Thoughts on CD songs played live on NITL tour song by song

I've thought long about Chinese Democracy & really do appreciate the creative masterpiece it is, even if some others can't see or feel it. Since the NITL Tour began, I've had a fascination with how the tracks being played sound with Slash & Duff. Thus, I felt that I'd open a new thread regarding mine & all others' thoughts & feelings about CD songs being played live, both those that have been played & those that have not, regarding their suitability at being played at current Gn'R shows. I will list mine according to the album's order & express my opinion on each.

Chinese Democracy:  Slash's guitaring breathes a new life into this number; the rough rock n' roll sound works well & although a rocker tune in the form of a calmer Perfect Crime or Right Next Door To Hell, its place in the setlist is of symbolic importance.

Shackler's Revenge: I've always admired this track, feeling it a monster of a song but of a style that doesn't fit in with a classic Gn'R setlist.

Better: Seemingly many peoples' favourite song from this album, even considered a masterpiece by many. Admittedly, it was widely favoured by myself during its '06 leaking & its performances are very solid & none less than professional. Although I've forgotten its spirit for sometime, I do concede that it is another CD essential for the setlist & fits in wonderfully to the setlist.

Street Of Dreams: Not yet played live, but definitely a tune I'd be curious to hear performed. I'll bet that Slash can really embrace this one & make it his own.

If The World: Now there's a funky, wild & unpredictable song that takes a turn at each corner. For sure a number I would love to hear Slash lay his magic onto; perhaps not a song for every concert but at least one to be performed to some significance.

There Was A Time: I've always admired this song greatly & its feel greatly feels the flow of a Gn'R show, but something tells me that it is a bit foreign to Slash's way of guitaring.

Scraped: A wild, crazy rocker which would be great performed at least a few shows. Definitely something I'd like to hear Slash own, but scratch my head often wondering whether Axl could handle its intensity.

Riad N' The Bedouins: One song I can say doesn't even seem to fit within the CD album, let alone a Gn'R concert. Not a song I'd feel fit any show of any sorts really.

Sorry: Now there is a song to really appreciate. Slash's bluesy work & mouthgapingly amazing extended solos make this a monster of a badass song in live setting; if only it would be brought permanently into the setlist.

I.R.S.: A great passionate rocker from CD that I felt very happy to hear live in '07, but much like Shackler's Revenge, one that to me doesn't resonate with the flow of the energy of a typical Gn'R NITL concert.

Madagascar: I'm glad to have seen it performed a number of times, fairly fitting, but I won't miss it if it is cut from the setlist in future.

This I Love: Another Gn'R concert essential; Axl's passion & its perfect moulding into the Gn'R ballad category make it a must play song; Slash really gives the tune that right feel.

Prostitute: Now there's another song I'd like to stay in the setlist. Just like the previous mentioned, one you could call a perfect Gn'R ballad & its beautiful smooth yet energetic flow truly fits a Gn'R setlist. Fans have long screamed for its live playing & after watching its performances, Slash own this number just as well & I hope that it stays part of the setlist.

Edited by Screamin' Demon
More accurate thread title
  • Like 1

I've enjoyed every Chinese song that's been played, but Slash and Duff breathe new life into the title track, which has become a highlight of the shows.

Edit: Also, Prostitute.

The performance from the Forum is the only track I keep going back to listen to from that night. 

Edited by F*ck Fear

I can't wait for them to drop Sorry. I really don't like it on the setlist, it kills any excitement.

But for that they should add Street of Dreams. Thats such a great song and since 2006 it has been played live at nearly every show (I think)...why not for this tour?

I think Scraped would be cool. That song kicks ass even though many hate it, I like the "do whatever you want" message it has

• Like 1

CD sounds great with this line-up, Slash adds that extra rock n roll element to it, Fortus nails the solo, and Melissa's backing vocals fit perfectly.

Better is unfortunately bland now, though. The new intro is cool but the rest of the song rarely sounds good, and it's usually one of Axl's worst songs vocally.

There Was A Time is hit or miss, I still think their best version was from LA 2016, but Slash sounded better on the solos in late 2017.

Catcher is usually one of the highlights IMO, everyone sounds good on it. The clean vocals work, and Duff and Slash seem to enjoy it.

Sorry is musically one of the best, Slash's tone and style fits really well. Unfortunately Axl usually sucks on this song, and the pre-recorded vocals just ruin the whole thing. 

Madagascar is good, I thought Slash sounded odd in the verses at first but overall this line-up plays the song well.

This I Love should have been dropped after 2016, I honestly don't recall a performance of it from last year where Axl didn't sound fucking awful. Plus Slash not seeming to give a fuck about the solo makes it drag even more, most of the time.

Prostitute, as ironic as it is to hear this band play it, is awesome. Hope they keep this one in the set.

Welp, since SOD is about Slash, I don't think we'll be seeing that song added to the setlist any time soon, right @RussTCB;)

As for the other CD songs, Slash and Duff absolutely upped their game from the middle of the final NA leg onwards.  The CD songs improved with every show.  Prior to that, I was calling for them to be dropped.  I'm still not sold on their inclusion post NITL tour.  I can't see them being all that well received at festivals like Download for instance.  

But Slash absolutely nailed all those solos by the end, even both TWAT solos!  And Duff injected some much needed pace and drive into them.  My favourites from the tour were Better, Sorry and Prositute.

• Like 1

ChiDem- Fucking awesome. Slash owns this song and I like Melissa when you can hear her. I love the album version but this also kicks ass. Its way more punky/raw and Slashs tone is heavy as fuck. His solo is great and Richard nails Buckets parts

Better-  When Axl sounds good its a set highlight for me. I remember the Chicago 2016 show I saw with @RussTCB was one of my favorite songs of the night. I still listen to the boot of it. I like Slash's solo for Better, too. One of the few he actually seemed to think about and write for a Chinese song. Its a lot more "rocky" than Robins. It isnt better or worse, just different and thats what I want from Slashed up Chinese songs.

