Papa Roach Hated Opening for GNR (2006)

38 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

My opinion of them as musicians aligns with Axl's nickname for them, so I felt it was in line with the conversation. They are not the Eagles of the death metal genre. Axl's insult was hilarious and also clever. Unprofessional? Yeah, perhaps. But if the arrogance the EODM exhibited afterward is an example of the way they behaved backstage, insulting Sebastian Bach, insulting the fans who didn't enjoy them, and insulting the '80s rock genre as a whole, then they had it coming.

I don't know the entire story. Has Axl ever commented on it? I just know EODM's side of the story and the singer sounds like a troll. If he displayed the same pompous hipster attitude backstage, I'm not surprised he and his awful band were given the boot after only one show. But again, they've made a living off of it now. The only times that terrible act has gotten any publicity is after Axl insulted them and after people died in a terrorist attack at their show.

I'm not the biggest fan of them but I really like Josh Homme's work. They have a few tunes I like and plenty of fans that have nothing to do with GNR. I know they are one of my bassist's favorite bands. Its cool if you dont like them, though, doesnt have much to do with this. I have zero interest in Papa Roach but I understand why they were frusturated with late starts. Personally, Id be over the noon to open for Axl because I'm a huge fan but if other people were upset with his unprofessional behavior I cant fault them. 

Maybe I am mistaken with the EoDM incident, but didnt the crowd boo them so Axl made a big deal about it and attempted to humilate them in stage? Wasnt Tommy mad about it? Totally unprofessional and an awful way to treat your own supporting guest. As much as I like Axl, that is totally appalling. As I said, maybe my version of the story is incorrect?

Edited by ZoSoRose

On 1/31/2018 at 5:14 PM, DTV88 said:

Sorry, did you just say that Rage was a copycat lame band?

Yes. Excactly. They copied off of the real deal bands like Downset and Biohazard. Rage is a watered down version of the true bands that actually lived what they said.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:11 AM, -Jaro- said:

You put Rage in same level as Limp bisquit, papa roach and similar shit?

Because they are all mainstream bands that copied off of real deal bands like Downset and Biohazard who actually grew that movement, Rage was just the poster child of that movement for the mainstream that never cared or looked any deeper then the radio.

Edited by Order of Nine
The truth

54 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I'm not the biggest fan of them but I really like Josh Homme's work. They have a few tunes I like and plenty of fans that have nothing to do with GNR. I know they are one of my bassist's favorite bands. Its cool if you dont like them, though, doesnt have much to do with this. I have zero interest in Papa Roach but I understand why they were frusturated with late starts. Personally, Id be over the noon to open for Axl because I'm a huge fan but if other people were upset with his unprofessional behavior I cant fault them. 

Maybe I am mistaken with the EoDM incident, but didnt the crowd boo them so Axl made a big deal about it and attempted to humilate them in stage? Wasnt Tommy mad about it? Totally unprofessional and an awful way to treat your own supporting guest. As much as I like Axl, that is totally appalling. As I said, maybe my version of the story is incorrect?

That's essentially how I remember the story. But Tommy getting mad and throwing his bass down in disgust was a rumor that hasn't been confirmed - Tommy himself has said that never happened. Either way, a total dick move on Axl's part. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 6:14 PM, patmac54 said:

I was at the MSG show they referenced in the video...I believe they followed Bach and his lineup at the time.  Show was great, PapaRoach was great, Sebastian was great too.

too bad there’s a little bad blood...but come on.  You have to at least know/understand that if you’re opening for Axl/GnR, you at least have to be flexible with your schedule.

obviously, the band has been quite punctual these days!

Nope, it's a hard job being a touring a band as it is, for your contract to be flexible is bullshit, even for a famously tardy frontman. If gnr management wanted that flexibility they should have offered a percentage per every hour over the time the support was contracted to play. Just saying "not yet, can you go on in a hour" is bullshit! I 100% agree with what Papa Roach have to say, even though I don't enjoy their music, and LOVE gnr.

