Rumor of a new album???

34 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Axl giving control to the producer just doesn't make sense to me... I can't imagine Slash and Duff doing that either, but especially Axl. This is a notorious control freak who has worked many years on one album.... it doesn't add up. Mike Clink was a good producer for them because he always gave in. Of course maybe this 'gossip' is completely made up and doesn't apply to any band.

Yeah, but we should keep in mind it's been 10 years since he was that control freak on that album and it nearly drove him insane.  There is the possibility that he has learnt from that.  That Axl has clearly behaved very differently on this tour lends credibility to the idea that he might have changed in some ways, or is capable of changing/cooperating when he needs to.

He said himself that never in a million years would he go through the CD process again.  I don't think Mike Clink was a good producer because he gave in, I think he was good because he captured the sound of that band at that time.  Maybe Axl wants him to capture the sound of where they're at now?  

Anyway, like you say, could turn out to be nothing, but what with all the other clues lately, there's a good chance this rumour is true.

Edit: thinking about it, handing over creative control could be the thing they said they'd never do...?

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, but we should keep in mind it's been 10 years since he was that control freak on that album and it nearly drove him insane.  There is the possibility that he has learnt from that.  That Axl has clearly behaved very differently on this tour lends credibility to the idea that he might have changed in some ways, or is capable of changing/cooperating when he needs to.

He said himself that never in a million years would he go through the CD process again.  I don't think Mike Clink was a good producer because he gave in, I think he was good because he captured the sound of that band at that time.  Maybe Axl wants him to capture the sound of where they're at now?  

Anyway, like you say, could turn out to be nothing, but what with all the other clues lately, there's a good chance this rumour is true.

People do change sometimes, but not that drastically, especially not at that age. But I can't imagine Slash and Duff, two veterans, giving up control to a producer either. When you're in your 50s and you've been recording music since your 20s, you don't need an outsider telling you what to do in the studio, no matter what the situation is. But maybe I'm reading too much into that little sentence and it's not as black and white.

5 hours ago, Chunder Monkey said:

It's interesting to ponder who the top 5 producers are?

In Rock terms Rubin comes to mind - but then the boys in VR fired him before hiring Brendan O'brian and then also shit talked Rubin the press.

Thats true, Id forgot about VR with Rubin.  Thats a very strong point against it being Rubin. At the same time they are so in 'industry standard' mode that may still go to who they are expected to, which could still be Rubin?  When I suggest he could be an executive producer I picture him setting those rules in the blind post, showing up for the initial jams/demoing to set vibe, backing off and letting Caram produce and engineer day to day.  Then come back for day one of Slashs leads when Rubin would sit toppless with eyes closed, fanning himself with burning sage and repeating "go back to that place: 1985."  Then he'd come again for day one of Axls vocals, lounge on a fainting couch in a white, hemp onesie repeating "where's the man who attacks biker gangs wearing nothing but underwear, a feather boa and a nazi-esque hat?" before dropping the salvia on the candle lit diffuser and striking a gong.

Basically he'd say bring me __________ type of album and then Caram would produce and mix. Rubin would give it his platinum kiss by signing off on the mix.  Its more common in Country and Hip Hop but Rubin pretty much works this way often too.

In no way do I hope its Rubin, but if it is I hope he never gets to even touch the console.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

People do change sometimes, but not that drastically, especially not at that age. But I can't imagine Slash and Duff, two veterans, giving up control to a producer either. When you're in your 50s and you've been recording music since your 20s, you don't need an outsider telling you what to do in the studio, no matter what the situation is. But maybe I'm reading too much into that little sentence and it's not as black and white.

Could be the thing they said they'd never do...?  All for the greater good, you never know...:shrugs:

• Like 2

This permanent A list rock group has apparently agreed to do something they said they'd never, ever do.  Make another record with (most of) the original lineup.  They just signed a deal with one of the top five most famous producers of all time to take the helm of the project.  Among his stipulations was that every member of the band cede control to the producer, and if any single one member of the band departs or screws up? It is over.  According to one member, no more half-hearted collaborative efforts for that band.  At this point, why would they even try? Aside from the expense of paying off past lawsuits and alimony, they want the money. Apparently all that recent concert money they've recently earned has reminded them they were once that good.  This should be interesting.

It is an ''a-list rock group'' possessing''most of the original lineup'', who've received an uptake of 'recent concert money''. Further, previous ''half-hearted collaborative efforts'' are mentioned as are the paying out on litigation and alimony. 

Hmm,

Well it is not Kiss as they only have 50% of the originals and have not had any recent uptake in gate receipts - they are currently playing cruise ships haha. It is not Metallica as they just recently released an album and their touring has basically remained at the same hightened level for decades. It could be Red Hot Chili Peppers, but why the secretive charade? It is no secret that Red Hot Chili Peppers are working on their twelfth studio album in 2018. Also, like Metallica touring has remained consistently high for them. Bon Jovi recently released an album, and the ''most of the original lineup'' would seem odd in light of Sambora's absence. 

Aerosmith and U2 have all the originals. Maiden are flying high with 'classic ', if not original, line-ups. It only really leaves Def Leppard who last released an album in 2015, Van Halen and Guns N' Roses I'm afraid.

PS

It could be Sabbath also.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It could be Red Hot Chili Peppers, but why the secretive charade? I

How could it be the RHCP? Hillel Slovak died in 1988, and what about them fits in with ''something they'd never do''. They finished two years of touring last year, there's nothing secretive about them, unless John Frusciante comes back for the third time and they don't want that to be out there already, but I doubt that will happen.

21 minutes ago, EvanG said:

How could it be the RHCP? Hillel Slovak died in 1988, and what about them fits in with ''something they'd never do''. They finished two years of touring last year, there's nothing secretive about them, unless John Frusciante comes back for the third time and they don't want that to be out there already, but I doubt that will happen.

I think you misquoted me. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I said the article was secretive (i.e., no band named). RHCP have basically went on record and said, ''yes, we're doing an album in 2018''. 

I still don't understand your reasons for saying ''It could be Red Hot Chili Peppers'', because that doesn't make any sense at all.

Just now, EvanG said:

I still don't understand your reasons for saying ''It could be Red Hot Chili Peppers'', because that doesn't make any sense at all.

For some odd reason you omitted the remainder of my mentioning of RHCP. If you read beyond what you have quoted you would see I basically agreed with you in ruling them out. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

For some odd reason you omitted the remainder of my mentioning of RHCP. If you read beyond what you have quoted you would see I basically agreed with you in ruling them out. 

Then why did you say it could be them, when nothing in the article applies to them, except for them being an A list rock group. You're confusing.

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Then why did you say it could be them, when nothing in the article applies to them, except for them being an A list rock group. You're confusing.

Subjunctive clause for stylistic reasons. Are you not acquainted with the rhetorical technique of raising the possibility (''he could walk the dog'') only to dismiss the possibility (''but he couldn't find his house keys''). 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Never heard of this site. Who remembers The Velvet Rope back in the day? That site had quite a few “insiders” during the CD years 

LOVED the Velvet Rope! Spent all day on there.  That's the first place I "met" MSL- he used to take a beating there, but never backed down.  a lot of good info came out of that place....

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Subjunctive clause for stylistic reasons. Are you not acquainted with the rhetorical technique of raising the possibility (''he could walk the dog'') only to dismiss the possibility (''but he couldn't find his house keys''). 

Ok, gotcha... It could have also been Nirvana, if their leadsinger hadn't died. I should have known better quoting you. Idiot.

• Like 1