Debate on Social Agendas/Commentaries in Movies

Dazey

43 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nah. Load of fucking shite innit. 

:lol:  Yes, well, thats one interpretation! 

Yes, to an extent. But if you're going to be pretentious at least back it up and be genuine.

Yeah well I suppose accusations of charlatanism aren't necessarily unfounded.  I do think though that, like religion, these things require a leap of faith and once you've taken that leap, regardless of whether the article in question is genuine, if you can still get something from it then something positive has occured.

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Leonard 'The Optimist' Ackbar :lol:

Art is everything to me, its my governing passion, the arts, music, literature, life would be dead and boring and unbearable without it, I have to invest myself in it somewhat, I don't give a fuck really for science or history (though the latter can be interesting, most of my exposure to it has come through an interest in art), everybody has a thing and thats mine, films, music, theatre, literature.  That and The Arsenal.

31 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Art is everything to me, its my governing passion, the arts, music, literature, life would be dead and boring and unbearable without it, I have to invest myself in it somewhat, I don't give a fuck really for science or history (though the latter can be interesting, most of my exposure to it has come through an interest in art), everybody has a thing and thats mine, films, music, theatre, literature.  That and The Arsenal.

Meh! I’ll take this over the rest of it any day. 

52 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do you like Blade Runner? I'm really enjoying the show I'm currently watching Altered Carbon and I think you'll like it.

No...in fact i hate Blade Runner.  I don't get on with Sci Fi unfortunately, barring a few Arnie ones when i was a lad I can't stand the genre.  Was meant to watch it once in Film Class but I couldn't hack, literally fell asleep, though I had smoked a spliff at the time so perhaps that had something to do with it. 

23 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Meh! I’ll take this over the rest of it any day. 

What, like rocket ships and that?  See the problem there is you've got to have brains to be into that so that lets me out early doors :lol:  I marvel over the complexities of things a lot less complex than that, I ain't in that fuckin' league man :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Watch it properly and then watch Altered Carbon. I command you.

Seriously, what do you mean by you don't like scifi?

Just that, I just don't like it, it ain't my thing, never have.  That and fantasy stuff.  I like people interacting with people, humanity and that y'know...not fuckin' replicants and robots and hobbits and all that.  I even don't much get on with sword and sorcery type stuff, which I suppose comes under fantasy.  I like to think I'm pretty open minded with the shit I'll watch, I love most any other kind of films...I just can't fuckin' hack Sci Fi.  All that spacey shit too, Star Wars, Star Trek, it just doesn't speak to me in any way shape or form, I find it really uninteresting. 

Perhaps I should give Blade Runner another go.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Generic elves and goblins etc just for the sake of being their genre and having elves and goblins is boring. But being so dismissive is very strange to me. When I look at something like Blade Runner I see humanity and the scifi elements are just the costume/vessel.

Let me know what you think if you do watch it. Just make sure it's Blade Runner The Final Cut

I liked 2001...but thats Kubrick, the way he photographs things is just amazing.  I suppose there are exceptions, Running Man, Total Recall :lol:  But thats more to do with being a kid and Arnie blowing shit up.  Or Robocop, Predator etc.  But...I dunno, I just find it disengaging.  It might even have something to do with the old childhood stigma of that shit being all fuckin' nerdy so you just never get into it, who knows.

Edited by Len Cnut

• 2 weeks later...

I want to say that I have no dog in the fight as far as social agendas go, but I really felt stupid for paying to see Black Panther.

I just didn't like it. I thought it was boring.

Maybe there was a touch of me that felt I couldn't relate to the "blackness" of it; the tribal dancing and chanting...but by and large I was looking at it through the objective of an engaging action popcorn movie. My mind wandered a great deal during it and I probably could have got my taxes done.

What bothered me so much when I walked out wasn't the fact that I didn't enjoy it...it was the fact that the film was praised so highly you would think it was a perfect picture. It's a weird feeling being on the other side of universal acclaim. But, I'm not someone who enjoys William Shakespeare and I don't like the music of The Beatles, so it's not the first time that feeling of "otherness" has come over me.

I really do believe there are people out there who are afraid to criticize this movie or rate it less than bulletproof, lest they be deemed ignorant, racist, dense or tasteless. It's an unfortunate circumstance when people are afraid to criticize a piece of art because to do so would be politically incorrect. 

I would encourage you not to trust me, but trust your own taste.

If you like it, fantastic. If you don't, don't hide behind the mass consensus. 

I just have a suspicion that there has to be more than five percent of audience members who did not feel it was "the best Marvel has to offer." If you look at the journalists and critics though, those who are paid professionals and who would stand alone in an industry that would swallow them, I doubt they have the veracity to challenge their peers. 

The ‘blackness’ of Black Panther was the only pleasure for me (besides the performances of Leticia Wright, Danai Gurira and Andy Serkis). The main problem was, as I find it to be with most of these movies, the pacing. And that there’s too fucking many of them and they mostly blow. 