You shouldn't have to 'put up with it" you should just play your contracted time and then leave or do as you please, you should NOT be there as a diversion for the opening act not being ready to perform.

Axls not going on time is completely inexcusable, I saw him in 2006 and he rolled up 10 mins before he was due, I saw him in 2010 and '12 and he showed up a hour and a half late, no apologies or explanation, I saw him twice in 2016 on time both times... Early actually. He just comes on when he pleases and the audience is not a concern to him. 

I'm not complaining about the times he showed up on time or early, but the 20yrs of late starts are not to be forgotten over 2 solid years of good behaviour. I hope he keeps coming on time though, as it's done wonders for his reputation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Yes. Excactly. They copied off of the real deal bands like Downset and Biohazard. Rage is a watered down version of the true bands that actually lived what they said.

Because they are all mainstream bands that copied off of real deal bands like Downset and Biohazard who actually grew that movement, Rage was just the poster child of that movement for the mainstream that never cared or looked any deeper then the radio.

It's not that I disagree with your overall premise, I just don't agree that Rage is a watered down version of anything, nor would I ever put them in the same category as a 1 or 2 hit wonder like Papa Roach or pop crap like Limp Bizkit. Zack's lyrics, along with the amazing music, opened a lot of (US) white dudes' minds to ideas other than what we were taught in school. Were they the first? No. But they were arguably amongst the most talented.

11 hours ago, DTV88 said:

It's not that I disagree with your overall premise, I just don't agree that Rage is a watered down version of anything, nor would I ever put them in the same category as a 1 or 2 hit wonder like Papa Roach or pop crap like Limp Bizkit. Zack's lyrics, along with the amazing music, opened a lot of (US) white dudes' minds to ideas other than what we were taught in school. Were they the first? No. But they were arguably amongst the most talented.

Probably because you don't know most of the originals, like Downset, and Biohazard, Sick of it All, the bands that grew that movement. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.metalsucks.net/2010/10/11/album-of-the-day-downset-edition/amp/

Edited by Order of Nine

The people shitting on Papa Roach probably know three songs from their nu-metal days. In all fairness, I haven't checked them out anymore since their second album, but those first two albums had some pretty decent songs on them with killer riffs, and I really don't like nu-metal.

15 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Probably because you don't know most of the originals, like Downset, and Biohazard, Sick of it All, the bands that grew that movement. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.metalsucks.net/2010/10/11/album-of-the-day-downset-edition/amp/

This still doesn't convince me that Rage is a watered down version of anything...

3 hours ago, DTV88 said:

This still doesn't convince me that Rage is a watered down version of anything...

Stylistically I don't even hear a whole lot of similarities.

Rage was a band that was overblown in the sincerity of their message, but the actual music was brilliant because of its simplicity. Tom Morello rules because he plays single-note, Zeppelin style riffs and his sense of melody is the foundation of the band. Nobody is playing busy, they are all in harmony with each other.

6 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Rage was not the real deal. There were many other bands long before Rage that we're actually legit. Biohazard, Social Justice, Downset, Madball, ect that not only were pioneer's of that sound but who actually lived what the lyrics were about, unlike Rage. Rage, a bunch of spoiled suburban kids posing as if they lived that life, they have no idea what true anger is about. They were a mediocre act that rode the underground wave to the mainstream. Good for them, anyone that has mainstream attention needs a certain level of respect, however, they are just parrots, watered down copies of the real thing.

Now if you compare Rage to the other mainstream acts in that loop then I would agree that they are a step above them. But that is basically lowering the standard.

Rage = Mall hardcore

Just like Green day = Mall punk

Stay out of the shopping malls.

Edited by Order of Nine

11 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Rage was not the real deal. There were many other bands long before Rage that we're actually legit. Biohazard, Social Justice, Downset, Madball, ect that not only were pioneer's of that sound but who actually lived what the lyrics were about, unlike Rage. Rage, a bunch of spoiled suburban kids posing as if they lived that life, they have no idea what true anger is about. They were a mediocre act that rode the underground wave to the mainstream. Good for them, anyone that has mainstream attention needs a certain level of respect, however, they are just parrots, watered down copies of the real thing.

