Rumor of a new album???

3 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

I don't think it's made up.

If you make up a rumour saying "Kim Kardashian is a lesbian" that will spread over all the media and it's worth it.

Most of the population couldn't care less about a GNR album, that would make a small headline for like one day so its not worth making that up.

I disagree...

Let's not forget that when Axl was seen without a hat in 2012 he was trending in Yahoo and Facebook for 2 days.

• Haha 1

Guns will release new music. The bigger questions are how, are they still under a contract? Is there any definite contract obligations for an album? If not I could see an independent release. And who will be at the producers helm for the next release? Those are the bigger questions.

20 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I just woke up from a dream about new material. It's a double album like UYI and we will all be very pleased. I met Axl and the others and it was kinda awkward but they were nice and let me listen to it. :lol:

I said something like "Oh, hi Axl, people think you're crazy. Are you crazy?"

Give us a rundown of the tracks then. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I just woke up from a dream about new material. It's a double album like UYI and we will all be very pleased. I met Axl and the others and it was kinda awkward but they were nice and let me listen to it. :lol:

I said something like "Oh, hi Axl, people think you're crazy. Are you crazy?"

Can you remember what you heard? Did you liked? This already happened to me, I spent a good part of the day with that dream in my head but I couldn´t remember the songs.

Anyway, after read all those comments and "learn" a little bit about this prodution thing I'm feeling able to give my two cents..No one of the bands mentioned over here can fit better than GNR on this rumor. IMO, the point is not if the text is talking about GNR (to me it is), the point is if this rumor has any truth on it or it´s just another crazy guy trying to make fun with us.

37 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I just remember that 2 of them were Atlas Shrugged and Soul Monster(if that's the one about Elvis traveling through time and space.) I remember that I heard the audio. Appetite purists will be displeased.

It was like UYI+CD sort of direction but yeah I can't remember much.

Son of a bitch. I just read this and thought you were for realz. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is rather hard to compare the two as Radiohead are a still a relevant act, albeit a middle aged one, whereas Guns now solely exist as this big branded legacy machine. Further, Radiohead are/were never really 'populistic' in the same way Guns N' Roses were, the possible exception being 'Creep' at the beginning of their career. They're more artsy-fartsy and 'studenty' than Guns N' Roses and their personnel are, either by design or deliberation, low-key types whereas Axl and Slash are these big cartoonesque figures.

This is correct...I've never liked Radiohead and only saw them once at a club in Chicago on their 2nd album, but my wife does like them a lot. They still do release music here and there but they're probably on the brink of being a nostalgia act like Pearl Jam is. However, they are still massive and sell out almost every show they play. Their crowds are totally different than the one that Guns draws. Let's just see how Guns does now that the reunion thing has died out and if they do release new music. They'll always be able to fill arenas if Slash, and to a lesser extent Duff, are in the band, but it'll be interesting to see what will happen if they do release new music. If this garbage Def Leppard/Journey tour can play some stadiums in the States like they're booked for this summer, Guns should be able to do the same in certain cities, at least with a bigger name opening band than what they've used so far. 

Edited by GoBucky

wait... radiohead still exist ? lol and no they never have been nor will they ever be bigger than gnr... doesnt matter where you live... ask 3 random strangers to name 3 gnr songs then 3 radiohead songs... i bet my bottom dollar that 9 out of 10 people wont be able to name more than 2 songs by radiohead... i know i couldnt

4 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

wait... radiohead still exist ? lol and no they never have been nor will they ever be bigger than gnr... doesnt matter where you live... ask 3 random strangers to name 3 gnr songs then 3 radiohead songs... i bet my bottom dollar that 9 out of 10 people wont be able to name more than 2 songs by radiohead... i know i couldnt

But Radiohead are not that sort of band. They are more album orientated than song orientated. 

