Matt Sorum To Write a Book - Comes Out Next Year

It stood out to me that he wasnt willing to share any stories from the book.  In my experience people always share a few bits to entice people to buy it.  Maybe he's really gonna give the goods and doesnt want Axls lawyers preventing its release?  I'll be looking for all the missing info about 93-97.

I'm sure he has seen some crazy stuff in his career, so while he isn't the most interesting famous musician i'm aware of it'll certainly be interesting. 

No matter how he tells the history he's going to piss someone off in the GNR camp, so he may as well accept that he will not be playing with them and just go for it, if he's going releasing a book!

• Like 1

Hopefully this will be a good read. Matt is no wallflower when it comes to his opinions but there is a question mark over whether his GNR bridges have been totally burned or not.

If he still thinks there's a chance he might work with any of the guys again in any capacity then he's probably going to be cautious. A few years back they were all in the same against Axl camp, now he will be a lone voice if he decides to stir shit up.

• Like 2

Three things I'd like Matt to explain in his book:

How he filled his time when the regular band members started flaking away from GN'R. Daytime TV? Antiques? 

A description of the incident he must have had with a dolphin to inspire his constant tweeting fundraising for the species.

The perm. Why have it? Why no longer? 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Three things I'd like Matt to explain in his book:

How he filled his time when the regular band members started flaking away from GN'R. Daytime TV? Antiques? 

A description of the incident he must have had with a dolphin to inspire his constant tweeting fundraising for the species.

The perm. Why have it? Why no longer? 

If he answers the perm question, I will donate $10,000 to the animal charity of his choice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Keep in mind he was playing the Sunset Strip in his teens and Van Halen were still playing clubs - plus his gigs with Tori Amos (mostly a studio band, they did 2 shows), The Cult, Neuorotic Outsiders, Camp Freddy, Kings of Chaos, etc. 

The GNR stuff is 3 years out of a 40 year career. He's talked about Duff and Slash asking him questions about what went on during the UYI tour because they were out of it, so even if he did abuse drugs, he still had to go out night after night and keep Duff in check as the rhythm section. 

I think the road leading up to GNR and the aftermath is going to be better than the GNR road stories.... he probably beat Gene Simmons "conquests" in 3 years. Whatever. I'm sure Howard Stern will ask him... 

Drummers tend to be the most outspoken and reveal the most in their memoirs. 

He was in the Cult during their absolute peak then GNR in their peak as well - this will be a great read 

i look forward to reading about his classical take on the writing he did for songs like estranged, nr, you could be mine, locomotive and DTJM 

his work on those babies is stupendous - on some other songs a bit too robotic but think since Frank the butcher has been on board i've come to appreciate sorum like 200 times more now 

he's one drummer you can tell 100% that he is academic and proficient on music re: bars versus riffs - i would be interested in hearing what he has to say about percussion in general and his learnings, by the end of use your illusion touring 93-95 the guy took drumming to a whole other level 

plus his interviews are always really candid and entertaining 

duff and slash for the most part are quite boring in majority of interviews, duff comes off super repetitive and slash is way too shy he doesn't say much really, whereas sorum's stories always shed light on something new and he makes it really funny when he makes fun of axl - fucking hilarious when he tells how he got fired such a joke 

dont know why axl doesn't dig him he's nothing but praise to him here 7:10 mark 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr