2018 Oscar Nominations

Black Sabbath

17 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Phantom Thread was pretty fantastic.

It’s the only film in contention that I can imagine being considered a legitimate classic in 20 years. 

On 1/27/2018 at 7:35 AM, Amir said:

While I did overall enjoy Three Billboards, I agree it was messy (the monologue about culpability was especially awkward and hamfisted) and respect your opinion.

WHAT THE FUCK

:lol:

I’ve been less cranky this year than in years past. Last year I was happy with the Moonlight win, would have been happy with La La Land, too, but I was unbelievably cranky when Birdman won in 2015; my least favourite Best Picture winner since Crash.

Well, Birdman is one of my favorite winners ever so we’re alreasy off to a poor start. 😂

I disliked CMBYN immensely. I can’t see Oliver as anything but manipulative and predatory. Michael Stuhlberg’s scene at the end is beautiful but the film doesn’t begin to earn it. Hammer looks mid 30s while Chalamet looks at best 15 (and in the love scenes often seemed to have been deliberately shot to look even smaller and younger). Also, not as striking visually as it should’ve been given the location. *shrugs*

I haven’t seen Loveless, but at this point I’m rooting for The Square for foreign film. If I made a top five it would be second to Phantom Thread.

On 02/02/2018 at 1:48 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Tried to watch Call Me By Your Name two different times and couldn’t get into it, and honestly, won’t be trying to watch it again.

I don’t think it was necessarily bad, from what I did watch, albeit seeming pretentious.

I’m glad I saw CMBYN in the cinema because I thought the same thing until about halfway through. Not sure when exactly the film won me over, it may have been the fountain scene. Reminded me of when I first tried to watch Barry Lyndon and gave up halfway through; it’s now one of my favourite films of all time.

4 hours ago, Angelica said:

I disliked CMBYN immensely. I can’t see Oliver as anything but manipulative and predatory. Michael Stuhlberg’s scene at the end is beautiful but the film doesn’t begin to earn it. Hammer looks mid 30s while Chalamet looks at best 15 (and in the love scenes often seemed to have been deliberately shot to look even smaller and younger). Also, not as striking visually as it should’ve been given the location. *shrugs*

I got the impression throughout the film that Élio is the one chasing Oliver, the latter trying to suppress his urges (we hear him mention being worried about being sent to a correctional institute of his dad found out), and later on always trying to make sure Oliver is comfortable. To me they both look like guys in their early twenties, but I guess that’s because I can think of a few of my friends at that age who looked similarly mature or immature.

18 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

My current rankings:

1. Three Billboards
2. The Shape of Water
3. Phantom Thread
4. Get Out
5. Dunkirk
6. Darkest Hour
7. The Post
8. Call Me By Your Name (As I stated before, I tried more than once to watch it, but just couldn't get into it at all, and ultimately gave up and will not be trying again.)

I am by no means trying to disagree or argue with your opinion, but what about "Get Out" makes you rate it as 4/8....for an Oscar Nominated Best Picture.   It may very well be the 4th most enjoyable film of the 8, but I don't see anything about it that would quality it as even being worthy or a Best Picture Nom, let alone not last on any such list.  I'm serious, not trolling either, I feel as If I am missing something?  And, yes I have seen it and all 9 pics that were nominated.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I am by no means trying to disagree or argue with your opinion, but what about "Get Out" makes you rate it as 4/8....for an Oscar Nominated Best Picture.   It may very well be the 4th most enjoyable film of the 8, but I don't see anything about it that would quality it as even being worthy or a Best Picture Nom, let alone not last on any such list.  I'm serious, not trolling either, I feel as If I am missing something?  And, yes I have seen it and all 9 pics that were nominated.  

So not counting, Call Me By Your Name (I ranked it, but shouldn't have as I never finished it), the other three after Get Out I didn't find anything fresh or "wow" about them. Dunkirk, albeit amazing cinematography, was fairly boring overall; Admittedly I was a little disappointing. Darkest Hour is only notable due to Oldman's performance, and honestly, if he wasn't in it and wasn't as good as he is in it, it wouldn't be getting the recognition it is. A good movie overall, though. The Post, as Amir said in another thread, was quite pretentious and even more boring than Dunkirk or Darkest Hour, with no real notable performances, or even a very engaging story.

Get Out is slightly overshadowed by the huge critical praise it got. While I agree most of it was deserved, that tends to ruins peoples perceptions of movies like that. I thought it was a fresh, original idea, with a pretty engaging "Damn, what the fuck" story that would keep most viewers guessing the whole movie. I don't think Daniel Kaluuya exactly deserved a nomination for Best Actor, but I think Peele certainly deserves the nomination, especially for a directorial debut. 

