Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

I always heard rumors that Darcy is a complete junkie and is unrecognizable these days.  No idea if it's true...you'd think she woulda died a while ago if that were.

Just like our AFD 5, it sure would be nice if the four of them actually got back together if for no other reason than the fact that they're all still alive 20 years later.

I saw them in 1999, during the "Arising" tour which was the last time the four played together.  Sucky thing was they played almost exclusively Machina/Machina II stuff, which nobody really wanted to hear, but I guess it's cool that I can say I was there.

Hope they get back together.

All four have been communicating again and seem to be on good terms for the first time since 2000, and of course James already played on Billy's recent solo album. I think they probably all want to do a reunion, but the question is if D'Arcy can do it... supposedly she's healthy now, but she hasn't played music in a long time.

3 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

I always heard rumors that Darcy is a complete junkie and is unrecognizable these days.  No idea if it's true...you'd think she woulda died a while ago if that were.

Just like our AFD 5, it sure would be nice if the four of them actually got back together if for no other reason than the fact that they're all still alive 20 years later.

I saw them in 1999, during the "Arising" tour which was the last time the four played together.  Sucky thing was they played almost exclusively Machina/Machina II stuff, which nobody really wanted to hear, but I guess it's cool that I can say I was there.

Yeah, I heard even that D'arcy moved to hollywood to pursue acting at one point.  Recently Billy said that the only reason that he hadn't reconnected with her earlier is that no one knew where she was for years (I think that was on Rolling Stone Now podcast, maybe).  Since the pumpkins have run a rather tight ship with regards to hard drug abuse and given that D'arcy has surfaced; I kinda think it indicates that she's at least no longer strung out?  Glad she's alive.  Billy says they've been talking regularly after reconnecting about 2 years ago.  They've been open about a desire to maybe reunite and one guess could be that she's in treatment and they'll pull the trigger on tour when she's ready?

I would've loved to see the original lineup when you did.  They played so viciously in that era.  I saw them once and it was like there 9th last show with Melissa and it remains one of my all time favourite shows. 

5 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Oh wow! I had no idea the original lineup toured in 1999. I always assumed 1996 was the last time they played together, and that there were no shows between when Jimmy rejoined and when Darcy left.

on topic: it would be nice if this happens with all four original members. Would be a great way to end the pumpkins legacy on a high note, and it would especially be a great redemption scenario for Darcy. 

If anything, it's cool to see that billy has made amends with James and Darcy, at the very least.

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

All four have been communicating again and seem to be on good terms for the first time since 2000, and of course James already played on Billy's recent solo album. I think they probably all want to do a reunion, but the question is if D'Arcy can do it... supposedly she's healthy now, but she hasn't played music in a long time.

Im glad to hear that she's healthy, I didnt know if that was confirmed.  Theres always Melissa and I think she's available, but of course I'd want D'arcy way more.

He's not a great singer obviously, but I've watched many solo performances these last few months while he was promoting his solo album, and I'm impressed by his voice... normally he would sing out of tune quite often while performing live, but his voice is better and stronger than before.

Just now, EvanG said:

You should listen to the Howard Stern interviews... he talked a lot about his family on that show, apparently his father was a drug dealer and god knows what else.

His dad was also a guitarist, but he didn't teach billy anything. Billy taught himself how to play, and his dad would constantly criticize him, which actually pushed billy to practicing harder, hence why he ended up becoming such a good guitarist by the time smashing pumpkins got going. 

58 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

His dad was also a guitarist, but he didn't teach billy anything. Billy taught himself how to play, and his dad would constantly criticize him, which actually pushed billy to practicing harder, hence why he ended up becoming such a good guitarist by the time smashing pumpkins got going. 

He was a failed musician who told Billy not to start playing guitar. Must be hard for him never having achieved any success as a musician while his son became so successful. He actually playes the solo on the B-side The Last Song. 

• Like 1

Someone on the SP subreddit said it wasn't D'arcy that sent the message, so she still may be involved. I wouldnt be surprised either way.

If she isn't, it is very annoying how so many big bands are doing "half assed" reunions without all their originals. Van Halen, Black Sabbath, GNR...