New Sean Beavan Interview Talking Chinese Democracy, Axl, GNR, NIN & More!

26 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Go and have another listen.

Melodies, chords, vocal lines COMPLETELY different. 

Besides the fact the hand that feeds was written in a studio off of a keyboard and a drum loop, and shackler's has at least 5 different parts to the song.. 

23 minutes ago, killuridols said:

lol 'The Hand That Feeds' was released in 2005 in the album #WithTeeth :facepalm:

Nooooooooo kidding...

And shackler's was recorded BEFORE this.

23 minutes ago, killuridols said:

lol 'The Hand That Feeds' was released in 2005 in the album #WithTeeth :facepalm:

Go look up who wrote shackler's riff and when the guy was in the band.. clueless.

Edited by Order of Nine

Shackler's Revenge has certainly a general vibe of mid-late 90s and of the predominant music of that era, but I really don't hear any NIN in it :shrugs:

The only specific association that kind of comes to mind is White Zombies' More Human Than Human (for the intro).

Also, as far as the particular NIN song goes: according to the liner notes Shackler's was co-written by Axl ,    Buckethead,  Brain,  Costanzo    and  Scaturro.  Buckethead   was   gone   before   The   Hand   That  Feeds   was   released     and   Brain   left    in    mid   2006.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

:facepalm:

People who think Shackler's is a UNIQUE PIECE OF MUSIC THAT NO ONE EVER WROTE BEFORE are the only deaf ones and stubborn who are only arguing for the sake of their own egos. 

Shackler's is a generic nu-metal, industrial song that sounds like NIN, Manson and all the bands that tried that sound before Axl discovered Protools.

It is nothing special or authentic or vanguardist and being released in 2008 makes it even more dated and forgettable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Shackler's also has more than a touch of Marilyn Manson about it. Could have been on 'Mechanical Animals'.

Psssssssssst.

Hey, I think it SOUNDS like a Buckethead song with Axl singing on it. 

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

People who think Shackler's is a UNIQUE PIECE OF MUSIC THAT NO ONE EVER WROTE BEFORE are the only deaf ones and stubborn who are only arguing for the sake of their own egos. 

Shackler's is a generic nu-metal, industrial song that sounds like NIN, Manson and all the bands that tried that sound before Axl discovered Protools.

It is nothing special or authentic or vanguardist and being released in 2008 makes it even more dated and forgettable.

"Nu Metal"

CLUELESS!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

As I said, by far the worst song on CD for me, so out of place. The song is an ugly mess.

3 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

As I said, by far the worst song on CD for me, so out of place. The song is an ugly mess.

Nah, its not out of place because that album is a mess anyway :shrugs:

I like the stupid song, you know? :lol: but Im not gonna be lying to myself that it is what it is not and pretending Axl never :jerkoff: to the nuMetal bands and Trent Reznor :wub:

:lol:

• Haha 1

Shackler's sound reminds of 90s stuff in general and it's subpar compared to the good songs of that era.

But most of the electronica/industrial-ish rock of the mid-late 90s wasn't original either. It was heavily influenced by earlier bands that Axl was listening to in the 80s, e.g. Killing Joke, Bauhaus, Front 242 etc. Some Manson songs in particular are almost Bauhaus rip-offs.

Since Axl liked that kind of stuff in the 80s, it's only natural that he later liked NIN and other bands that were influenced by it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Nah, its not out of place because that album is a mess anyway :shrugs:

I like the stupid song, you know? :lol: but Im not gonna be lying to myself that it is what it is not and pretending Axl never :jerkoff: to the nuMetal bands and Trent Reznor :wub:

:lol:

I'll put CD on, enjoy the title track and then that shit comes on with that stupid fucking elephant noise and I immediately skip to Better. Horrible.

I think it's the placing of it on the album as well, it just disrupts the flow straight away. I might have enjoyed it more if it was later on the record, I dunno.

1 minute ago, bucketfoot said:

I'll put CD on, enjoy the title track and then that shit comes on with that stupid fucking elephant noise and I immediately skip to Better. Horrible.

I think it's the placing of it on the album as well, it just disrupts the flow straight away. I might have enjoyed it more if it was later on the record, I dunno.

Elephant noise!! :rofl-lol:

Well, get modern and make a list! You can change the song placing as you please. I do that all the time but I havent played a CD in years :mellow:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Yes it does.

Again, it does. A little bit.

And? I never said it was.

I think Shacklers has more in common with later day NIN, and that material came out around the same time as CD. Definitely NOT suggesting NIN were influenced by GNR or anything crazy though. I also love Shacklers revenge, probably one of my top 3 off that album... but I know a lot of people are bit off instantly with the intro etc. Think it's a great rocker, and would have loved to have seen it live with Bumble and co.

Anyway back to discussing the interview :D 

There is maybe one lick on that whole album that comes close to being metal.

The supposed guns fans here didn't know who wrote shackler's, when he left, and then made a song reference in comparison to shackler's to another song released AFTER shackler's was recorded.

And you call shackler's "nu metal" there's absolutely nothing going on there metal besides the bumble tapping lick and it's really not prominent in the mix. That's the only thing CLOSE to being metal in that entire album

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

There is maybe one lick on that whole album that comes close to being metal.

The supposed guns fans here didn't know who wrote shackler's, when he left, and then made a song reference in comparison to shackler's to another song released AFTER shackler's was recorded.

And you call shackler's "nu metal" there's absolutely nothing going on there metal besides the bumble tapping lick and it's really not prominent in the mix. That's the only thing CLOSE to being metal in that entire album

Definitely not nu metal, but I'd class it on the harder rock side of things. Definitely think that verse riff has heavy metal leanings though, similar to Pantera (imagine it with some wide vibrato at the end of each phrase and a squeal or two) or something of that ilk.

4 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Who said I didn't know who wrote it and when? That's your assumption. All I said was it has a bit of NIN about it and pointed out a track I think it sounds similar to and you went fucking mental! :lol: Fucking calm down!

18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Definitely not nu metal, but I'd class it on the harder rock side of things. Definitely think that verse riff has heavy metal leanings though, similar to Pantera (imagine it with some wide vibrato at the end of each phrase and a squeal or two) or something of that ilk.

Def hard rock, and I'd classify it as prog with all the different styles/elements.

The fact that the song or album can't be pigeon holed should tell others that it's an eclectic mix. 

That verse riff is out of the pocket, nothing interlocking with the drums at all. It's a quirky bucket riff, 

13 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Who said I didn't know who wrote it and when? That's your assumption. All I said was it has a bit of NIN about it and pointed out a track I think it sounds similar to and you went fucking mental! :lol: Fucking calm down!

Get your ears checked and your eyes

6 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

You think CD is "nu metal" and you think Shackler's was a spin off from a song released AFTER shackler's was recorded. 

Your the one who's a fool.

'The hand...' is representative of how NIN sounds in general, regardless of the year it was released, NIN doesnt have a ChinDem kind of album with a Shackler's on it. 'The hand...' is consistent with the rest of NIN's material.

So if Shackler's was recorded in 2000 it is still outdated because NIN was making that music 10+ years before Axl. 

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

'The hand...' is representative of how NIN sounds in general, regardless of the year it was released, NIN doesnt have a ChinDem kind of album with a Shackler's on it. 'The hand...' is consistent with the rest of NIN's material.

So if Shackler's was recorded in 2000 it is still outdated because NIN was making that music 10+ years before Axl.

Exactly.