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Radiohead are the type of band who would not even want a hit.

im not knockin them. the stuff i know is decent albeit i dont know much of it... but why were they brought up in this thread? is there speculation that blog or wtv it is might be about them? cuz i certainly wouldnt consider them a-list... and that doesnt mean theyre not a good band

Just now, Hollywood Gunner said:

im not knockin them. the stuff i know is decent albeit i dont know much of it... but why were they brought up in this thread? is there speculation that blog or wtv it is might be about them? cuz i certainly wouldnt consider them a-list... and that doesnt mean theyre not a good band

I cannot stand them personally, but that they're huge is undeniably. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

I wonder what kinda stipulations (if any) were put on Aerosmith when they reunited in the studio.  They leaned heavily on their A&R and had outside writers, was this a producers call?  To be clear I do not think there will be outside writers, but maybe theres other similarities to be found?

Also...

My local rock station plays a ZZ Top song every three tracks.  To fill the remaining space they rotate through:

- Jeff Healy's "Angel Eyes"

- Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway"  

- Boston's "More Than a Feeling"

- A band called The Headstones entire catalogue.  30% must be Canadian Content after all.  

They used to have the Ronnie Wood show which was awesome.  They dont play GNR but they did, sparingly, around the week of the announcement for NITL.  I knew I had a bad station, but after hearing these reports from all over the world now Im pissed.

Maybe it was a stipulation from the label. Isn't there a rumour that Interscope tried at one point to make Axl work with outside writers for CD?

If Axl/the GnR brand is still under contract with Interscope, maybe, even with Slash and Duff back, the label would want to put conditions in order to finance the album (although they have enough money now to finance it themselves). Not outside writers, but probably ceding control to a producer would be a stipulation from the label. But if there's a slight possibility for Axl (and Slash and Duff) to accept stipulations from a producer they like, I think there's no way that Axl would cave in to the label.

------------

What was played on the two local rock radio stations in the past 5 hours or so:

Spoiler

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die
Whitesnake - Is This Love
Sivert Hoyem feat. Marie Munroe - My Thieving Heart
Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Nirvana - Come As You Are
RHCP - Snow (Hey Oh)
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
Violent Femmes - Blister In The Sun
Travis - Idlewild
The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Radiohead - Creep
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Imagine Dragons - Believer
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name
Blackfield - Blackfield
Blur - Song 2
Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You
Chris Rea - Road To Hell
Meredith Brooks - Bitch
AC/DC - Back In Black
Kaleo - Way Down We Go
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Vance Joy - Riptide
Scorpions - Holiday
The Black Keys - Too Afraid To Love
No Doubt - Don't Speak
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - I Hate Myself For Loving You
Portugal.The Man - Feel It Still
Big Brother & The Holding Company - Piece Of My Heart
James - Say Something
HIM - Wings Of A Butterfly
The Rolling Stones - Angie

The Waterboys - The Pan Within
Poets Of The Fall - Carnival Of Rust
Placebo - Meds
Oasis - Wonderwall
Rory Gallagher - Shadow Play
Monsoon - Tokio Hotel
Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger
Kasabian - You're In Love With A Psycho
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
Police - Roxanne
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive
Scorpions - Send Me An Angel
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
Green Day - Holiday/Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
RCHP - Dark Necessities
Chris Isaak - Blue Hotel
Muse - Dead Inside
Urge Overkill - Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon
Hozier - Take Me To Church
Aerosmith - Crazy
Kaleo - I Can't Go On Without You
Eagles - Hotel California
Monophonics - Bang Bang
The Sound - I Can't Escape Myself

The Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
Guns N' Roses - Don't Cry
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Editors - Sugar
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
4 Non Blondes - What's Up
Placebo - The Bitter End
RHCP - Scar Tissue
Sivert Hoyem feat. Marie Munroe - My Thieving Heart
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

