I, Tonya (Movie)

RussTCB

It’s probably going to end up being my favourite film of the season (and year, second to Logan). It’s insanely enjoyable and deeply nasty (I enjoy nasty). 

The irony of Robbie, good as she is, playing Harding is impossibly awkward. Tonya was the best American skater of her era and she was the underdog despite that, specifically because she wasn’t attractive. I’m also not onboard with the movie and everyone associated with it pretending they buy she was out of the loop re the hit. 

But it’s so sharp and confronting as it is, I appreciated the way the abuse was depicted. No dramatic build up, just random and unpredictable, which unfortunately felt truly realistic.

Alison Janney deserves the Oscar. The guy who played the bodyguard should at least be nominated, he was an absolute joy.

16 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I want to know why a movie was made out of this shit?

Now Tonya is out doing news shows and probably getting paid tons of money and still you don't know if she was involved or not? I think she was involved, but why should we care now?

Are the big shots in Hollywood running out of movie ideas?

Because it’s an amazing story about class, violence, and the politics of beauty. All very much still relevant.

I do agree that folks are swallowing Tonya’s side of the story a little quickly, though.

40 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I thought it was fine.

It deserves the praise, though it's not in my Top 5 for the year.

Ultimately though, I didn't find it as enjoyable as a dark comedy like Pain & Gain.

What is in your top 5 of the year?

• Like 1

Haven't seen I, Tonya, but did watch Truth and Lies, the Tonya Harding story. This was intermixed with a sitdown interview with her, at the present time. 

All i can say is, whatever sympathy she gained by what was portrayed in the I, Tonya movie, she will have completely negated with this interview. Terrible, bitter, horrible woman. Has not matured or grown one iota. 

19 hours ago, Angelica said:

The irony of Robbie, good as she is, playing Harding is impossibly awkward. Tonya was the best American skater of her era and she was the underdog despite that, specifically because she wasn’t attractive. 

Thank you. I've had this discussion with several people who don't see it this way. Tonya physically was somewhat of a dog. That was a large factor of why the judges couldn't get behind her. Her image was something less than revolting, something more than off-putting. 

Casting the most glamorous actor of this moment in a role that calls for the opposite of that is an inherent oxymoron. I have to take my hat off to Margot Robbie because she owned it despite her god given beauty.

The soundtrack was sublime, if sometimes too on the nose. I got the impression that everyone worked very hard to make this feel like a David O. Russel film.

Saw this in the cinema yesterday. It wasn’t bad, but came across as unnecessarily snide about Harding at some points and going for cheap laughs a few too many times (every line of Janney’s consisted of swearing between cigarette puffs). Soundtrack was good but it’s a shame they didn’t have Jarding pulling off the triple axel to Danny Elfman’s Batman theme as she did in real life. It was shocking to see the bodyguard was almost exactly as delusional in real life as in the film.

My Top Five of 2017 films:

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. mother!

3. Call Me By Your Name 

4. Phantom Thread

5. Dunkirk

https://boxd.it/1pBb6

Best Actress for me was either Jennifer Lawrence for mother! or Sally Hawkins for The Shape of Water, but Margot Robbie was very good. I’d give Best Supporting Actress to Lesley Manville for Phantom Thread. Still need to see Lady Bird.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

I thought it was alright but maybe wasn't in the best mood when I watched it. It struck me as trying a little bit too hard to be GoodFellas with ice skating and it's ironic because that's the blurb I saw on the poster after watching it. :lol: I admire their attempt to really spice up the story and make it less conventional but I'm not sure all the camera interviews and soundtrack choices worked for me, it just didn't seem very organic. But I think I need to see it once more.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I just finished it. I had a very different experience then why others have shared here, I guess. I had to watch it in 3 sittings because it was so difficult to witness. Im just taking the movie as is, with out wondering about her role irl. I found the film to be just devastating. I slice of America.

Loved the film style. Reminded me of The Informant which I also really like.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 7:22 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I want to know why a movie was made out of this shit?

Now Tonya is out doing news shows and probably getting paid tons of money and still you don't know if she was involved or not? I think she was involved, but why should we care now?

Are the big shots in Hollywood running out of movie ideas?

No they are bursting with innovative ways to remake every 80s movie ever made.