New Sean Beavan Interview Talking Chinese Democracy, Axl, GNR, NIN & More!

3 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

I'm in two bands and in one I write all the music cause I'm the only guitar player, and the other I do lead guitar. In the latter it's me and two other guys who are basically session live guys for the time being. We learn the songs that the main guy wrote and recorded. It's his vision and his alone that has any merit. We're there to do a job and that's rounding out the lineup so we can do live gigs. After we tour we will become full members and write as a band. See any similarities (other than the becoming full members/writing as a band part?) NuGNR was AXL'S SOLO PROJECT. His band members did exactly what I'm doing now: learning someone else's music. How anyone can call GNR 99-2015 an actual band and not laugh at the same time is either a moron, diluted, ignorant, or all of the above.

And you completely missed the boat on how CD was not written solely by Axl and has many other credited writers.

Go back and read the credits.

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

And you completely missed the boat on how CD was not written solely by Axl and has many other credited writers.

Go back and read the credits.

You think Axl didn't have any control over what was written? I guarantee he told those guys exactly what he wanted and had to approve of each riff, each solo, etc. If someone came to Axl with a riff he didn't like I can guarantee that riff didn't end up on the album. 

Just now, SlashisGOD said:

You think Axl didn't have any control over what was written? I guarantee he told those guys exactly what he wanted and had to approve of each riff, each solo, etc. If someone came to Axl with a riff he didn't like I can guarantee that riff didn't end up on the album. 

Wtf is a writing credit.... 

That involves a copyright SR form.

So Axl just made up writing credits and handed them out to make himself look good??

SHUT UP

4 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I just wanted to know more about Axl's vocal conditions during the recording of Chinese. 

CAN HE STILL SOUND SIMILAR TO THE ILLUSIONS IN STUDIO???? GOD, I NEED TO KNOW THIS... Angel Down tell me he can, Chinese tells me he can't

Ummmmmm have you heard him sing on the ACDC tour and NITL tour????

11 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Wtf is a writing credit.... 

That involves a copyright SR form.

So Axl just made up writing credits and handed them out to make himself look good??

SHUT UP

Lol, ok so he just said write whatever you want. I don't give a fuck what it sounds like.

Yeah right. Face it, it's an Axl solo album.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Of course I did and enjoyed A LOT.

That's why I believe he can still sound like his prior self. 

But I would have liked to know it for certain 

Ok well...

How long ago was that? Lmao

The ACDC tour and NITL were two of his most recent tours right??

He's fine.

And all the people that cry and complain about him singing clean or not should seriously move on, he's obviously singing the way he wants when he wants and it's shown to be deliberate for the song in context and the consistency of that delivery and choice.

Just now, SlashisGOD said:

Lol, ok so he just said write whatever you want. I don't give a fuck what it sounds like.

Yeah right. Face it, it's an Axl solo album.

Look up what a copyright is and how that ties in with a writing credit and get a clue.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

you have the producer telling you that axl wanted HIS vision on the album and he wanted to avoid any creative tension or confrontation

I haven’t listen to the whole thing yet but I skipped to that part you mentioned and Sean was referring to Axl’s vision in the context of Brian May’s involvement, not the entire process or album. Last time I checked May was never a member and was invited as a guest to noodle around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

^clueless and most likely has NEVER been in a band.

Oh yeah, because I dont agree with your precious opinion I cant be a musician. 

This is a forum on the internet and the subject is not my personal life but FYI I grew up in a musicians family, I've lived and breath music since I was born and I've probably done way more in music with 22 than you'll do in your entire life. Now go back to your little heavy metal world and stop embarassing yourself believing you're more than the posters here just because you know how to shred a guitar. 

And credits mean nothing in a situation like this, those guys were being paid to be there and do what Axl was telling them to do, for a guy that is so scholled at being in bands you dont seem to know much about how it works he? 

Edited by default_
  • Confused 1

Ok well...

How long ago was that? Lmao

The ACDC tour and NITL were two of his most recent tours right??

He's fine.

And all the people that cry and complain about him singing clean or not should seriously move on, he's obviously singing the way he wants when he wants and it's shown to be deliberate for the song in context and the consistency of that delivery and choice.

Look up what a copyright is and how that ties in with a writing credit and get a clue.

Ok, Maybe I didnt make myself clear.

I think it would be great to talk about voice choices, what did he think about Axl’s new singing style, etc.

I’m not complaining at all. 

Edited by Alejandro GNR
  • Like 1

Oh Jesus. It doesn't matter who has a writing credit or not on the album. The fact is that it was Axl's vision and not 5 guys all writing as a band. If Axl said he wanted 10 piano ballads and no rockers there would be exactly that. CD is a solo album and a failed one at that. Nobody bought the charade that NuGNR was an actual band like the original was except for some tranny in South America with a DJ Assba fetish. 