This I Love- This blew me away in 2016. Each of the 3 versions I saw that year were very powerful. The Vegas and Detroit ones were a bit slower and more thought out while the Chicago one was fast and fierce (but not too noodley). Unfortunatly, Slash seemed to get a little disinterested in the song. The 2017 versions Ive heard and the one show I saw were a bit shreddy and wanky for my tastes. Not bad, but not as good. Axl always sounds pretty good on this one as far as I can tell 

There Was A Time- I dont mind this one being pretty much unchanged for some reason. It's cool seeing Slash working hard to play it close to the album and the past few times seem to have sounded good. Wish I got it at a show.

Sorry- The song as a whole is fantastic with Slash. He adds so much guitar wise throughout it. I wish Axl would sing the pre chorus in his lower register but whatever. As good as he is throughout the song, Slash's solos are a bit hit and miss for me. I really wish he would slow the fuck down most of the time. 

Catcher In The Rye- I probably havent heard all the versions out there but I think its ok. Its a great song and Id be happy to get it at a show. Overall, I prefer Bumblefoot's take on the song but I still think Slash does a good job. 

Madagascar- The current band sounds really tight on this. Axl sounds awesome too. I like what Slash does in the chorus (although he was almost inaudible on this song at the show I got it at) but this is one of the ChiDem songs I wish they changed up a but with Slash. They could have done sone cool things in the middle with him. Still a great song and they nail it.

Prostitute- I was just really happy to hear this live in person. Axl was unhinged but sounded badass and Slash was killer on the solos. Im glad they jam the outro a bit now. The song is still a little sloppy though, I think the way Dizzy transitions from the first solo is a little awkward but his keys sound good during the chorus.

Overall, I think all the Chinese songs sound good but some are better than others. I agree that a few of them would benefit from Slash slowing down. ChiDem, Better, and TiL were all really enjoyable for me in 2016 and I liked hearing a few new ones this year. Now how about some more UYI or AfD?

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

Oh and I agree that they should stop adding more Chinese songs. I really like the album but I would give my left arm for Think About You, Pretty Tied Up or Bad Obsession.

Although I would love to hear Shacklers Revenge, I.R.S. etc live, don't add them. Just stop playing for example Sorry and play Shacklers instead. 

Drop Sorry add Shacklers Revenge/Street of Dreams

Drop This I Love add I.R.S./Scraped

Drop Black Hole Sun add Think About You

Drop The Seeker add Pretty Tied Up

Drop Wichita Lineman (really like it but...) add Bad Obsession

• Like 1

Just alternate the songs. There is enough music so they can do this.

Black Hole Sun/Mama Kin

The Seeker/Nice Boys

Better/Shackler's Revenge

This I Love/Street Of Dreams

Sorry/If The World

Coma/Locomotive/Breakdown

Double Talkin' Jive/Pretty Tied Up

Attitude-New Rose/So Fine 

Throw in You're Crazy and Think About You.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Just alternate the songs. There is enough music so they can do this.

Black Hole Sun/Mama Kin

The Seeker/Nice Boys

Better/Shackler's Revenge

This I Love/Street Of Dreams

Sorry/If The World

Coma/Locomotive/Breakdown

Double Talkin' Jive/Pretty Tied Up

Attitude-New Rose/So Fine 

Throw in You're Crazy and Think About You.

Duff could also sing Dust N' Bones and 14 Years

• Like 1

Chinese- I like how Slash did the opening riff in Drop D (C# maybe?) as opposed to the way it's played on the record. Great 3rd song for that setlist order.

Better- The intro is fucking killer. It just keeps building and then it goes silent and all you hear is Slash playing those two chords. 

Catcher in the Rye- My 2nd favorite GN'R song after Nightrain. It might be tied for 1st if I'm being honest. Really cool how they stripped it down a little while staying true to the record. I like how Slash does the synth parts on his guitar. Bummed out I didn't get it at any of the shows I attended. 

TWAT- Absolute monster of a song on the record and probably the best CD era song. The best performances was in San Diego in 2016. Bummed I didn't get this one either. 

TIL- Always happy to hear this one live. I will say that I'm not a fan of the solo, however. I expected Slash to knock that solo out of the park, and he did for the first few shows in April. But as someone mentioned before, he's probably lost interest in it.

Sorry- Kind of neutral on this one, tbh. The only time I saw it was at the St. Louis show and they fuckin killed it.

Madagascar- A song I was excited to see live. I remember being at the Milwaukee show and getting excited when they started playing the song because I forgot they'd thrown it in the set. 

Prostitute- A song I never thought I'd see live. They may have gotten TWAT at the MSG shows, but we got fuckin Prostitute on the 2nd half of the tour (GN'R songs have some dirty song titles/abbreviations :lol:)

• GNFNR 1

I always thought that TWAT sounded like a mess. Frank is fucking around too much iirc, Fortus is banging away on vhords rather than sustaining them (which although might be boring for him, fits the song better), and you can't hear the piano at all. Duff is playing the chorus bass riff differently, idk if i like it better or not. Pretty much the ending solo is obscured by the rest of the band fucking around because the chord progression is the same for 3 minutes straight (probably Duff included, but I honestly cant tell).

Oh and Axl sounds like shit and never comes in and stops singing at the tight time right before the chorus. 

If Axls wants to sell the CD songs, he better sell them and blow people away vocally

Edited by Mendez