Matt Sorum To Write a Book - Comes Out Next Year

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

what guy? and when?

This must have been back in 2006 just before we got the leaks on here. The forum was rife with people who claimed to be friends of friends of Axl or people connected to the people he was using to record the album. For lack of news we all got sucked in by outlandish claims of ownership of rough cuts, photos of Axl etc. Eventually we all pinched ourselves and realized it was total bollocks. My personal favorite was a guy on the forum who claimed the above. He was hiding under a desk secretly recording Chinese Democracy tracks.

Anyway... I was joking.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-guns-n-roses-drummer-matt-sorum-says-his-forthcoming-autobiography-will-be-the-juiciest-of-the-juiciest-of-the-gnr-books/

On his plans to write an autobiography:

Matt: "I'm writing [it] right now. When you write a book, you sit for hours and just go through the trials and tribulations. I've done almost four months of four- or five-day sessions, like, once a month, so I've got hours and hours — probably a thousand pages right now. We're going to edit it down. It's going to be good, though. It's going to be the juiciest of the juiciest of the GN'R books, for sure, plus all the other crap I've done. I'm being really truthful about everything that happened. I'm not a jaded individual; I'm not a bitter guy. There's a lot of bad shit that went down, but I just want to tell the story straightforward, and I don't want to, like, hold back. I will edit some things — my wife's got to look at it. [Laughs] I've had such an amazing life, and I go, 'Wow, man. If I don't write it down now, I don't want to forget.' There's a lot of good shit in the book that doesn't pertain to GN'R. Before I was in a rock band, I was a drug smuggler. I used to smuggle cocaine across borders. I'd fly on airplanes with two kilos strapped around my waist. Most of my deliveries were in Hawaii, because I had a big connection there. I thought about the title 'Rock 'N' Roll Smuggler'. Imagine the movie 'Blow', and then think about coming up in rock 'n' roll, before I got into bands that I was in. My way to pay my way was smuggling, and that's what I did. A lot of the book, there's probably going to be at least a chapter or two on my drug-dealing days. The last time I smuggled two kilos to Hawaii, I remember thinking I was being followed, and it wasn't because I was paranoid on cocaine — I really felt that I was being followed. So, I told the guy that flew this stuff for — I was the mule, and I got, like, a couple grand every time I went — 'I can't do this. I'm being followed.' He's like, 'Oh, man, you're just high.' I'm like, 'No, man. I'm not doing it. I'm going back to L.A.' The guy that took my place got arrested. 20 years in a federal penitentiary [for] international drug smuggling. That would have been me."

On joining GUNS N' ROSES:

Matt: "I had this sort of initial big offering of THE CULT taking me into the arena level. I feel like I'm in a [big] band. This is good. I'm cool. This is a great life. I'm making a great living. When the GUNS N' ROSES offer came along, I can't say I had really listened to the ['Appetite For Destruction'] record even though it was everywhere. I didn't buy it, because I was on the road. I was doing my own thing; I was living another life. When I got back to L.A. and THE CULT tour finished, I got that call from Slash, and ended up coming to Hollywood. When I finally was offered the position, Slash and Duff and then Axl came in, very similar to Ian. Waited a few days and came down. Axl came in and he kind of walked by. He winked at Slash, and then he left. Same thing as Ian did, except for he didn't sing. That day, Slash said, 'You're in the band, dude. You want be in the band?' We went up to his house, and we were drinking and hanging out. I remember thinking, 'These guys are nuts, but I like them.' [Laughs] I ended up joining the band and becoming a member. I wasn't a sideman. A lot of people think I was, but I was full member. When we started touring, my first [show] was Rock In Rio. We get down there, and I never had really even rehearsed with Axl. He never showed up to rehearsal. Everyone's like, 'He'll be fine.' In those days, we used no setlist — we just flew by the seat of our pants. It was awesome — it was so punk rock."

On not being asked to participate in GN'R's "Not In This Lifetime" tour:

Matt: "People ask me, 'How do you feel about not being involved in the reunion?' I say, 'I've got to tell you — I was there at the height of everything. And I did it.' Sure, I could go out there and play that music, no problem, but I'm very, very grateful that I was there when it was the greatest it was. That was the biggest tour GN'R ever did. We were at the hugest level at that point, did two and a half years on the road. It was great."

• Like 1

On 08/02/2018 at 7:13 AM, RONIN said:

The only interest this book has for me would be what he has to say about Axl and Guns circa '94-97 - aka "the wilderness years". 

man i bet he can shed a lot of light in the 1990-1991 period as well. he probably can provide precious info on those years, maybe more than any of the other guys ever did, for obvious reasons

i never paid much attention to matt interviews or whatever but until the day I was blown away by his interview with a Brazilian youtube show where he pretty much gave a complete description of how "double talking jive" was put together. That description was short but great, and it provided a real insight on the crazy band dynamics on those years

if he can focus on that kind of thing, talk about the songs, the sessions, the band dynamics and everything around it, i think it can be priceless

one of the quotes from the your thread Izzy Stradlin' Leaves GnR: A Retrospective (Vintage Quotes 1991-2017) that surprised me a bit (cause probably i never read it or didnt remember reading) was matt saying how the band sounded "like guns n roses" when izzy returned in 1993.

i am listening to a 2-hours podcast with Matt and he says it will be the "juiciest of the juiciest" gnr books and i believe he can deliver it!

