Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 43: Rod Jackson, Slash's Snakepit

Back in episode 34, guitarist Ryan Roxie referred to the 2nd Slash's Snakepit record as "rocks best kept secret." Now we get to talk to the man who fronted Snakepit on Ain't Life Grand...Mr. Rod Jackson.

The super charismatic Jackson takes us through his childhood, to making his way to LA, joining Slash's band, why Snakepit broke up, if there's unreleased material, if he's up for a reunion, his brand new solo record, and so much more! Available on iHeartRadio/SoundCloud/iTunes/Spreaker

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Nice! Snakepit mark II was truly the high point of Slash's post GNR output: Serial Killer, Shine, Life's Sweet Drug, Just Like anything...Really killer tracks. M(y)les better than most of what came after. 

Sadly overlooked output -which is kind of understandable considering how dark these times were for Slash.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Back in episode 34, guitarist Ryan Roxie referred to the 2nd Slash's Snakepit record as "rocks best kept secret." Now we get to talk to the man who fronted Snakepit on Ain't Life Grand...Mr. Rod Jackson.

The super charismatic Jackson takes us through his childhood, to making his way to LA, joining Slash's band, why Snakepit broke up, if there's unreleased material, if he's up for a reunion, his brand new solo record, and so much more! Available on iHeartRadio/SoundCloud/iTunes/Spreaker

Enjoy!

wtf you are getting better and better guests, getting closer and closer to GNR

it will be fantastic if you ever get to talk to those five guys, but while that not happens, its truly great to listen to the stories of those who got close to them

:headbang:

a question: do you guys tell listeners in advance about who will be the next guests?

i would love to send some questions for future guests for your consideration

thanks!

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

wtf you are getting better and better guests, getting closer and closer to GNR

it will be fantastic if you ever get to talk to those five guys, but while that not happens, its truly great to listen to the stories of those who got close to them

:headbang:

a question: do you guys tell listeners in advance about who will be the next guests?

i would love to send some questions for future guests for your consideration

thanks!

Thanks! I do announce guests for that reason alone. I kinda hate it because you never know if someone will cancel, but I do wait for double confirmation in emails. You can follow my FB/Twitter for those announcements, both @TheAFDShow. 

FYI Next guest will be Roxana Shirazi, author of The Last Living Slut: Born in Iran, Bred Backstage. LOTS of GnR connections there.

AND I just got a "yes" from Snake Sabo. So hopefully that happens...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

Man you had a bad conection, realy hard to hear wat Rod is saying ! but cool to hear some thing from Rod, they made a good album together !!

I agree it was hard to understand him at times, but it wasn’t the connection. He talks really fast and probably wasn’t on a great cell phone. I usually recommend landline but not everybody has access to that nowadays

• Like 1

Yea I heard him clearly too. Another great interview. I was really looking forward to this one! 

I love Rod to death and loved hearing his stories. He is full of positive energy and very charismatic. Some frontmen just have it from the very beginning. He is very soulful and like the masters of blues and soul lyrics and melodies just flow through his mind and out of his mouth almost effortlessly.

Only issue I have with him after this interview, I may be wrong but I got the vibe he wasn’ being completely honest at times and somewhat in denial. Reminded me of those Adler interviews from a few years ago when he was slipping in and out of sobriety and painting the picture that everything is rosey and they are the happiest they’ve ever been at this point in their lives. Not completely acknowledging the negatives and their wrong doings.

Blaming his inability to release new music on issues with the recording process and not wanting to release anything half-assed. Rod went through some pretty dark times with heroin abuse after Snakepit disbanded. I think I remember him being strong out, broke and barely getting by but to his credit  I actually think he started coming out of it in recent years. Hopefully like Adler he only indulges in smoking pot now. 

I thought the part when he was recounting the reasons Snakepit ended was very interesting. I can understand why despite having his dreams come true, getting a taste of success and playing to big crowds he started feeling like he could be successful on his own. Being in a band with Slash was great and exposed him to the world but it’s not quite the same dream as having success with a band you started.

We all know the real reason why Snakepit 2.0 ended. It ended abruptly because it had to or Slash was going to wind up dead. Which almost happened as Slash wound up having to get his heart fixed after all the years of partying and hard drugs forced Slash reconsider his lifestyle. When Slash says he and the rest of the Snakepit guys were all strung out and I always wondered who he was referring to other than Rod. Johnny, Laug, Kerri or all of them. At one point in this interview Rod did say things are different now as they’ve gotten older. 

I really hope Rod is serious about finally getting his record out in April. That magical soulful rock in roll voice should not remain dormant. I can’t wait to hear it and hear him on the podcast again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Only issue I have with him after this interview, I may be wrong but I got the vibe he wasn’ being completely honest at times and somewhat in denial. Reminded me of those Adler interviews from a few years ago when he was slipping in and out of sobriety and painting the picture that everything is rosey and they are the happiest they’ve ever been at this point in their lives. Not completely acknowledging the negatives and their wrong doings.

Blaming his inability to release new music on issues with the recording process and not wanting to release anything half-assed. Rod went through some pretty dark times with heroin abuse after Snakepit disbanded. I think I remember him being strong out, broke and barely getting by but to his credit  I actually think he started coming out of it in recent years. Hopefully like Adler he only indulges in smoking pot now. 

Good observation for sure.  He might not be using heroin but he doesn't seem to have a completely clean demeanour.   Just in the same way theres the concept of a "dry drunk" which is someone who maintains the same struggles that the booze brought out in them even after stopping drinking.  He's charming, fun, tells stories well and is likeable so i dont wanna come off as sounding negative.  Just hope he's doing well.  Looking forward to his album!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea I heard him clearly too. Another great interview. I was really looking forward to this one! 

I love Rod to death and loved hearing his stories. He is full of positive energy and very charismatic. Some frontmen just have it from the very beginning. He is very soulful and like the masters of blues and soul lyrics and melodies just flow through his mind and out of his mouth almost effortlessly.

I thought the part when he was recounting the reasons Snakepit ended was very interesting. I can understand why despite having his dreams come true, getting a taste of success and playing to big crowds he started feeling like he could be successful on his own. Being in a band with Slash was great and exposed him to the world but it’s not quite the same dream as having success with a band you started.

We all know the real reason why Snakepit 2.0 ended. It ended abruptly because it had to or Slash was going to wind up dead. Which almost happened as Slash wound up having to get his heart fixed after all the years of partying and hard drugs forced Slash reconsider his lifestyle. When Slash says he and the rest of the Snakepit guys were all strung out and I always wondered who he was referring to other than Rod. Johnny, Laug, Kerri or all of them. At one point in this interview Rod did say things are different now as they’ve gotten older. 

I really hope Rod is serious about finally getting his record out in April. That magical soulful rock in roll voice should not remain dormant. I can’t wait to hear it and hear him on the podcast again!

I agree that there’s more to his story, but I respected his choice to not go that route and I didn’t want to push. I’d like to think if/when he comes on again there will be a different trust level and perhaps finally releasing his album will open him up even more.

• Like 1

Yes, Slash's fairly damning on that band in his book. From memory he basically said they were a bunch of druggies leaching off of his celebrity. It was also rather out of the blue and sudden when he folded that band. Remember this was a year or two before Velvet Revolver. If memory serves he was working on a 'solo album' before the Randy Castillo Tribute concert which was the event where Velvet Revolver began and, I supposes derailed Slash's solo album by about seven years.

• Like 1

On 2018-01-22 at 8:06 PM, Gambit83 said:

Thanks! I do announce guests for that reason alone. I kinda hate it because you never know if someone will cancel, but I do wait for double confirmation in emails. You can follow my FB/Twitter for those announcements, both @TheAFDShow. 

FYI Next guest will be Roxana Shirazi, author of The Last Living Slut: Born in Iran, Bred Backstage. LOTS of GnR connections there.

AND I just got a "yes" from Snake Sabo. So hopefully that happens...

Any plans on trying to get Eric Dover on the show to get some insight on the first line up?

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, Slash's fairly damning on that band in his book. From memory he basically said they were a bunch of druggies leaching off of his celebrity. It was also rather out of the blue and sudden when he folded that band. Remember this was a year or two before Velvet Revolver. If memory serves he was working on a 'solo album' before the Randy Castillo Tribute concert which was the event where Velvet Revolver began and, I supposes derailed Slash's solo album by about seven years.

I was always curious what Slash did in the time between Snakepit disbanding and the 2002 VR jam. I wonder how that solo album would've sounded compared to the 2010 one if it had manifested

Also this was a really cool episode, I think my favourite yet because Rod is rather elusive I've never heard of him again since Snakepit which is a shame because he should be known with that kind of voice. Too bad he didn't want to get into the unreleased songs. I wonder when the last time he spoke to Slash was

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yea Slash was working Scott Gorman(Black Crowes drummer). He talks about it here:

But did you specifically know you wanted Matt and Duff there beside you as a rhythm section?

No, this thing came out of nowhere, this was really a fluke. When this first came down I was starting a band with Steve Gorman who is the drummer from the Black Crowes and a bass player. It wasn't necessarily Snakepit, just writing and rehearsing when Randy [Castillo] died and Matt came to me and asked if I wanted to jam at the benefit for Randy's family. Everybody had their own things going; Duff was in Seattle, Scott was still in STP and we had no idea we were going to go there. And everybody just dropped what they were doing. Duff rented a house out here in L.A. and we just focused on this thing.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/velvet_revolver_were_straight_up_f--kin_rock_part_2.html

Another thing in the podcast, the Snakepit songs that were intended for gnr were on the first Snakepit record. By Snakepit II Slash had nothing to do with gnr and the songs on ALG were fresh.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea Slash was working Scott Gorman(Black Crowes drummer). He talks about it here:

But did you specifically know you wanted Matt and Duff there beside you as a rhythm section?

No, this thing came out of nowhere, this was really a fluke. When this first came down I was starting a band with Steve Gorman who is the drummer from the Black Crowes and a bass player. It wasn't necessarily Snakepit, just writing and rehearsing when Randy [Castillo] died and Matt came to me and asked if I wanted to jam at the benefit for Randy's family. Everybody had their own things going; Duff was in Seattle, Scott was still in STP and we had no idea we were going to go there. And everybody just dropped what they were doing. Duff rented a house out here in L.A. and we just focused on this thing.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/velvet_revolver_were_straight_up_f--kin_rock_part_2.html

Another thing in the podcast, the Snakepit songs that were intended for gnr were on the first Snakepit record. By Snakepit II Slash had nothing to do with gnr and the songs on ALG were fresh.

I should reach out to Steve Gorman, I’ve met him and he’s super cool. Does Fox Sports radio now believe it or not.

Thanks for clearing things up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

ALG was supposed to be a GNR song but Slash said Steven could never drum it correctly, so he kept it and it wound up being recorded by him and Duff and Lenny Kravitz and Iggy Pop for a Les Paul tribute album, the song was then called "Burnout". You can actually hear him jamming that riff in some concert footage from I think 92. That album never came out and for ALG he bought back the rights to his song seeing as that was never going to get released, and it ended up being the title track to ALG. I think that was the first song Rod worked on with Slash. And wasn't Speed Parade a song he wrote for pinball that ended up on the album too?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1