream fuck and calling a 9-year-old's parents "fucking stupid" wasn't a nice touch.
    • Third band, or I guess "opening act" was Deftones who were pretty badass. Chino's stage presence was great and he was down in the crowd for about half of their set. My only gripe is that they had sound problems through the first 6-7 songs which caused them to sound all staticy. They walked off, had it fixed, came back, and continued kicking ass.
    • Saturday Headliner was Metallica, it was first time seeing them, and they were amazing. I was maybe 7-8 rows behind the edge of the Snake Pit and I had maybe 10-11 "pinch me" moments. I can watch YouTube videos all day, but the feeling of "Hey, that's actually Kirk Hammett playing the Creeping Death solo," and "James Hetfield is singing Sad But True RIGHT THERE!" It was amazing and I hope to see them again someday,
  • Sunday
    • The original plan for Sunday was to see A R I Z O N A, X Ambassadors, Travis Scott, and Childish Gambino, but because Donald broke his foot, the schedule got re-arranged so me and mom just said screw it and went home.

To anyone who actually read this, thank you, sorry for taking up all this space.

Edited by andrew032302

I ve headed to Dublin in August to see Skid Row and that was the best concert in 2018 for me. I saw GNR twice this year...but it doesn t feel the same with them cause besides the great concert a fan doesn t get anything from them. all merch is a massive ripp off..you pay for vip tickets approx 1000 eur and don t even get to meet a member...no interviews ...no new music... its impossible to not compare it to other bands and then say WTF its all a ripp off. Both GNR and Skid Row are my fav.bands since I was 15..but I got to know Skid Row this year and it is just soo opposite to GNR: they make new records, they spend time with their fans, their meet & greet is meeting the whole band. they don t ripp off people... 

I am sad what GNR have become..

in November I am gonna see danko jones to get through boring autumn. no other interesting acts in Austria in 2018..

22 minutes ago, Natty said:

I ve headed to Dublin in August to see Skid Row and that was the best concert in 2018 for me. I saw GNR twice this year...but it doesn t feel the same with them cause besides the great concert a fan doesn t get anything from them.

:cry::cry::cry:

25 minutes ago, Natty said:

no other interesting acts in Austria in 2018..

i'm sure 2019 will bring us some great concerts to attend;)

35 minutes ago, EricA said:

:cry::cry::cry:

i'm sure 2019 will bring us some great concerts to attend;)

I am sure 2019 will be great! :hug::headbang: we already have some nice shows 2019 hm?!!! SMKC and Skid Row will carry us through the winter.. and i am sure we will get some great summer concerts/festivals too. but that s gonna be postet in 2019 thread then...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Steven Wilson tonight. I knew almost nothing of his music, but I went with a good friend that's tagged along with me to shows of bands HE doesn't know well, so it was my way of returning the favor. As luck would have it though, I really enjoyed most of his set and I'm really looking forward to exploring his music from here on out.

47384403_10217033452206382_7302475195351

Other than that, I caught a Thom Yorke solo show a little over a week ago. Totally different vibe from Radiohead, considering how electronic-focused his music is, but I loved it and got a lot of my favorite solo tracks, plus the live debut of one of his newest tracks. I can't believe I went from never seeing Radiohead/Thom in the entire ten years I've been a fan to seeing them twice in the span of a few months.

47442513_10217033452766396_1431399685066

KROQ almost acoustic Xmas .Cool event squeezed in seeing a lot of bands for first time .Smashing Pumpkins headlined ,AFI Greta Van Fleet ,Bad Relegion ,Third Eye Blind ,30 seconds to Mars (not my favorite but my girlfriend  liked it and they’re entertaining)and a few others were all part of the set .Lots of bang for the buck 

It was supposed to be a really slow concert year for me, but I am actually pretty happy with the acts I've seen. Looking at it, Neil Young will be my only repeat aside from Bumblefoot in various tours he's been involved in and Steven Adler at the Hall of Fame in 2012. However, this was the first time I've seen Bumblefoot with Sons of Apollo. Counting the upcoming Adler and Greta Van Fleet shows, this should be my total tally for 2018- 

-Jack White (Boarding House Reach Tour)- Little Ceaser’s Arena, Detroit
-Sons of Apollo (Psychotic Symphony Tour)- House of Blues, Cleveland
-Neil Young (Solo Tour)- The Fox Theater, Detroit
-Marcus Miller (Detroit Jazz Festival)- Hart Plazza, Detroit
-Emancipator Ensemble (Beralku Tour)- The Blind Pig, Ann Arbor
-Fleetwood Mac (An Evening with Fleetwood Mac Tour)- Little Ceaser’s Arena, Detroit
-Death From Above (Heads Up! Is Now! Tour)- The Magic Stick, Detroit 
-Steven Adler- Diesel Concert Lounge, Chesterfield
-Greta Van Fleet (Anthem of the Peaceful Army Tour)- The Fox Theater, Detroit

Edited by ZoSoRose