Guns N' Roses and Motley Crüe-who do y'all think is better overall

Srushti7

They're totally different types of band so it's silly to compare, Crue are just pure bubblegum, escapist, fun, not to be taken seriously, similar to KISS. Music snobs are always going to hate them, while secretly wishing they could have done a fraction of what those lads have done in their lives. While Guns are obviously an altogether more serious, worthy band with a far greater legacy and impact on the rock world. I love both of them.

They were my two favourite bands when the 'feud' was going on, Axl did very well to avoid that challenge to a boxing match, Vince would have battered him.

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah but I'm right and Motley Crue fans are wankers :D

Fuck off! :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

They're totally different types of band so it's silly to compare, Crue are just pure bubblegum, escapist, fun, not to be taken seriously, similar to KISS. Music snobs are always going to hate them, while secretly wishing they could have done a fraction of what those lads have done in their lives. While Guns are obviously an altogether more serious, worthy band with a far greater legacy and impact on the rock world. I love both of them.

They were my two favourite bands when the 'feud' was going on, Axl did very well to avoid that challenge to a boxing match, Vince would have battered him.

Fuck off! :lol:

I didn't mean you, I meant them other ones :lol:  Actually if I'm being honest most 80s rock fans are fuckin' fraggles in my experience :lol:  I'm not tryna be rude here, most people on this forum are alright so that stands totally contrary to my comment but I mean like, in person.  The only place I ever met em was at GnRs gig in Hammersmith in 07 and I just thought 'what the fuck am I doin' here?', they were all a bunch of fuckin' Towers of London look-a-likes with fuckin' skinny jeans and almost-beer-guts with Donny Tourettes haircuts that looked like they'd have trouble holding a shot to the jaw.

• Haha 2

Guns by a long shot.

Motley definitey made their mark, but! They were a big arena, theatre act at most. Also, while they have a lot of big songs, they have very few that crossover to the mainstream fareweather type music fan compared to gnr who have that same type of fan but still they know Handful if their songs at the very least.

Gnr are a stadium act, and even at their most unpopular they were still as big and bigger than Motley.

Discussing better or worse? Subjective. I don't think motley made great records, a lot of great songs but the albums as a whole rarely stood up from start to finish. 

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Motley Crue '94, the self titled album with John Corabi on vocals is their only truly great album from start to finish. 

It's a cracker that's for sure, not really Motley though imo, it sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of their catalogue, totally different vibe and sound. It should probably have been released under a different name. Very underrated album.

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

dr_feelgood.jpg

Well I said 'rarely'. That is a good album, but I would struggle to not skip a song or two at the same time. I know you might say you'd struggle to not skip a song or two on AFD or any of the other guns albums.

I love Bob rocks production on this! Sounds amazing!

Arrgh please you bitches really think I meant this as a serious question? 

Y'all really think I'm gonna put November Rain VS Home sweet Home? When I know the obvious case? 

I just wanted y'all to shade the fuck outta the overrated asf Motley Crüe:lol:

17 hours ago, Srushti7 said:

:lol:

Agree. Guns opened for Motley and ended up becoming much bigger than them. Motley, Skid Row, Ratt, Quiet Riot, all are the same. The reason I brought this up was because I saw this documentary on VH1 about sunset strip and everyone was equating Guns with the other cheesy Glam metal bands. I was like "Fuck that" 

But on a side note, Motley were consistent. Released albums, went on farewell tour, etc. But except for like Mick, I don't think others are as talented as they'd like to think. 😁

Yeah - I have no idea why they do that since GnR is nothing like those bands. Even on Spotify, if you look at the GnR page and check out the similar artists, all you see are hair bands like Motley Crue and Poison. Guess they just lump everyone from that era together.

I remember buying Motley Crue's greatest hits as a teen in the early 00's because they were considered a similar band to GnR. Heard about half that album and threw it in the trash. As a 90's kid without any nostalgia for the 80's, Motley Crue just sounded completely crap to my ears. I don't know in what world Motley Crue sounds like GnR, especially Illusion era GnR.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuckin' Guns n Roses all day long.  I ain't even GnRs biggest fan but fuck me, Motley Crue are a bunch of fannies, fuck that shit, fuckin' glam rock 15 years out of date with none of the charm and even less of the style, in terms of the look they just turned it into fuckin' muscle-bound greasers with make up on, it was just hideous and the lyrics were just fuckin' terrible.  Awful fuckin' band.  Guns n Roses wee all over Motley Crue from a great fuckin' height, not even in the same fuckin' conversation, Motley Crue are poor to the point of unlistenable. 

