The Jazz Thread

Sosso

I have listened to a lot of jazz music recently. It's such an amazing and fascinating genre.

I have listened to a couple of album from Miles Davis (Birth of the Cool, Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew) and John Coltrane (Giant Steps, Coltrane Jazz).

Here's a documentary about Kind of Blue :) 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

Great idea for thread! 

Theres wonderful moments in life as a music fan that happen and as much as we'd love to be able to recreate the thrill, it will just never be as good as the first time you heard it. When the joy of a new sound fills you from head to toe.  It moves in you mind, body and spirit. For me; age 5 hearing beach boys on headphones.  Seeing ISE on Paris PPV.  And then hearing this (dizzy gillepspie)

• Like 1

Broad fuckin' topic really.  I'm kind of enamoured with Mingus at the moment.  And Max Roach, though thats an on-going love affair, sheer fuckin' drumming exstacy that bloke.  Coltrane of course is like the fucking gold standard.  Kinda like Hendrix he was REALY getting out there towards the end of his life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Great idea for thread! 

Theres wonderful moments in life as a music fan that happen and as much as we'd love to be able to recreate the thrill, it will just never be as good as the first time you heard it. When the joy of a new sound fills you from head to toe.  It moves in you mind, body and spirit. For me; age 5 hearing beach boys on headphones.  Seeing ISE on Paris PPV.  And then hearing this (dizzy gillepspie)

Bird and Diz is a great album.  Another great album you wanna check out is Quintet of the Year, its Bird, Diz, Mingus, Max Roach and Bud Powell in the same band, how fuckin' sick is that, like a Jazz all star team, all in the 50s, in their prime, goin' for it.  The really wail like crazy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Broad fuckin' topic really.  I'm kind of enamoured with Mingus at the moment.  And Max Roach, though thats an on-going love affair, sheer fuckin' drumming exstacy that bloke.  Coltrane of course is like the fucking gold standard.  Kinda like Hendrix he was REALY getting out there towards the end of his life.

Ah, Max Roach; theres an artist I've never got into yet.  Glad you brought him up.  

9 minutes ago, Sosso said:

My favourite jazz song is Moon Dreams from Miles Davis' album Birth of the Cool. I could listen to it every time of the day to escape a bit from reality.

Little known fact, the trumpet bit in Cold Sweat by James Brown is identical to, and indeed stolen from, the on going motif in So What? by Miles Davis.

Edited by Len Cnut

Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah just released a trilogy of incredible jazz albums. He also collaborated with Sarah Elizabeth Charles on some of her songs. Depends if you're into jazz vocalists or not. That's what I'm listening to most from the genre right now. Plus, Tony Allen and Shabaka and the Ancestors have released some great albums over the past couple of years.

• GNFNR 1

I had the opportunity to book Jazz artists at a restaurant for a while.  'Just' local folks so no stories that way.  But oh my, what a bunch of characters, stereotypes, nerds and creeps! lol.

This one band that really laid on the weird in there musical choices; everytime someone would request a song they'd say "Oh, we just played that." Haha.  And that was even if they actually wanted to play the song and would then play it next anyways.  Other acts did that if they didn't wanna play "Take Five"  but this one band did it every single time.  Totally straight-faced.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Little known fact, the trumpet bit in Cold Sweat by James Brown is identical to, and indeed stolen from, the on going motif in So What? by Miles Davis.

That's definitely the finest song in the history of Jazz. Even people who are not into that genre would recognize that melody 

Edited by Sosso

• 2 weeks later...

I'm by no means an expert on the genre. I find it really difficult to navigate, if you get what I mean. It's incredibly broad. But also fascinating. 

My collection at the moment: 

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else

Charlie Parker - With Strings

Duke Elington - At Newport 1956

Duke Ellington - Never No Lament: The Blanton & Webster Band

Erroll Garner - Concert By The Sea

Gil Evans - The Individualism Of Gil Evans

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool

Miles Davis - Walkin' / Cookin' / Relaxin' / Steamin' / Workin' 

Miles Davis - Milestones

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Thelonious Monk - Briliant Corners

Out of those I love most Miles Davis albums I listed. Bitches Brew the least. Silent Way is growing on me. I love Cannonball's Somethin Else. Garner's Concert By The Sea is super relaxing piano music. Coltrane had to grow on me. The Brubeck one is great. Having some trouble getting into Evans and Monk. Ellington is amazing. Feedback and advice are very welcome. 

Aside from that, I suppose this also counts as jazz but in a different way: 

Nat King Cole - The Extraordinary 

Ella Fitzgerald - All My Life

Louis Armstrong - Greatest Hits

Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares For Me

Ray Charles - The Definitive Ray Charles 

• Like 1

On 28/02/2018 at 9:38 PM, moreblack said:

Anyone see the Coltrane doc on Netflix?

There's a Coltrane doc on netflix?  Whats it called, i think you guyses netflix and the England one has different shit but I'll stick em 8 quid for the month for a Coltrane doc.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah after you mentioned it i went fishing and found the whole thing on youtube, thank you sir!

cant watch it til i get off work tho, have u seen it, is it any good?

I did, it's good. Lots of talking by people who were with him through his life.

• Like 1