Similarities between Axl and Michael Jackson

4 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

It really is. I love every track on it.

Maybe I should add that the only artist I love more than GNR is MJ.

Been a fan since 2007, and not just a "fan". I know everything about that dude, every song 😂

Yep. Michael is my #1 too. Since 1988. And I got to see him 25 times in concert. And several other times.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2006 Axl was peak rockstar. No one can hit that shit again, even Axl himself.

Listen to that fucking scream, and the look, just too cool for school. I reckon rock has been dead and buried since 1987, because Axl Rose and Guns N Roses killed it. There was nowhere to go after them, and in 2006 Axl still had that mythical style (that isn't to say things are inferior nowadays, I realze that comment seemed a bit wistful and pathetic, it's an awe-inspiring thing that people like MJ and Axl even got to show off there superhuman ability in the first place).

Edited by GonzoThesaurus
  • Like 3

On 2/8/2018 at 4:21 AM, RussTCB said:

I'm gonna nitpick here and point out that MJ at least released both HIStory and Invincible past '91. Invincible is far from perfect but it does have some great material on it. As far as HIStory goes yes, the first disc is just a GH compilation, but the second disc is a new album. The second disc of HIStory happens to be my favorite MJ album.

I remember buying HIStory when it came out and just tossing it aside after listening to the radio hits You are not Alone and Scream. :facepalm::lol:

Yeah, both History and Invincible have some good cuts. Speechless is a great ballad and Whatever Happens is a banger on Invincible. I guess my point was that those albums were spending longer and longer in the studio where he was fussing over the tracks, second guessing himself, and going through tons of producers like Axl. A lot of great Teddy Riley material was apparently cut from HIStory. One of the best songs from that era, Blood on the Dancefloor, is actually a Dangerous album reject. 

We'll probably part ways here but I always felt like post-Dangerous, his artistry took a major hit due to the 93 allegations - they totally derailed him (like Tiger Woods post-divorce). He was never the same after that. His output sort of reflects that decline where the material shifts from darker introspective adult themes (Dangerous) into embattled self-absorbed icon mode (History/Invincible). HIStory has a lot of angry songs and rants about the media, his privacy issues, etc. For every Stranger in Moscow or Smile, there's a D.S. and Tabloid junkie - lots of (good-ish) filler type material. Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous were just stacked with hit after hit (imho). HIStory seems like a much more personal album for MJ (like Dangerous) but far less commercial. I always looked at Dangerous as MJ's Sign O' The Times

Which brings up another similarity between Axl and MJ. Whatever happened to them between 93-94 completely altered the path they were on musically w/ Dangerous and Illusions (some of their most intriguing material).

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 7:38 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I still have never gotten around to listening Invincible

Check out Speechless and Whatever Happens - then keep moving along. 

It's MJ's Chinese Democracy imho. Uneven with a few spots of greatness.

Both of them felt like I was listening to out-of-touch icons struggling to redefine themselves for a new era. There's a tentativeness to those albums that is palpable unfortunately. I thought Axl's album was less disappointing though.

Edited by RONIN

9 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Been called that many times. It ain't easy being a Michael Jackson fan 😂

I've always wondered how awesome would it be if they covered Give In To Me? With Axl on vocals in full rasp mode I think that would sound awesome and it would fit. Maybe around June 25th/August 29th.

I think I remember Axl saying that MJ was one of his favorite singers in a recent interview (recent being the last 8 years lol)

It was that list (2014) where Axl mentioned MJ as one of the singers he'd listen to than himself. Wonder what he thought about Michael. Michael loved GN'R tho. Michael was very intrigued by the whole Sunset Boulevard metal scene. He'd ask Steve Stevens who played on Dirty Diana about Motley Crüe. 

Yeah Give In To Me is badass. Slash, Gilby were in the video. Wonder if Axl liked it or not. 😛

Edited by Srushti7

10 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

MJ is beyond legend status and Axl is not in the same league 

I find it a complete travesty of the world we live in that he was wacked along with Tupac for basically being black and mega famous 

While I do agree with you, Axl was THE ultimate rock god. He was unique. There's many talented folks out there but few touch upon the God-like stature. And you get surprised if any of those gods make it past a certain age. It's as if they're not meant to be living long. MJ (there was every chance he would've been alive if it wasn't for his homicide), Hendrix, Biggie, Tupac, Marvin Gaye, etc. None made it. 

It's surprising Axl has made it alive with his mental state. Gotta give him respect for that. 

8 hours ago, RONIN said:

Both of them felt like I was listening to out-of-touch icons struggling to redefine themselves for a new era. There's a tentativeness to those albums that is palpable unfortunately. I thought Axl's album was less disappointing though.

I'm an MJ fan but Speechless, The Lost Children, Cry suck major ass. 

Whatever Happens is a gem. And rest of Invincible too. Break of Dawn is another great track.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Srushti7 said:

I'm an MJ fan but Speechless, The Lost Children, Cry suck major ass. 

Whatever Happens is a gem. And rest of Invincible too. Break of Dawn is another great track.  

I love Speechless and The Lost Children, but I agree about Cry.

Invincible was a lot better than it was given credit for.

13 hours ago, GonzoThesaurus said:

2006 Axl was peak rockstar. No one can hit that shit again, even Axl himself.

Listen to that fucking scream, and the look, just too cool for school.

Incredible. That was definitely the peak time CD should have been ready and out. Still find it baffling how, after so long, the release of that fucking thing was so botched.

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

I agree overall about Invincible but it's grown on me more as of late. Speechless has always been a favorite though. 

• Like 1

I'm a big MJ fan and I can see how someone could say there a similarities, and they've mostly already been covered in this thread. I'd like to say though that they both had people they collaborated with in order to realise their vision. Arguably MJ was more creative in this sense as he almost always had the whole song in his head and just needed someone to play it for him. Still, it was a collaboration nonetheless. Everyone contributing what they have is what makes a final product, and MJ and Axl definitely both thrive(d)  in an environment with other creative people. 

• Like 1