Why is Chinese Democracy so hated?

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe Axl evolved and changed but the band didn't..  The "band' died.. After Slash, Duff and Izzy left and Matt was fired there was no more band. There was no evolution of the band.. It was just gone..  For a long time. Then a new band with a totally different look and sound emerged.. 

L1: Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Gilby, Matt

L2: Axl, Slash, Duff, Dizzy, Paul, Matt

L3: Axl, Duff, Dizzy, Matt, Paul

L4: Axl, Duff, Dizzy, Josh, Paul

L5: Axl, Robin, Dizzy, Josh, Paul

I probably got it wrong and additional lineups should be included in there. Still, my point is that there wasn't one lineup that disintegrated and then there was nothing and then "new GNR" came to be. It was numerous transitions. It was a gradual change from "old Guns" to "new Guns". Duff, for instance, was in the band until 1997 and played with many new guys. And it is not like the band didn't do anything, either, in this period, besides rotate band members, by all accounts the band rehearsed and recorded throughout this period. So I don't agree.

On 27-1-2018 at 10:54 PM, TheGeneral said:

Okay, so there have probably been a million threads about this but I'm sorry I just don't get it.

I am 18, so a younger fan of GNR. I started listening around 2014/15. I wasn't around for the pre-CD Era so I don't get that connection-feeling for the AFD5 which I think is actually a good thing since I can be neutral on many topics.

I got to be neutral on AFD, Lies, UYI, Spaghetti Incident and also Chinese Democracy. I enjoyed them all, but CD always stood out to me. I had to get used to it, to the sound of the songs and Axls voice but thats what I love about it: It's something completely different. I like the many 'layers' it has. I like everything about it. I even like the songs that I would consider 'bad'. 

After reading on the forums the only reason many people hate it is because it was released under the name "Guns N Roses"...but who cares about that? Yeah, it was Axl alone. But I bet if Slash stayed in the band and the album would have consisted of Axl, Slash & NuGNR nobody would have complained. It doesn't really matter to me anyway since to me GNR is Axls voice, to others it may be Slashs riffs. And thats okay with me. To each their own.

I also think CD gave us one of the best GNR songs ever: Better.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here on their beliefs on who or what GNR is, just please explain to a young GNR fan that is new to this forum why there are so many haters because I think it is a great album.

It's a collection of songs that could've been great but were ruined by horrible over-over-over-production and re-re-re-recording. The songs are essentially good, but the finally released product lacks direction and focus because way too many worked on it over a way too long period. As an album it's a bloated mess that doesn't gel together and it's too long (mind you, the UYI's suffer from this problem too). In my opinion every song we've heard demo's of from the 1998-2004 era were better in it's demo form. Much leaner. 

Also, I never got the deal about Better. The Blues, CD, Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute and Madagascar are all way better songs imo. 

Ultimately the album is a perfect reflection of the 10+ year road towards it - messy and all over the place.

to be honest i listen chinese democracy once in a year...one song or two like catcher in the rye or the blues street of dreams,and this just cause axl is there and i'm fooling myself cause his voice sounds like on the illusions albums....but not! chinese democracy is full of computerized era...wich is sad....it could have been a great album....but Axl creativity speaking, is not that great without his buddies behind him to save his ass and feed his ego's

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, DieselDaisy said:

It is unbelievably arrogant to believe people cannot dislike this record for any reason other than, ''Slash not being present''. 

And yet a LOT of people don't like this record because "Slash isn't on it." Check out any youtube video from the NITL tour where they're playing Chinese Democracy songs. There are plenty of "Song is actually good with Slash playing it" comments it's ridiculous.