Axl Rose & Mariah Carey: Vocal Battle

37 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

She still can, he can't. Anyway, stupid comparison.

If anything her voice has deteriorated more than his if you watch her recent live performances - the ones where she actually is singing live. Not surprising, you're not going to be able to keep singing whistle-register at 50.

• Like 2

Two of the best ever.  At their primes they were masters of the craft.  If they both rehearsed and took care of their voices theyd still be in full beast mode.  Fame damaged them both.  Both selected friends as management.  She's probably the bigger diva, but only because she plays into type.

I hate that Mariah has a reality show.  That must explain we she's not given her rightful position above the rest of the pop pantheon.

2 hours ago, JoeyBananaduck said:

If anything her voice has deteriorated more than his if you watch her recent live performances - the ones where she actually is singing live. Not surprising, you're not going to be able to keep singing whistle-register at 50.

This!!! Axl still has GREAT shows (ACDC, GNR forum). I have not seen ANYTHING from Mariah in 10 years or so that sounds even remotely good. Honestly the only time she sounds good anymore, she is probably lipsinching. 

I watched the video, and trying to be as unbias as possible, but I would give Axl the win overall for sure. I don't think he sounded the best every time, but probably 75% of the time. He dominated the low register imo, about a 50/50 split in the chest notes. It was the high notes that really surprised me. I gave Axl every single one of those. His high notes sound like a banshee wail. They are high, and sound great imo. Mariah on the other hand, I can't stand her high notes. They sound like nails on a chalk board or a dog whistle. Even though these notes are what she is "known" for, they don't sound good to me. They sound like screeching for the sake of screeching. Axl's tone on the high notes is fuller and has more depth imo. 

This is just my opinion of course.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 4

People can criticise Axl all they like, it doesn't stop the fact that his run with AC/DC is possibly one of the greatest things to ever happen, especially with the level he got his voice to, you don't get many singers over 50 being able to sing like that.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2