I dunno, all seems a bit contrived for me.  But I guess its for kids so...y'know, superheroes and that, whatever.  Anyway, I have a theory, the rest of the world needs superheroes cuz they ain't got none, black people got real life super heroes like Muhammad Ali and Tupac.  Jimi Hendrix.  Bob Marley  Who the fuck have white people got? :lol:  Or Asians for that matter?  Bruce Lee...and thats a narrower aspect of just Asia.  They need to make a fuckin' brown superhero now, Curry Man or some shit :lol:  By day he's a fuckin' little short guy with fuckin' bottletop glasses that runs a cornershop in Dagenham...but then when fuckin' trouble comes callin' and the fuckin' crescent moon and star signal comes up he fuckin' turns into Curry Man!! :lol:  I'm fuckin' trademarking that! 

Y'know what'd be good?  A white racist superhero :lol:  Far Right Man :lol:  Or a Jewish one, that'd be sick!  Hymie Man!  And he's goes around fuckin' EVERYBODY up...cuz lets face it, no ones been safe to Jews, everybody gets it, Germans, Americans, English, Muslims, just leave like, the Far East, they never done nothing to Jews did they?  How about a gypsy one?  Tinker Man!  By day he goes around thieving lead and fuckin' up peoples driveways :lol:

I'll stop now :unsure:

Edited by Len Cnut

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen people saying Black Panther should be nominated for best picture next year.

It's Get Out all over again. Black Panther was a fine better than average marvel film, that still has a predictable CGI over the top mess for a final 3rd. It's not the best film of all time. Get Out for it's political relevance at the start of the movie, is still just a solid b-movie horror film that remakes the Stepford Wives with a silly final act. It's insane to have that film compared to something likes of The Shape of Water or a Dunkirk.

I seen some people trying to suggest Shape of Water winning was regressive and that Daniel Kaluuya gave a better performance than Gary Oldman, therefore racism.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:56 AM, Oldest Goat said:

You guys should watch the Netflix series 'Altered Carbon' 

@Len Cnut

I seen Altered Carbon recently. Liked it at first, but I think it fell apart slightly when it randomly becomes a super hero show half way through. It was more interesting in the earlier episodes as a futuristic mystery. Will still look forward to a season 2.

Blade Runner 2049 although it wasn't the best film I seen last year, deserved a nomination. Fantastic film that felt different to the competition and wasn't stream lined for anyone with a short attention span. Yes, it wasn't the most succesful film... it was critically acclaimed though and better than certain other films nominated.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently saw Star Wars TLJ for the first time.  How the fuck anyone had an issue with apparent "agendas" is beyond me.  Theres plenty of things to complain about, but social agendas isnt one.  It just isnt.

Also: Star Wars has always been deeply political and promotes an anti-imperial, anti-fascist, pro-worker world view.  One thing that made the prequels weak was the in depth nature of the trade talks plot ffs.  

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, soon said:

I recently saw Star Wars TLJ for the first time.  How the fuck anyone had an issue with apparent "agendas" is beyond me.  Theres plenty of things to complain about, but social agendas isnt one.  It just isnt.

Also: Star Wars has always been deeply political and promotes an anti-imperial, anti-fascist, pro-worker world view.  One thing that made the sequels weak was the in depth nature of the trade talks plot ffs.  

The problem with TLJ is that it’s a load of shit. :lol: 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On March 31, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Dazey said:

The problem with TLJ is that it’s a load of shit. :lol: 

When you replied to me with this I wasnt ready to accept it yet, having missed it in theatre and waited months excitedly to finally see it.  Im a 'more Star Wars is more Star Wars' type, but Im ready to say:  Its a pretty ridiculous film.  Im still gonna watch it again later today with the commentary from Rebel Force Radio, but shit...

Anyways, please excuse my late response.  I've been processing :lol:

The social agemdas are only PART of the problem with TLJ. I can accept the "agendas" if it wasn't dog crap. But the film just plain is, worst than ANY of the prequels imo. Even Mark Hamill himself is starting to "talk" about it again, now that his press duties are done for it. He said just the other day he is not happy with how Luke was handled. He also said he doesn't really want to do another one. I'm sure he is under contract though. 

Disney, Kathleen Kennedy, and Ruin Johnson killed Star Wars, period.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the Last Jedi, thought it was enetertaining, decent story line...and the female Jedi was good too....I mean, how many times can you make a Star Wars movie with the same type of hero?  The female lead was a nice break from the norm, imo.

On the other hand, the Ghostbusters remake was just "ok".  The original Ghostbusters was an adventure movie, a classic with some comedy mixed in.  The remake ended up being a slapstick comedy movie, with little to no adventure and definitely not a classic.  I'm not sure it really had anything to do with the all-female lead roles or not....it just didn't hold a candle to the original, imo.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

I think the biggest agenda in TLJ was that the Finn and Rose adventure seems to have mainly served as a vehicle to introduce us to Broom Boy / Stable Boy?*  20 Bucks says Broom Boy features in Rian Johnsons trilogy.

*Also to set foundation for romantic complexities with Finn/Rey, Finn/Rose and Rey/Poe.  But Johnson didnt need an otherwise pointless adventure to do that.

I never had a problem with Rey being the main hero and Jedi, as a father with a daughter, I thought it was a great way to get her into Star Wars. Which it worked with TFA. I could even forgive the fact that Rey is a Mary Sue, IF they had treated Luke correctly. That's the whole thing for me, they trashed the greatest hero in movie history imo. 

Would Disney do a film where Mickey Mouse kicks Pluto, smacks Minnie, pulls a gun on goofy? No because they respect that character. Which they clearly didn't respect Luke Skywalker...

• 2 weeks later...