Edited by SlashisGOD
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, default_ said:

Oh yeah, because I dont agree with your precious opinion I cant be a musician. 

This is a forum on the internet and the subject is not my personal life but FYI I grew up in a musicians family, I've lived and breath music since I was born and I've probably done way more in music with 22 than you'll do in your entire life. Now go back to your little heavy metal world and stop embarassing yourself believing you're more than the posters here just because you know how to shred a guitar. 

And credits mean nothing in a situation like this, those guys were being paid to be there and do what Axl was telling them to do, for a guy that is so scholled at being in bands you dont seem to know much about how it works he? 

The FACT remains that album was a collaborative effort and the writing credits prove that. Just because you and others can't come to terms with the fact Axl has the last word on what qualifies as a Guns song proves your not thinking rationally about what has happened.  

A record was released with numerous people as song writers. Nothing you spin, or omit, or distort can change that fact. Axl  having a vision of the musical  direction of the project DOESN'T make it a solo record.Come to terms with reality, copyrights and writing credits would not exist with other band members if your stance held any ounce of credibility. 

Whatever ego trip you are trying to give yourself you sound completely jaded. You have no idea what I have or haven't done, and it shows by your assumptions with your remarks. I know alot about how it works or I wouldn't comment on it, and the fact is most people here probably don't know how copyrights work or have used an SR form. Judging from the comments here year after year I say that, especially with yours and slashisgods comments, just completely off the mark.

So in your delusional world writing credits mean nothing, somehow this situation was so different and these credits exist to fool people like me?!?!??! Hahaha seriously, get a clue. Look up and research before making such a wild and ridiculous claim. "This situation is different Axl was a dictator over every note". Just nonsense

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

Oh Jesus. It doesn't matter who has a writing credit or not on the album. The fact is that it was Axl's vision and not 5 guys all writing as a band. If Axl said he wanted 10 piano ballads and no rockers there would be exactly that. CD is a solo album and a failed one at that. Nobody bought the charade that NuGNR was an actual band like the original was except for some tranny in South America with a DJ Assba fetish. 

And if Axl was the only song writer you would be crying about the same thing... He WAS NOT.

A vision does not mean someone wrote every song, every note, it's a direction, an approach, stylistically in nature and you are getting that clouded with actual SONG WRITING.

The fact people couldn't get past slash on the CD is thier problem, now that Slash and Duff are back guess what..  it's STILL Axls vision over the creative process he will have the last say over what song makes the cut. 

• Like 1

He's from Ohio!  I don't know what it is about folks from Ohio but it means something.  They're like America's small town, like a clan.  And it's true, they have something for graveyards.  I think it's their secret party place.  They run into each other somewhere in the world and they go off in a corner and talk like long lost buds mostly about who they know from Ohio, cars, roads and other towns.  Met a few of them and they are all pretty cool, down to earth folks.  Don't party with them, you're an amature.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

7 people credited on the song Chinese Democracy

That was clearly a solo effort.

Get a clue

wow!

I love being told what to do!

Its so classy!

Now please would you help me?

Please tell me... how do i get a clue?

by looking at, let's say, the ZILLIONS of artists who have solo careers and have other people writing or co-writing songs with them?

Is that a good "CLUE"?!

:rofl-lol:

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

wow!

Its so classy!

by looking at, let's say, the ZILLIONS of artists who have solo careers and have other people writing or co-writing songs with them?

Is that a good "CLUE"?!

Lmao

And this WASNT a solo effort by Axl. This was a BAND effort, not a solo artist that has songs co written or written for them. 

If I remember correctly there was ONE song that was credited to Axl only on the release. 

Edited by Order of Nine

14 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

wow!

Its so classy!

Is that a good "CLUE"?!

Tommy Stinson from 2009 blabbermouth

Bass Player: Describe the writing process for "Chinese Democracy".

Stinson: I came in around '98 when the band was still writing the record. It was Paul Tobias and Robin Finck on guitar, Dizzy Reed andChris Pitman on keys, Josh on drums and me. Everybody was just slowly starting to bring in ideas. We were set up at Rumbo Recorders, a big studio out in the middle of nowhere. A funny thing — Captain & Tennille own it. The whole thing looks like a boat. Anyway, we all just started hammering ideas out. Essentially it was eight guys collaborating. To be thrown into that kind of environment — eight guys from very different walks of life — was very crazy, I'd never worked in that way, but it was cool. There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones.

Bass Player: How did you work out your ideas in a civil way?

Stinson: We each had to give reasons for liking or disliking something — you couldn't just be bull-headed. We had to function as a democracy or we'd end up hating each other. Collaborating was good for that. I think every one of us learned a lot from it.