Yeah but I'm right and Motley Crue fans are wankers :D

Agreed. Horrid band imho - but I wasn't around for their glory days. I first heard of them through all the media coverage of Tommy Lee's infamous tape w/ Pam Anderson back in the day. :lol:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Srushti7 said:

Arrgh please you bitches really think I meant this as a serious question? 

Y'all really think I'm gonna put November Rain VS Home sweet Home? When I know the obvious case? 

I just wanted y'all to shade the fuck outta the overrated asf Motley Crüe:lol:

🤔:facepalm: whatever works for you. But Motley were a big influence on the LA rock scene... And yes even guns were influenced by Motley even if that influence was just the "we can do it too" sort of thing.

Don't think Motley are overrated at all, I think most people myself included say that they had a great setlist for a concert (similar to a band like the foo fighters) but once you dig a little deeper in the catalogue things start going awry slightly.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

🤔:facepalm: whatever works for you. But Motley were a big influence on the LA rock scene... And yes even guns were influenced by Motley even if that influence was just the "we can do it too" sort of thing.

Don't think Motley are overrated at all, I think most people myself included say that they had a great setlist for a concert (similar to a band like the foo fighters) but once you dig a little deeper in the catalogue things start going awry slightly.

Never denied their influence on the LA rock scene. But they're definitely overrated, even if I think Dr Feelgood is decent. Nikki Sixx isn't that terrific as a bass player nor is Vince a great vocalist. 

What I dislike is how Guns get counted as one of the glam bands still by some general public. They get too much shit for their break up. 

Edited by Srushti7

6 hours ago, Srushti7 said:

Never denied their influence on the LA rock scene. But they're definitely overrated, even if I think Dr Feelgood is decent. Nikki Sixx isn't that terrific as a bass player nor is Vince a great vocalist. 

What I dislike is how Guns get counted as one of the glam bands still but some general public. They get too much shit for their break up. 

Take half of your favourite bands and split the individual members up, lots of them will be just ok, not great on their own, it's about what they bring to the table when they are all together.

And I don't know, I don't think GNR get lumped in with the hair metal movement all that often, mostly they get mentioned as one of the bands that was on the fringe of it doing something different "the antithesis of what was going on at the time" is the popular quote. Every once in a while they do unfairly get lumped in with that sort of thing, but it's usually some tabloid or rag website that doesn't know anything about rock or metal that makes such claims... so who cares

And not to disagree with everything :lol: but they get shit for the break up because the whole thing was so avoidable and such a cliched rock n roll story... and then the whole decade (which I was a fan of) that followed after it, which only furthered that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Take half of your favourite bands and split the individual members up, lots of them will be just ok, not great on their own, it's about what they bring to the table when they are all together.

And I don't know, I don't think GNR get lumped in with the hair metal movement all that often, mostly they get mentioned as one of the bands that was on the fringe of it doing something different "the antithesis of what was going on at the time" is the popular quote. Every once in a while they do unfairly get lumped in with that sort of thing, but it's usually some tabloid or rag website that doesn't know anything about rock or metal that makes such claims... so who cares

And not to disagree with everything :lol: but they get shit for the break up because the whole thing was so avoidable and such a cliched rock n roll story... and then the whole decade (which I was a fan of) that followed after it, which only furthered that.

Totally agree. But the fabulous thing about Guns is how, even after the nasty breakup, they still sold more than their contemporaries. :D 

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 6:38 AM, RONIN said:

Agreed. Horrid band imho - but I wasn't around for their glory days. I first heard of them through all the media coverage of Tommy Lee's infamous tape w/ Pam Anderson back in the day. :lol:

That tape scarred me mentally :scared:

On 2/21/2018 at 1:08 AM, RONIN said:

If you were into the hair metal scene back in the late 80's/early 90's you would have seen them as Gods, trust me. They were the baddest boys on the block, basically, well maybe until Guns arrived on the scene. Try reading their autobiography 'The Dirt', possibly the greatest rock n' roll book ever written. Even if you don't like their music, you will be entertained.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 1:26 PM, RussTCB said:

Motley Crue '94, the self titled album with John Corabi on vocals is their only truly great album from start to finish. 

It's a fantastic album, but I'd also put Shout at the Devil in that category.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 11:36 PM, bucketfoot said:

If you were into the hair metal scene back in the late 80's/early 90's you would have seen them as Gods, trust me. They were the baddest boys on the block, basically, well maybe until Guns arrived on the scene. Try reading their autobiography 'The Dirt', possibly the greatest rock n' roll book ever written. Even if you don't like their music, you will be entertained.

I still listen to them. :ph34r:

I need to check out that book!

• Like 1