Smashing Pumpkins Reunion?

soon

I don't know... there are a lot of Asians in this world... I doubt that is the reason that he was hired. He's an excellent guitarist, I'm sure he was picked out for that reason. He's just extremely boring on stage. 

I'm always excited about music from Corgan, and even though a lot of it has been mediocre these last 18 years, I liked his recent solo album quite a bit, so I'll definitely be checking it out. They just better not promote this as a reunion tour if D'arcy isn't a part of it.

With Rubins production Im most concerned about him squashing the drums.  Jimmy has such finesse.  Those drums gotta breathe and his ghost notes and other goodies would be spoiled by Rubins approach.  He's one of the few rock drummers who can just fill a room with this very muscular musicality.  With all the layers of guitar in classic era SP Im not convinced theres ever been a mix that fully captures him.

D’arcy Reveals All About Her Exclusion from Smashing Pumpkins “Reunion”

According to texts from Billy Corgan to D'arcy, James Iha, too, has little or no contribution to new album

By blastecho on February 11, 2018

http://blastecho.com/darcy-reveals-all-about-her-exclusion-from-smashing-pumpkins-reunion/

As a clock winds down on The Smashing Pumpkins’ website, culminating in, presumably, a Thursday announcement of a “reunion” tour, as well as new music, there remains vagueness about why original bassist D’arcy will have no involvement in any of it.

Last month, D’arcy confirmed to BlastEcho that she was very disappointed that she would not be participating in any sort of reunion with the band and apologized to the fans for her absence

D’arcy’s reveal somewhat coincided with a steady diet of Instagram updates by Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan that appeared to be about new Pumpkins music from the original band—or, at least, three-fourths of it—with producer Rick Rubin in Los Angeles.

Now it’s come to light that the only original members involved in most of the recording were, in fact, Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, according to text exchanges between D’arcy and Corgan. D’arcy believes Iha contributed to only one song from the sessions, although that hasn’t been confirmed.

Based on a text conversation between D’arcy and Corgan from mid-January, Corgan wrote, “well, so you know, [original guitarist] James [Iha] isn’t here either. It’s me and Jimmy working and [guitarist] Jeff [Schroeder] now too.”

Further, Corgan texted, “James is focused on his stuff, which is why he isn’t here. And, as far as Rubin, he’s gonna be involved a little but not the whole thing.”

D’arcy said she told that the plan had been to record only one new song with Rick Rubin with all of the original members in January, but unbeknownst to her, the plan changed. She only found out about the recording sessions the same way the rest of the world did: Instagram.

According to D’arcy, Corgan reached out to her through texts trying to explain her exclusion and assuage any worries she might have had after having seen the photo of all her bandmates in an L.A. studio together.

Once Corgan went public, he texted her “as far as you not being involved, there was never any decision to shut you out, or make you not welcome. It’s more about getting on the same page with [the] tour first and then the necessity of the song came up.” He further added, “so focus on [the] tour and I think we can find the right way to have you involved. I know speaking with Jimmy, he wants you involved so that the tour is the best thing we can all give the fans and build for the future.”

Though Corgan recently revealed via Instagram that the band has “26 songs currently in various states of production,” the text exchange between Corgan and D’arcy referenced just one new song.

According to D’arcy, they both spoke many times about their shared desire to “be a band again and to do it right this time and have fun with it in a relaxed environment.” Neither wanted to do a typical “reunion tour.” D’arcy says Corgan told her that Iha and Chamberlin had no desire to record a full album, so they would instead record one new song and then tour the following summer.

Expanding on a previous statement D’arcy made to BlastEcho, D’arcy said that Corgan initially made a contract offer to her, Iha and Chamberlin, which was agreed upon by all parties. However, a month later D’arcy says Billy told her “well, that wasn’t a real offer.” It’s unclear whether or not the initial offer remains for Iha and Chamberlin, although D’arcy is under the impression it is.

An explanation as to why the offer was rescinded, too, remains unclear. Cryptically, she said she has an inkling but “that is a whole other can of worms and a big, ugly one! Another time.”

However, after the offer was pulled, she said he said via text that both Iha–who D’arcy has kept in touch with over the past 16 years–and Chamberlin were “with him” on that decision to reunite without her. “I am totally disgusted with James,” she said via text. “He should be ashamed of himself.”