It's not in my personal Top 5 of the year, but I even putting aside my general enjoyment of the film and just looking at it in a critic-aspect, I still would rank it above those others, I as really (unfortunately) did not find them to be very special.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:40 PM, Black Sabbath said:

So not counting, Call Me By Your Name (I ranked it, but shouldn't have as I never finished it), the other three after Get Out I didn't find anything fresh or "wow" about them. Dunkirk, albeit amazing cinematography, was fairly boring overall; Admittedly I was a little disappointing. Darkest Hour is only notable due to Oldman's performance, and honestly, if he wasn't in it and wasn't as good as he is in it, it wouldn't be getting the recognition it is. A good movie overall, though. The Post, as Amir said in another thread, was quite pretentious and even more boring than Dunkirk or Darkest Hour, with no real notable performances, or even a very engaging story.

Get Out is slightly overshadowed by the huge critical praise it got. While I agree most of it was deserved, that tends to ruins peoples perceptions of movies like that. I thought it was a fresh, original idea, with a pretty engaging "Damn, what the fuck" story that would keep most viewers guessing the whole movie. I don't think Daniel Kaluuya exactly deserved a nomination for Best Actor, but I think Peele certainly deserves the nomination, especially for a directorial debut. 

It's not in my personal Top 5 of the year, but I even putting aside my general enjoyment of the film and just looking at it in a critic-aspect, I still would rank it above those others, I as really (unfortunately) did not find them to be very special.

Thanks for responding......I guess I could try argue with you about Dunkirk being special, but if I do that then it is beyond me how Blade Runner didn't get a nom and I believe Darkest Hour solely got a best pic nom b/c of Oldman's performance. But, that isn't the point.  

I guess I can see where you are coming from with Get Out.  I generally liked the movie, so I can get on board with it, I am just lacking to see where it is special.  But, then again we've been down this road before with Best Picture nominations. You've made a good argument as to its inclusion.  I'll give you that :)

Totally agree with you on The Post by the way!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw on the news that Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway will be back to read the award for Best Picture since last year's screw up with the movie that was supposed to win. lol

Honestly, I love Faye, but both she and Warren are so damn old and probably have trouble hearing and seeing, so why put them through this again. Who was responsible for the wrong card?

You know Jimmy Kimmel will take every advantage to put this debacle up during the Oscars on Sunday night. I won't be watching since I have to watch TWD and honestly, I'm more curious as to the pre-shows and how Ryan Seacrist will do because I'm not sure if he will be interviewing any actors since his accusations. I don't think anyone should be criticized if nothing can be proven.

anyway, good luck to the people nominated. I read it in online on Monday.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

has he got his nob out? :lol:

Holy Shit! Where is this? Wow! Whoever did is is not holding back!

didn't watch much of it, but I'm so glad "The Shape of Water" won for best picture and Del Toro for best director. He dared do something different and won.

I've just pre-ordered the movie from amazon. After seeing some scenes during the Oscars last night, I have to see it. The fish man already has my heart. I expect to be crying watching this movie.

I thought Jimmy did a good job. Not really many surprises on the actors and actresses who won, but the best picture was a shocker, but in a great way!

I wasn't wild about either of their movies, but it is very pleasing to see two personal favorites of mine like Sam and Gary be academy recognized.

Gary especially, for his passion, versatility and the mark he's made on cinema. Those who truly appreciate the art of acting hold him up as a standard for excellence. 

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

didn't watch much of it, but I'm so glad "The Shape of Water" won for best picture and Del Toro for best director. He dared do something different and won.

I've just pre-ordered the movie from amazon. After seeing some scenes during the Oscars last night, I have to see it. The fish man already has my heart. I expect to be crying watching this movie.

I thought Jimmy did a good job. Not really many surprises on the actors and actresses who won, but the best picture was a shocker, but in a great way!

Why was Best Picture a shocker?  It has been the favorite for quite some time.   

Been trying to binge watch the best picture nominees recently.

For me;

The Shaper of Water ****3/4 (Absolutely loved it, very memorable and deserving)

The Phantom Thread ****3/4 (Fantastic)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ****1/2 (Very good and even though it's a different type of film, reminded me of No Country for Old Men. Not predictable.)

Dunkirk **** 1/2 (Excellent big screen experience and what the cinema was made for)

Darkest Hour ***3/4 (Gary Oldman's acting is great at certain points and elevates it)

Get Out *** 1/4 (Solid B-movie horror remake of the Stepford Wives, but not best picture worthy)

Edited by AtariLegend

• 2 weeks later...

I got The Shape of Water from amazon today. I will have to find the time to watch it during the weekend. I'm very anxious to see it. From some of the scenes I've seen during the Oscars, it looks very good and also very sad. I cry at so many movies these days. I do like Del Toro's movies and loved the tv show The Strain, to I'm sure this movie will be amazing and winning the Oscar was well deserved for him.