GN'R BOOKS - Where to start from?

With the new Matt Sorum book coming out and everything I wanted to ask some of you guys who know more than me, where to start from. I haven't read any of the GN'R books out... And I was curious to know your opinion on which one is the best one to begin with. I was thinking about Mick Wall's Last of the Giants, but I have read that it borrows a lot from Slash's and Duff's books. I hope you guys can help me out, I'm hungry for some GN'R news, interviews, new music and everything, reading the forum all day every day hoping to find some new rumor or something... But since it's dead silent I can take this chance to read up the stuff I've missed. Thank You!

I’ve read Slashs’ and Duff’s (only it’s so easy) and IMO Slash’s is far superior. I did enjoy Duff’s but Slash is just better. More debauchery stories and more insight to writing, recording and touring. 

Not to mention how interesting his speedball stories are. 

Ive read it a good 5-10 times. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Don't forget Mick Wall's first GNR book 'The Most Dangerous Band In The World'.

Why ?

Because it's full of full-length one-on-one interviews with Axl/Slash/Duff, offers insights into one of the most interesting eras of the band : '89/'90.

This was the first Guns book i bought in '91 i think. It's a good read. Slash's book is good and so is Duffs. Stevens is not very good at all but i think Matts one will be very interesting.

I think if you read:

- Marc Canter's book

- Slash's and Duff's autobiographies

- the many interviews and articles, that are available online (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), in chronological order

- plus Chinese Whispers and the articles linked in it for the NuGnR era

you are more than covered.

The biographies that are out there (Mick Wall's, Stephen Davis' etc.) not only offer nothing more but also have many mistakes and inaccuracies (Wall's latest one was slightly better in this regard).

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

3 hours ago, Carmenjello said:

No way slashs book is any better. First off duffs writing is far superior and he wrote the book by himself, also the style of storytelling is far superior from slashs book. Slash is mostly lost in telling how wasted he was.

To each there own pal. Like I said, just my opinion. But you seem to state fact so I dunno

17 hours ago, Don-t_damn_me said:

With the new Matt Sorum book coming out and everything I wanted to ask some of you guys who know more than me, where to start from. I haven't read any of the GN'R books out... And I was curious to know your opinion on which one is the best one to begin with. I was thinking about Mick Wall's Last of the Giants, but I have read that it borrows a lot from Slash's and Duff's books. I hope you guys can help me out, I'm hungry for some GN'R news, interviews, new music and everything, reading the forum all day every day hoping to find some new rumor or something... But since it's dead silent I can take this chance to read up the stuff I've missed. Thank You!

where to begin?

right here = https://www.amazon.com/Over-Top-Story-Roses-Classic/dp/0711952221

41wv2WX2llL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

very few people seem to know this book

no one ever mentions it

i have read it in the 90s and it is fantastic

written right after UIY tour (if i am not mistaken) it has great insight on GNR rise, on its greatness

and also on its downfall

i cant recommend this book enough, its far superior to everything i have ever read about the band and much-more eye opening than any of the Slash/Duff books

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would just go with Canter's to be honest. Slash's and Duff's are worth a read I suppose but there is really only one book you need on your shelf and that is Canter's. The unofficial ones are mostly junk, just recycled interviews you can find on the internet.

this one is no junk = https://www.amazon.com/Over-Top-Story-Roses-Classic/dp/0711952221

Edited by ludurigan

Thanks everybody for your suggestions,I think at this point since slash is a personal hero of mine and I love insights about the recording process,I could start with his book, than maybe continue with canter's and so on ...what do you think about that? 

The only doubt would be that I don't wanna get lost in too many junkies tales and focus more on band dynamic and recording process

Edited by Don-t_damn_me
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Don-t_damn_me said:

Thanks everybody for your suggestions,I think at this point since slash is a personal hero of mine and I love insights about the recording process,I could start with his book, than maybe continue with canter's and so on ...what do you think about that? 

The only doubt would be that I don't wanna get lost in too many junkies tales and focus more on band dynamic and recording process

Don't worry. Obviously there are some junkie stories in Slash's book, but he keeps it in line and focuses on interessting stuff. You learn a lot about how  especially the Appetite songs came together. A good read.

• Like 1

From his autobiography, Slash's rational for wearing leather trousers never fails to raise a smile.

Spoiler

When you pee yourself after a heavy night on the tiles, the wee wee stains do not show (as they would with jeans).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, illusionone said:

What about Welcome to my Jungle by Craig Duswalt. What an amazing insight into the Illusions tour and the life of a rock star at the highest level.

you mean the life of the best singer ever turnerd prima donna and the ultra high level nonsense that comes along with it?

• Like 1