Your view, right now

SoulMonster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

20191110.jpg

Is that yellow your own personal carbon footprint following you along?

PS

I flew the other day and some guy behind me got caught putting his hands up the hostess's skirt (no it wasn't me before you ask).

Edited by DieselDaisy

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is that yellow your own personal carbon footprint following you along?

PS

I flew the other day and some guy behind me got caught putting his hands up the hostess's skirt (no it wasn't me before you ask).

Ugh, probably some trashy Brits going to Prague for a stag do because the beer is cheap. Am I right?

I hope you're not one of them and enjoy the beautiful city instead.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Ugh, probably some trashy Brits going to Prague for a stag do because the beer is cheap. Am I right?

I hope you're not one of them and enjoy the beautiful city instead.

I wouldn't say so considering I saw all of Hradčany (e.g., St Vitus, Old Royal Palace, St George's, Golden Lane, etc etc), all the Jewish stuff (synagogues and Old Cemetery), about a million other churches including the church where the assassins of Reinhard Heydrich were cornered in 1942. Did drink lots of beer and ate all traditional food in Czech places. I think the dopey Brits go to the nightclubs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lio said:

This is one of several reasons why I dislike Amsterdam. You almost can't escape the obnoxious, loud-mouthed British kids who go there just to get wasted (like they can't get wasted at home, I never understood that) and wear t-shirts in the middle of winter and don't even bother going to the Rijksmuseum, van Gogh museum, Rembrandthuis, or check out Anne Frank Huis.

Edited by EvanG

They are hardly going to want to look at Van Goghs and Rembrandts when they're ''on the piss'' are they? 

PS

I love architecture, art and history more than anyone I know but when I was ''on the piss'' I was ''on the piss'' and none of that stuff interested me. I use the past tense as I'm now more a ''few quite beers in a pub'' man these days.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Especially van Gogh's paintings work rather well when you're under the influence, I would say. But my point is, if you just want to get wasted, stay home, it's a lot cheaper. You don't need to buy a plane or train ticket and other expenses to get drunk or stoned when you can do that shit at home just as easily.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Especially van Gogh's paintings work rather well when you're under the influence, I would say. But my point is, if you just want to get wasted, stay home, it's a lot cheaper. You don't need to buy a plane or train ticket and other expenses to get drunk or stoned when you can do that shit at home just as easily.

I think the idea, although I do not know as I never cared for the place nor especially drugs, with Amsterdam for Brits is the access to weed; you also have the red-light areas for the males. With Prague it is the price of beer, circa 39 Koruna which is about £1.30 per pint (in London you are certainly in the £5-6.50 per pint bracket!). A lot of the stags/hens going to Prague don't even bother with a hotel; they get hammered at the airport, arrive at Prague, ''go clubbing'' then get the plane back; probably cheaper than going for a night out in England because of the differential between aforementioned drink prices. 

Brits are not the only ones. I seem to recall, although it has been years since I have been on this type of holiday, a lot of German males in large numbers doing exactly the same thing as the Brits in the Spanish Costas. Also the Americans have a penchant for this, especially when going to Mexico. 

What kids do here, and the same probably goes for British kids, and this is almost tradition, is to go to Spain just to get laid and get hammered. They only go there for the nightlife and end up sleeping all day, or maybe lie on the beach for a couple of hours, and then get ready to go clubbing again all night. Then when they are back home and people ask them how it was, they hardly remember anything and haven't seen much of the country except the inside of clubs and the hotel.

Who am I to judge others, but I think it's a shame. I can go clubbing here if I want to, I don't need to go to another country. When I go abroad, I want to explore the country/city, see new things, that's why I go there in the first place. I don't mind going for a pub crawl when I'm travelling with others and I do enjoy seeing the nightlife in a foreign city and having a beer or two or fifteen, but that's not my main reason to go there, and it's usually at the end of my trip when I've seen everything I wanted. I don't mind being hungover on the plane or train.

But this is usually what kids do, and when I say kids I mean teens or people in their early 20's, who can blame them really, I'm not part of that group anymore anyway.

Edited by EvanG

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

What kids do here, and the same probably goes for British kids, and this is almost tradition, is to go to Spain just to get laid and get hammered. They only go there for the nightlife and end up sleeping all day, or maybe lie on the beach for a couple of hours, and then get ready to go clubbing again all night. Then when they are back home and people ask them how it was, they hardly remember anything and haven't seen much of the country except the inside of clubs and the hotel.

Who am I to judge others, but I think it's a shame. I can go clubbing here if I want to, I don't need to go to another country. If I go abroad, I want to explore the country/city, see new things, that's why I go there in the first place. I don't mind going for a pub crawl when I'm travelling with others and I do enjoy seeing the nightlife in a foreign city and have a beer or two or fifteen, but that's not my main reason to go there, and it's usually at the end of my trip when I've seen everything I wanted. I don't mind being hungover on the plane or train.

But this is usually what kids do, and when I say kids I mean teens or people in their early 20's, who can blame them really, I'm not part of that group anymore anyway.

You're preaching to the choir. I don't understand it myself, although I did (sort of) do one holiday like that when I went to Barcelona, although I ended up drinking beer on the beach all day as opposed to the night clubbing thing which never appealed to me, mostly because I loath that sort of music and am far too ''English'' to attempt to dance.

In the present, I try to drink like the locals which here entailed traditional Bohemian cellar type places which I had specifically marked down from reviews on this Prague app I had downloaded beforehand. So I had all of these authentic places ascertained. Place your beermat down and ''pivo, prosím'' and a glass of nectar arrives which is replenished whenever drank, paying at the end. I suspect the Brits hit Irish bars which has an experience similar to their own, before the nightclubs of course which is what they're ultimately there for - although in fairness I only saw one ''hen'' like group and they were on the plane, it being a working week.

I think learning some of the lingo, even just a few basic phrases (''hello, goodbye, thanks, excuse me'', etc) helps greatly, although the older Czechs speak German as a second language and the younger English (to varying degrees) so you don't necessarily need to do any of this, however it usually was appreciated remarkably well. Czech, with the greatest respect, is more a minority language than your biggies (German, English, French and Spanish) so I can see why. Even Kafka, Prague's greatest son, wrote in German.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're preaching to the choir. I don't understand it myself, although I did (sort of) do one holiday like that when I went to Barcelona, although I ended up drinking beer on the beach all day as opposed to the night clubbing thing which never appealed to me, mostly because I loath that sort of music and am far too ''English'' to attempt to dance.

In the present, I try to drink like the locals which here entailed traditional Bohemian cellar type places which I had specifically marked down from reviews on this Prague app I had downloaded beforehand. So I had all of these authentic places ascertained. Place your beermat down and ''pivo, prosím'' and a glass of nectar arrives which is replenished whenever drank, paying at the end. I suspect the Brits hit Irish bars which has an experience similar to their own, before the nightclubs of course which is what they're ultimately there for - although in fairness I only saw one ''hen'' like group and they were on the plane, it being a working week.

I travel mostly alone, especially when I'm doing city trips, so I usually end up not drinking at all. I was in Prague a year ago and on my last night I wanted to go to a pub near the apartment but I couldn't find any charming pubs in that area, I never feel comfortable sitting alone in a pub anyway, so I bailed and went back to the apartment.

Funny Prague story, when I walked up the hill to Prague castle I saw this old street musician playing violin and I had a déjà vu. I had been to Prague once before but that was 11 years ago. When I got home I checked my Prague pictures from 2007 and lo and behold, my then-girlfriend had taken a picture of the guy playing violin at the exact same spot. He had barely aged!