Now if you compare Rage to the other mainstream acts in that loop then I would agree that they are a step above them. But that is basically lowering the standard.

Rage = Mall hardcore

Just like Green day = Mall punk

Stay out of the shopping malls.

I couldn't care less about those true hardcore pioneer shit bands you just mentioned. Other than a couple of songs by Madball, I've never found any appeal what so ever in any of them. Especially not Biohazard, that's a super crappy band "real" or not. If you like it, good for you, but for the rest of us, it doesn't really matter if they grew up in the suburbs or wherever. It's fucking music. It's either enjoyable and entertaining to listen to, or it's not. 

Rage made awesome music and shouldn't be slumped into the same group of bands as Bizkit and Papa Roach. Crazy the way this thread turned out

1 minute ago, CheapJon said:

I couldn't care less about those true hardcore pioneer shit bands you just mentioned. Other than a couple of songs by Madball, I've never found any appeal what so ever in any of them. Especially not Biohazard, that's a super crappy band "real" or not. If you like it, good for you, but for the rest of us, it doesn't really matter if they grew up in the suburbs or wherever. It's fucking music. It's either enjoyable and entertaining to listen to, or it's not. 

Rage made awesome music and shouldn't be slumped into the same group of bands as Bizkit and Papa Roach. Crazy the way this thread turned out

Rage is a bunch of posers and "the hardcore pioneer" shit bands know it. 

If your lyrics are about drive bys and guns and your a suburban kid that's never lived that life then your a poser. 

"It's music" yeah, and for some people it intertwines into a way of life, that's true art. Not some processed bs that's been dumbed down so people can digest it.

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

Rage is a bunch of posers and "the hardcore pioneer" shit bands know it. 

If your lyrics are about drive bys and guns and your a suburban kid that's never lived that life then your a poser. 

"It's music" yeah, and for some people it intertwines into a way of life, that's true art. Not some processed bs that's been dumbed down so people can digest it.

Yes, sure. But I'm glad they were such great "posers" that they reached millions with what they had to say instead of making their art so appaling that only a couple hundred thousand could take it in. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

In any way, I'd vote for us not derailing this thread any longer.

On topic: As others have said, Papa Roach is not my thing, but I can totally see where this comes from. I wouldn't want to work under those circumstances either. 

17 minutes ago, CheapJon said:

Yes, sure. But I'm glad they were such great "posers" that they reached millions with what they had to say instead of making their art so appaling that only a couple hundred thousand could take it in. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

In any way, I'd vote for us not derailing this thread any longer.

On topic: As others have said, Papa Roach is not my thing, but I can totally see where this comes from. I wouldn't want to work under those circumstances either. 

Ummm. 

Yeah that's exactly what a poser is, acting a part then cashing in on it.

Just like all the copycats bands after rage did, POD, Bizkit, PR. Same deal happened with hair metal in the 80s, a bunch of clone bands that we're all manufactured by the industry.

And that's what made guns real, lived the lyrics. They were a bunch of strung out junkies, living off the streets. They were a complete rare breed to break thru into the mainstream. Most mainstream acts are contrived, bs versions of the real things.

Edited by Order of Nine

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

So people should only write about what they have lived/experienced?? That's bollocks!!

In the blues world, hardcore world, punk world, if you fake lyrics that you haven't lived then yes your a sellout and a joke.

In those genres being real is crucial, unlike all the mainstream rock and whatever else is being played, people don't care cause well, it's pop.

4 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Ummm. 

Yeah that's exactly what a poser is, acting a part then cashing in on it.

Just like all the copycats bands after rage did, POD, Bizkit, PR. Same deal happened with hair metal in the 80s, a bunch of clone bands that we're all manufactured by the industry.

Ummmm.

Yeah, and that's relevant to the topic in hand in what way?

• Haha 1