Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 44, Roxana Shirazi

• downzy pinned this topic
16 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

She never slept with Axl. Is that what you're looking for?

No man. She was interesting and compelling as a person and guest. Her book was on my radar years ago and I very much looked forward to this podcast. I expected more insight into GNR, Dizzy, maybe a cool Axl story, or to elaborate on her connection to GNRs music. More Focus on GNR is what I wanted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

No man. She was interesting and compelling as a person and guest. Her book was on my radar years ago and I very much looked forward to this podcast. I expected more insight into GNR, Dizzy, maybe a cool Axl story, or to elaborate on her connection to GNRs music. More Focus on GNR is what I wanted. 

Ah I see, and that's very fair. To be honest I wasn't sure how far to go with this one because of the "negative" that may come with it. One GNR FB group already started with the "whore"  and groupie remarks, which pissed me off. So in hopes of having her again as a guest, I wanted to focus on who she is. Now that there's trust between her and I, I think next time we get can into a lot more stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Ah I see, and that's very fair. To be honest I wasn't sure how far to go with this one because of the "negative" that may come with it. One GNR FB group already started with the "whore"  and groupie remarks, which pissed me off. So in hopes of having her again as a guest, I wanted to focus on who she is. Now that there's trust between her and I, I think next time we get can into a lot more stuff.

How much mention of Josh Todd and Buckcherry?

22 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

agreed

44 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

FYI Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown are my next guest.

Thats great man, they're one of the few young rock n roll bands around making some noise these days.

They've oppened for GNR a few times and the one i saw was amazing, crowd really got into them. Looking forward.

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

If she's not a groupie (she is) and she doesn't want to talk about the band, then what the hell is she doing on a GnR podcast?  She has literally no relevance outside of those two things. Why would she be valuable as a two time guest? 

If you want those answers listen to that episode. I don’t have the energy to explain to your ignorance. 

Edited by Gambit83

I appreciate you listening, thank you, but  then you know she has a lot more going on. The activism, her new book, it gave a chance to have a different kind of GNR related discussion. You question (valid, not taking it away) could be related to my interview with Christopher Thorn too. Only a couple GNR stories when there’s obv more, but focused on him and Blind Melon.    Same with London Hudson. If I asked him all Slash ques they wouldn’t have done it nor would come on again.

I do appreciate your feedback, just want this kept in mind for future interviews I do. I also encourage questions from you or anyone else for guests. Also working on scheduling Snake Sabo and Roberta Freeman.

• Like 1

I dont think Roxana is a groupie. She just happened to want to get involved with those guys because they were her childhood idols and she got utterly disappointed by what she found them to be for real. Especially Dizzy Reed and what he did to her.

She's not very interesting as a character, sounded very confused to me, still confused and probably frustrated about how she wants to be portrayed.

It seemed to me that she is not happy with the title of the book because that's what keeps putting her in a place where she seems to have moved on.

Not sure if a second interview would be useful......... she sounded hesitant about talking and also resisting to keep talking about that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I dont think Roxana is a groupie. She just happened to want to get involved with those guys because they were her childhood idols and she got utterly disappointed by what she found them to be for real. Especially Dizzy Reed and what he did to her.

She's not very interesting as a character, sounded very confused to me, still confused and probably frustrated about how she wants to be portrayed.

It seemed to me that she is not happy with the title of the book because that's what keeps putting her in a place where she seems to have moved on.

Not sure if a second interview would be useful......... she sounded hesitant about talking and also resisting to keep talking about that.

I'm surprised that whether you like her or not, that you don't find her at least interesting. She does have more stories to tell, so a 2nd interview might be fun down the line but no where near soon. Now that she trusts me I'd want to ask her about being on tour with Velvet and Adler. Could be interesting. All your points are very fair though.

9 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

I'm surprised that whether you like her or not, that you don't find her at least interesting. She does have more stories to tell, so a 2nd interview might be fun down the line but no where near soon. Now that she trusts me I'd want to ask her about being on tour with Velvet and Adler. Could be interesting. All your points are very fair though.

Yeah, I was hoping to find her interesting actually because she's into the same topics I am too..... but then I thought that she didnt say anything that I didn't know about feminism :lol:, although I do agree with all of her statements about men in rock.

Maybe it is because since I live in Latinamerica, all those problems with censorship, being in a black list and her being scared of speaking are not a novelty to me..... I don't know how to explain that I didn't find her fascinating or even interesting in terms of me wanting to read and find out more about her. That's what happens to me when I am impressed about someone.

Ok, if you say there's more about her touring with VR and Adler then maybe she surprises me :lol:

I have tried to listen to all of your podcasts and I love them... I find them sometimes a bit too long or longer than they should be, but that's all.....

Loved the Shannon Hoon stories, my adorable Shannon, how I miss him.... :cry:

Edited by killuridols
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, beautifulanddamned said:

If she's not a groupie (she is) and she doesn't want to talk about the band, then what the hell is she doing on a GnR podcast?  She has literally no relevance outside of those two things. Why would she be valuable as a two time guest? 

I Agee. I don’t know what people are expecting. She’s not a gnr insider. Best she can do is tell you their dick sizes and what they like in bed.

im all for her free love and I applaud her courage but imho a line is crossed when you become a  home-wrecker for lack of a better word

Edited by Top-Hatted One

12 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

im all for her free love and I applaud her courage but imho a line is crossed when you become a  home-wrecker for lack of a better word

How is she a home-wrecker? :question:

And also, it takes two to tango..... so let's dont start with those things....

• Like 1

Man I don’t mind the length of these at all. I can listen for hours even this Roxana one.

My favorites so far are Brain, Dave Kushner, London/Nico, Rod Jackson & Chris Thorn.

cant wait to hear from Snake. Bet he’s got a bunch of great guns/skid row stories to tell. Can’t wait to hear his perspective of guns. What made them great, his opinion on what went wrong etc. 

and Roberta! When i was in LA in 2002 We went to see Rocket Queens all girl gnr tribute at El Rey Theater and they brought her onstage for Don’t Cry. What a trip!

• GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

How is she a home-wrecker? :question:

And also, it takes two to tango..... so let's dont start with those things....

Yea that is certainly true.

I wonder if her 2nd book will include stories about Slash now that he’s divorced from Perla. She kept alluding not being able to talk about certain members. By process of Elimination I figured it to be Slash. No way it was Duff. Maybe Scott too

• Like 1