"It’s going to be the juiciest of the juiciest of the GN’R books, for sure, plus all the other crap I’ve done. I’m being really truthful about everything that happened. I’m not a jaded individual; I’m not a bitter guy. There’s a lot of bad shit that went down, but I just want to tell the story straightforward, and I don’t want to, like, hold back. I will edit some things — my wife’s got to look at it. [Laughs]"

and of course he can say a lot about the 1994-1997 era as well as you mentioned

there are some interesting topics from that era, like the jamming they did with zakk wylde and some other stuff

my real interest would be anything related to actual GNR, i mean, maybe matt can tell us if izzy ever returned to jam/write with them during that era

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

man i bet he can shed a lot of light in the 1990-1991 period as well. he probably can provide precious info on those years, maybe more than any of the other guys ever did, for obvious reasons

i never paid much attention to matt interviews or whatever but until the day I was blown away by his interview with a Brazilian youtube show where he pretty much gave a complete description of how "double talking jive" was put together. That description was short but great, and it provided a real insight on the crazy band dynamics on those years

if he can focus on that kind of thing, talk about the songs, the sessions, the band dynamics and everything around it, i think it can be priceless

one of the quotes from the your thread Izzy Stradlin' Leaves GnR: A Retrospective (Vintage Quotes 1991-2017) that surprised me a bit (cause probably i never read it or didnt remember reading) was matt saying how the band sounded "like guns n roses" when izzy returned in 1993.

i am listening to a 2-hours podcast with Matt and he says it will be the "juiciest of the juiciest" gnr books and i believe he can deliver it!

"It’s going to be the juiciest of the juiciest of the GN’R books, for sure, plus all the other crap I’ve done. I’m being really truthful about everything that happened. I’m not a jaded individual; I’m not a bitter guy. There’s a lot of bad shit that went down, but I just want to tell the story straightforward, and I don’t want to, like, hold back. I will edit some things — my wife’s got to look at it. [Laughs]"

and of course he can say a lot about the 1994-1997 era as well as you mentioned

there are some interesting topics from that era, like the jamming they did with zakk wylde and some other stuff

my real interest would be anything related to actual GNR, i mean, maybe matt can tell us if izzy ever returned to jam/write with them during that era

Yeah, I agree - Matt's perspective on the Illusion years could be pretty insightful. Since he's probably not on the best of terms with Axl, Slash, and Duff - I have a feeling he's not going to hold back at all. It won't be as diplomatic as Duff's book, that's for sure. :lol:

There's a lot of mystery in those 94-97 years. Maybe Matt can clear up whether Izzy was ever at the '96 sessions with 50 songs ready for Axl and Slash. And needless to say, maybe Matt can tell us about the man, the myth, the legend - Mr. Paul Tobias. :drool:

42 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yeah, I agree - Matt's perspective on the Illusion years could be pretty insightful. Since he's probably not on the best of terms with Axl, Slash, and Duff - I have a feeling he's not going to hold back at all. It won't be as diplomatic as Duff's book, that's for sure. :lol:

There's a lot of mystery in those 94-97 years. Maybe Matt can clear up whether Izzy was ever at the '96 sessions with 50 songs ready for Axl and Slash. And needless to say, maybe Matt can tell us about the man, the myth, the legend - Mr. Paul Tobias. :drool:

yeah i suppose we have a big chance of getting the best book yet on GNR

which is not that hard since the books we have so far are way too "diplomatic" as you put it!

Fuck I'm SO looking forward to Matt's book ! Unheard info on THE most important and underexamined GNR years => '90 -> '97

Will it be biased ? Probably.  Will it be balls-out ? Fuck yeah !

This book is gonna shit all over the fake reunion !

• Like 3

I don't think the end result is going to be as juicy as you guys are hoping for. Anyone who's been in the band previously will probably take it easy on the "tell-all" aspect of things because of the chance to get really paid by still being involved at some point in the future. I wouldn't expect any huge details until after people start passing away.

• Like 2

I’d be curious to read the 90-94 years, especially the UYI recordings, the band dynamic, the Axl/Izzy, Axl/Slash, Slash/Izzy dynamics, the mixing of the album, the touring. I’m interested on what he has to say on the break up with Izzy, how it went down in his eyes and how the band was like after Izzy left.

Was he around Axl at all during his wilderness years, I doubt it. Thus I think he won’t have anything to tell really. 

19 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

This book is gonna shit all over the fake reunion !

Or y'know you can read a book and enjoy the current GNR tour and not feel the need to only post if you have something bad to say about the current GNR lineup

But hey, I guess that is too much common sense lol

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think the end result is going to be as juicy as you guys are hoping for. Anyone who's been in the band previously will probably take it easy on the "tell-all" aspect of things because of the chance to get really paid by still being involved at some point in the future. I wouldn't expect any huge details until after people start passing away.

Really get paid doing what though? The NITL tour was the big payday/cash in. That's not happening again.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:56 AM, RussTCB said:

Matt’s not gonna be part of any future touring and I believe the book will reflect that reality. 

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

Anyone spot this gem? Priceless.

Wow! Didn't know he smuggled! 

I'm really looking forward to this! Hopefully a christmas present next year??? Or something 

Edited by Tadsy