Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 43: Rod Jackson, Slash's Snakepit

Snakepit 2 debuted a lot of songs live before the album came out, I remember hearing live audio of a song called 99 Times and an early version of Back to The Moment called “Break You”, which featured Teddy Zigzag playing a nice piano intro. The lead guitar melody Slash plays in that song is a hidden gem, definitely one of Slash’s best. 

• Like 1

It’s also true that Slash nearly died, due to heavy drinking on that album tour, and got pneumonia as well. I remember reading all this stuff on the Slash fan website Snakepit.org

That place was the go to site for info on whatever Slash was doing after he left Guns. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, metallex78 said:

It’s also true that Slash nearly died, due to heavy drinking on that album tour, and got pneumonia as well. I remember reading all this stuff on the Slash fan website Snakepit.org

That place was the go to site for info on whatever Slash was doing after he left Guns. 

I wish Snakepit.org still existed. From googling pics of Rod and Slash I see the source from that site, which is obv gone, but thankfully some pics live on.

images (8).jpg

ssp2.jpg

ssp.jpg

• Like 1

The album was delayed for ages as Slash had been dropped after the late-'90s corporate mergers and he consequentially struggled to find a label - ultimately a German label put it out (Koch) and it didn't really get the support it deserved. You have to remember that it wasn't a foregone conclusion that it would tank: the first Snakepit album had sold fairly well and this was before the recording industry collapsed. 

• Like 1

Yea man the good ol’ days  of Snakepit.org!

The legacy of that fan site is unmatched til this date. It was constantly updated. Kudos to Linda who ran it!  She had a direct line to Slash. It was practically his first unofficial-official website and helped me become an even bigger Slash fan. My pics from the Snakepit show in a relatively small club in Old Bridge, NJ, by Slash standards, is probably still up on the site

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I wish Snakepit.org still existed. From googling pics of Rod and Slash I see the source from that site, which is obv gone, but thankfully some pics live on.

images (8).jpg

ssp2.jpg

ssp.jpg

Here's an archived version of Snakepit.org from September 2001, enjoy! ;)

https://web.archive.org/web/20010923234832/http://snakepit.org:80/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snakepit.org used to be a daily stop for me. Good times..

I never really cared for Rod Jackson.  I remember wanting to like ALG a lot more than I did. There is still some pretty good stuff but I find it slightly over rated among Slash fans. Especially Serial Killer.. I just don't get all the love for that one.  I know how much people love it and I have tried but it is just so cheesy..

I did get to see them twice that tour. Once opening for AC/DC and once headlining a small club in Hyannis MA. If I recall the show was moved to that location for lack of ticket sales but I am not 100% on that. I was actually lucky enough to meet Slash outside his hotel after that show. I was hammered and starstruck as I was a bit younger at the time but he was cool as hell. He shot the shit with me and my buddy for maybe 1/2 hour. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I never really cared for Rod Jackson.  I remember wanting to like ALG a lot more than I did. There is still some pretty good stuff but I find it slightly over rated among Slash fans. Especially Serial Killer.. I just don't get all the love for that one.  I know how much people love it and I have tried but it is just so cheesy..

I did get to see them twice that tour. Once opening for AC/DC and once headlining a small club in Hyannis MA. If I recall the show was moved to that location for lack of ticket sales but I am not 100% on that. I was actually lucky enough to meet Slash outside his hotel after that show. I was hammered and starstruck as I was a bit younger at the time but he was cool as hell. He shot the shit with me and my buddy for maybe 1/2 hour. 

Oh man, I used to live in Cape Cod and went to Hyannis all the time...I would have killed to see that show!

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It's the guitar work on Serial Killer that makes the song great.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I seem to remember it being an excellent show. It was great seeing someone of Slash's pedigree in a little club. It was that long ago though.

I still have a t-shirt from it. 

I still have the shirt too. My first time meeting Slash. The good ol days when he was more accessible. They set up a meet and greet table after the show. Got a pic with him then he hung out a bit outside by the bus. I got my Slash poster out of my car and he used my back to sign it. Then Perla showed up and got him in the bus. 

I also had seen them on their first run opening for AC/DC at the meadowlands. That was great but the tiny club show was surreal!

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never been able to find a bootleg of that show. 

Yea hard to believe there’s not one boot of those club shows anywhere. Probably because there were no smart phones and YouTube and bootleggers didn’t bother. Diehard fans just wanted to see Slash play his most intimate shows since guns club days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derick said:

Since you guys are talking about Snakepit..Someone can tell me please were can I find this interview? I mean, full interview..I tried on YouTube but I can’t find it..I don’t know were and when he maked this interview..So :shrugs:

🤘🏻

• Thanks 1

I've never bothered to download them but this is all I have discovered from that era,

Slash live in Wilkes-Barre 2000 - 1DVD - August 22

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f146/slash-live-wilkes-barre-2000-1dvd-august-22-a-355593.html

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f146/slashs-snakepit-live-wilkes-barre-2000-1dvd-august-22-a-218390.html

Slash live in Osaka 2000 - 2CD - November 4

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/slash-live-osaka-2000-2cd-november-4-a-312969.html

PS

Anyone remember this?

''I'm a loaded gun, ready to come. Now it's time for Pleassen''

haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

lol that was the very first VR or ‘The Project’ demo we heard.

I Forget who the singer was but he got all excited and leaked it on his site. The guys quickly pounced on it and got him to take it down. 

I did like the Kelly Shaeffer from Neurotica demos though. Room 169 & Eye For an Eye

• Like 1

• downzy unpinned this topic