Derp derp derp derp

5 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Here you go again. For once can you step away and think objectively?.

You started of so well, then reverted back to the same closed mindedness.

Sean Bevan is giving us an outside perspective on his involvement with Guns N Roses and as a fan its great to get someone's insight that was actually involved.

If you notice all others people in this thread are taking the information provided by Mr Bevan and approaching it from a perspective of i did not know that, processing it, potentially looking at things differently then before.

Sitting her reading others people discussing their thoughts on information provided by Mr Bevan has been great as its objective and creating good talking points.

Please don't derail this as there are a number of threads you have stopped dead in there tracks, as you can not seem to stay objective on any matter in relation to the band.

OH THANKS SO MUCH!

That's it!

Lets talk about the things that you find that are worth talking about!

Lets shut up about all those other things that you don't feel like talking about that much!

That's it, fabulous suggestions!

Very much in the spirit of GNR and very much in the spirit of a DISCUSSION FORUM!

Next time, before writing anything here, should i send you a PM? So, you know, maybe you can tell me if the points I want to talk about are worth talking about or not!?

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Oh and thanks for letting me know that I am "closed minded"!

That I cant "think objectively"!

That I have the power to "stop threads dead in there(sic) tracks"!

its so fun and special to read that coming from someone who wants to restrain the discussion in a DISCUSSION FORUM!

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

oh, and by the way did you notice that I was talking about something that SEAN BEAVAN said about Axl Rose etc and you were the one who derailed the discussion and started talking about me instead of talking about GNR?

Did you by any chance NOTICE THAT?

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

6 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

No shit Sherlock.. it's largely always been his vision. But that is besides the point when you have multiple musicians contributing to the WRITING process. 

That's not a solo act equation.

Your the one that needs help, you and the countless other people hear that cry about CD being a solo album of Axl. 

do your self a favour and go check the credits to, let's say, Slash solo album

thats just for starters!

then do yourself another favour and go check the credits on other solo albums!

then maybe, just maybe, you will stop embarrassing yourself!

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

Nicely done. Beavan’s an interesting interview and very talented. 

Seems like there actually was a good initial creative push in 98-99- and a group of guys that had grown tight and enjoyed working/creating together (i.e. Finck/Stinson/Freese/Reed/Beavan, etc.). 

Accordingly- though I love the released Chinese Democracy- the ‘99 record (with Beavan at the controls), and the UYI Tour footage are easily the “Holy Grails” in the Guns vault for me... 

30 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Tommy Stinson from 2009 blabbermouth

Bass Player: Describe the writing process for "Chinese Democracy".

Stinson: I came in around '98 when the band was still writing the record. It was Paul Tobias and Robin Finck on guitar, Dizzy Reed andChris Pitman on keys, Josh on drums and me. Everybody was just slowly starting to bring in ideas. We were set up at Rumbo Recorders, a big studio out in the middle of nowhere. A funny thing — Captain & Tennille own it. The whole thing looks like a boat. Anyway, we all just started hammering ideas out. Essentially it was eight guys collaborating. To be thrown into that kind of environment — eight guys from very different walks of life — was very crazy, I'd never worked in that way, but it was cool. There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones.

Bass Player: How did you work out your ideas in a civil way?

Stinson: We each had to give reasons for liking or disliking something — you couldn't just be bull-headed. We had to function as a democracy or we'd end up hating each other. Collaborating was good for that. I think every one of us learned a lot from it.

Derp derp derp derp

the fact that axl had a "writing team" (pretty poor one if you ask me!) doesnt mean that it wasnt a solo album!

a lot of solo artists have writers, but you probably have no idea of that!

• Like 1

Just now, ludurigan said:

do your self a favour and go check the credits to, let Slash solo album

thats just for starters!

then do yourself another favour and go check the credits on other solo albums

then maybe, just maybe, you will stop embarrassing yourself!

Your heads pretty thick, don't worry. 

The CD credits are still carved in stone and instead of assuming, and making wild claims, and omitting the facts that slap you in the face you still CRY. 

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

the fact that axl had a "writing team" (pretty poor one if you ask me!) doesnt mean that it wasnt a solo album!

a lot of solo artists have writers, but you probably have no idea of that!

Can you please READ that it was a band effort, a collaborative effort, a democracy. 

Your starting to drool on yourself 

2 hours ago, SlashisGOD said:

i didnt get the last joke but yeah, thanks for articulating it a bit better than me

but you know what, you are just a bit mistaken because quite a lot of people bought the charade that NuGNR was an actual band

i have no idea how can anyone buy that, but yeah, i used to believe a lot of things in the past that i feel pretty dumb these days like "how could i believe that!"