Ontario sheds 59,300 part-time jobs in January as new $14 minimum wage begins

Ace Nova

But isn't it rather clever? US companies won't have to pay their employees decent salaries, instead shifting the responsibility onto us poor tourists and business travellers. In that sense it is brilliant! 

I think I'll reduce the salaries of my colleagues and instead tell them that from now on they will have to rely on the pity of strangers to bring home the bacon. Why didn't I think of this before? 

• Haha 1

Ontario is in Canada.  We also have tipping here due to shit wages.  And a lot of the places where minimum wage workers are dont even allow tipping, like McDonalds.

Our service industry workers have a minimum wage below the normal minimum wage, because tipping exists!  Its just wrong.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So society is so racist that they wont allow em a wage...except customers, who don't paying em?  Dies' is right, you lot are mental :lol:  Except you, you're alright! 

Racism isn't supposed to be logical. They would tip them if they enjoy the service, as a reward for being a good *insert racial slur here*. Like slaves getting rewarded for good behavior.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Increased minimum wage in the US might lessen the importance of that country's moronic and totally incomprehensible tipping culture. And for that alone I am in favor.

Probably not since restaurants are legally allowed to pay $2.83 an hour to servers, unless there's a plan on changing that too.

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I've heard there's a big housing crisis over there, particularly London. Boris Johnson seems like an absolute cunt, I remember him arguing that the cost was totally fine. We have a housing crisis here too, primarily in Auckland which is so expensive basic af properties sell for $1mil+

Nail on the head. 

The next time Teresa May harps on about communities not existing anymore, I can point to the wealthy people who have been able to buy up London properties as investments. Even if those are rented out to middle income people, renters move house way more often than homeowners. A society can't be created if everyone in it moves an average of every four years. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Am I still entitled to a British passport/citizenship since my father is English?

I haven't been following British politics but last I was Corbyn seemed good. But I've heard bad things, what's your opinion of him?

Smelly old communist who supports the IRA. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Am I still entitled to a British passport/citizenship since my father is English?

I haven't been following British politics but last I was Corbyn seemed good. But I've heard bad things, what's your opinion of him?

You should be. Call the UK embassy for information

@Oldest Goat, Brexit kinda fucked over millennials.  You should come to Canada.  You just have to vape some of our sweet dank kindness, last two rounds boxing our PM and then you're a permanent resident.  From there you just have to take a course in zoology with a focous on the communication habits of the 'Muricans and then youre a citizen! 

Tct8rN1h.jpg

• Haha 1

Here's a recent article on the matter as experienced in Australia:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/talent/australia-pays-fast-food-workers-20-an-hour-and-the-sky-hasnt-fallen/article38026876/

Takeaways:

- Moving to a higher minimum wage isn't without it's difficulties, but in the case of Australia, has not resulted in the doom and gloom that many anti-minimum wage critics claim.

- According to the Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration, Australia labour codes state "that if an employer was unable to pay a living wage, it was not entitled to operate a business. A living wage was defined in the decision as being sufficient to permit an unskilled worker, a dependent spouse and three dependent children to live in "frugal comfort.""

- Despite having higher minimum wages, Australia is competitive amongst developed nations.

- Side benefit of higher minimum wages: reduce burden on tax payers and the state to supplement low-income earners.  

- There is a transition period where higher minimum wages result in pain for a certain segment of society; but these negative consequences are generally negated by the gains made.

- A single minimum wage is too blunt to be effective; instead, consideration should be given to occupation, local living costs, and industry.  This is accomplished in Australia through its Modern Awards program.