Spoiler

Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Blur - Song 2
Scorpions - When The Smoke Is Going Down
The Doors - Riders On The Storm
Sunday Drivers - On My Mind
Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right To Party
The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Melissa Etheridge - Like The Way I Do
Big Brother & The Holding Company - Piece Of My Heart
Carlos Santana & Rob Thomas - Smooth
Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
New Order - Blue Monday
The Killers - Read My Mind
Mando Diao - Dance With Somebody
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
AC/DC - Rock 'N Roll Train
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
Gossip - Heavy Cross
The Ramones - Somebody Put Something In My Drink
Queen - I Want It All
Bloodhound Gang - Fire Water Burn
Blondie - One Way Or Another
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
The Kinks - You Really Got Me
Placebo - Every You Every Me
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive
The Doors - Break On Through
System of a Down - Aerials
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
The Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin
Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Radiohead - Creep
Bolland - You're In The Army Now
James - Senorita
Scorpions - Still Loving You
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
The Cure - Friday I'm In Love
Muse - Dead Inside
Europe - The Final Countdown
Cranberries - Animal Instict
Reamonn - Supergirl
Whitesnake - Is This Love
Travis - Sing
Spin Doctors - Two Princes
Lenny Kravitz - I Belong To You
Queen - We Are The Champions
Connells - 74-75
Blondie - Call Me
The Doors - Light My Fire
Placebo - Twenty Years
Toto - Africa
Steve Miller Band - Serenade
Police - Roxanne
Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
Tracy Chapman - For my lover
The Killers - Read My Mind
Evanescence - My Immortal
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't stop
Scorpions - Holiday
Offspring - Come Out And Play (Keep 'em Separated)
System of a Down - Lonely Day
AC/DC - Back In Black
James - Say Something
3 Doors Down - Here Without You

We are a small market so they've got to have something for "everyone" :lol:

I listen to the radio mostly in the car. I knew that fuckin' Scorpions are very popular, but I hadn't realised that Bon Jovi and Whitesnake have been played so much.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

Radiohead is bigger in Belgium too. And it's not even close. For example, there is a big radio station here that does a top 100 every year of 'timeless' songs. It's not pop songs, it's more rock/alternative orientated. Radiohead has 4 songs in there: Karma Police, Paranoid Android, Creep and Street Spirit. GNR has one, November Rain.  And that's in 2017, the year of the European reunion tour.

I'm far from a hater, as most on here know, and I don't often agree with Diesel, but it's a simple fact that Radiohead is bigger than GNR, at least in some parts of the world. It's no drama. Who cares? Some of you should get over it.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Any band who doesn't want a hit is a douchebag.

That would include my favourite act, Neil Young, so I cannot agree haha. Neil Young was completely embarrassed when 'Heart of Gold' reached US #1 to such an extent that he refused to play the song for years and promptly made a series of unfathomable dark rock albums. 

It would also include Zeppelin who refused to release singles.  

Blimey, how did this thread go from GNR new music rumour to GNR v Radiohead? :blink:  The two aren't even in the same genre, don't have the same sound, or attract the same crowd.  Might as well compare One Direction with Eminem.  

That said, it's pretty obvious to me that different markets have different musical tastes.  I've lived in two different countries, one known for its indie and punk rock, and the other known for its pub/garage rock, and GNR ceased to be relevant in both sometime after 93 when Grunge took over.  What I've learned from this thread is that GNR clearly still gets a lot of airplay in North America and I'm guessing South America, too.  I didn't know that before, I know it now. :lol:  

It doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, just that GNR is relevant in some countries and not in others.

What I find interesting is that London said in his podcast that all the kids his age don't listen to Rock (never mind GNR!) and it's still all about rappers and bling.  So despite the airplay GNR get (in LA at least) Rock is still a niche genre.  I wonder when Rock will have its resurgence? Or maybe it never will?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Blimey, how did this thread go from GNR new music rumour to GNR v Radiohead? :blink: 

It's the old guard getting shook that a 90's alt rock band is more musically relevant today than an 80's cock rock band :lol: I'll just leave these last.fm listening stats here

sF3KfN2.png

6h83RLz.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

What I find interesting is that London said in his podcast that all the kids his age don't listen to Rock (never mind GNR!) and it's still all about rappers and bling.  So despite the airplay GNR get (in LA at least) Rock is still a niche genre.  I wonder when Rock will have its resurgence? Or maybe it never will?

Judging from how things are now, it seems that it never will. Or, at least, it won't in the near future. I talk with kids/teenagers and they are as far from rock as they can be; they can't relate to its music language at all. It wasn't so much like that ten years ago.

I think that maybe rock has run its course as a genre. I don't mean it will cease to exist; there will still be new bands and an audience for it, but it'll never have the impact it had in the past.

Edited by Blackstar