The clock on the Pumpkins’ website is slated to expire on Thursday, at which point new music and the announcement of a tour slated to begin in July will be revealed. In addition to Corgan, Iha and Chamberlin, Schroeder will play guitar with this new incarnation. It’s also believed, but not confirmed, that Jack Bates, who played bass for the Pumpkins in a recent version of the band, will retain the same role going forward.

This is from Darcy's FB page

I am truly and deeply sorry. I think one other quote needs to be added to that.

It's a text from Billy to me. I will cut/paste.

"Yes, there will always be a crowd but without real backing in an unbelievably tough environment to win in I will walk away so it doesn't matter that there will always be a club full of people wanting to hear old songs"

So that's what Billy thinks about what fans do or don't want.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Wow so it's even worse than the situation between GNR and Izzy/Steven/Matt. Damn shame. I don't get what Billy is talking about in any of those texts. He sounds nuts. On the other hand, it was wrong of D'Arcy to leak messages that Billy, without a doubt, intended to be private.

oh well. I'll still check out the new SP album and see them live. But completely leaving out D'Arcy was such a shitty thing for them to do. She's even pissed at James now! That's a real first! Hopefully that doesn't hit James too hard, and he sticks with the band for this upcoming tour.

Edited by rocknroll41

22 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Steven probably would have relapsed, Bill Ward probably would have died or gone to the hospital, and who knows what could happen with D'arcy.

Whatever. I'm still excited! Have enjoyed quite a big amount of post-breakup Pumpkins, so this will be cool.

Fuck you guys.

All these guys/girls should be given a chance for authenticity sake. All these reunions have an asterisk now.

But yeah, I'm going to go too. Ill complain about it online and go to the show just like I always do :lol:

https://www.alternativenation.net/smashing-pumpkins-darcy-shares-billy-corgan-guns-n-roses-reunion-offer/

I think the other members have been more than reasonable. By her own evidence they made various offers including a guest role.

But like a true addict, everything is someone else’s fault.

Edited by Stress Fracture

It's not even a reunion. We've had Corgan/Chamberlin recordings under the SP name before. Sounds like the exact same scenario here, only with Iha on stage. And honestly, I've liked a lot of Corgan's latter day material. So, this is just more of the same.

As far as the reunion goes, it's a big nothing. But I'll check out the music anyway.

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Billys also planning to play same set list, timed carefully to light show.  He even directly relates it all to GNR.  Someones convinced him that this rigid structure is how to please fans?  But neither band did that in their prime.

No, but he has said that if he is going to do the reunion thing that he wants to do it for the fans and play all the hits, but that his interest won't last very long in that. 

Just now, EvanG said:

No, but he has said that if he is going to do the reunion thing that he wants to do it for the fans and play all the hits, but that his interest won't last very long in that. 

He said in the leaked texts it's going to be a similar setlist with all the specoal effects ala nostalgia grab

35 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He said in the leaked texts it's going to be a similar setlist with all the specoal effects ala nostalgia grab

Yes, that's more or less what he's been saying in interviews, he wants to do the typical reunion thing for the fans but not for too long.

I just read the text exchange, and, I don't know. D'Arcy seemed kind of cold towards him from the start. Now I don't know what was said before the parts she posted, or maybe she just knows him well enough to know when he's being full of shit, but he came off better than her there.

The band has now put out an official statement regarding D'Arcy's absence:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/smashing-pumpkins-darcy-wretzky-accuses-billy-corgan-manipulation-reunion-2240632

theyre claiming they offered her multiple fair offers and she came up with excuse after excuse to turn them down. Judging by the statement, it sounds like Iha is still involved at the very least.

you know what they say: there are three versions of every story; yours, mine, and the truth.

The fact that Iha is siding with Corgan and not taking the side of his ex-girlfriend and only person he remained in contact with since 2000, also says something.... well, either that he desperately needs the reunion money or that D'arcy is the pariah in this soap opera.

• Like 1

The Alternative Nation interview with D'arcy (her first in 20 years) is set to be released tonight or tomorrow, Valentines Day.  To me theres something thats very much in the mode of Melon Collie to that, not to mention the romantic history.

She will seal her fate with its publication, no doubt.