New Sean Beavan Interview Talking Chinese Democracy, Axl, GNR, NIN & More!

40 minutes ago, Draguns said:

There's no doubt that CD is an Axl solo effort. If it was a band, you would not be cutting and pasting different solos. Also Shackler's Revenge is definitely inspired by NIN. You can hear it in the song. I said this when CD came out: this would have been a good NIN song. Riad reminds me of nu-metal for the late 90s. 

Because music was edited in pro tools didnt make it a band effort?

And why do the writing credits exist in this record with multiple people credited? Those copyrights are just made up then???

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

What we hear is concrete, can be perceived objectively and can also be analyzed. We're not talking about something abstract as in "the way it makes me feel", but what it actually is: a certain note, or chord, or progression, pitch, timbre, tone, tempo, etc. It either is or isn't.
Now, the interpetation, the "mood", "vibe" or "feel" is completely subjective, and yeah, in that regard we can "hear things differently". But a C5 on a grand piano is a C5 on a grand piano, not an F#4 in a guitar with chorus and delay.

Exactly.

And that's what most people here aren't understanding. 

And at the end of the day now that Slash and Duff are back the band is STILL going to have one person that had the last say. So if your going to be unhappy with the past you will most definitely not like the present and what's to come in the future. The writing is on the wall Slash has played and will play the Chinese material and there's no doubt that when they do release something Slash will add his riffs and solos on top of pre written songs. Axl is not going to ditch all the work he's done, they will probably collaborate on what songs to use from that era.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RONIN said:

Axl was obviously inspired by NIN/Manson w/ OMG but I agree with whoever mentioned the CD songs sounding more Nu-Metal-ish. Particularly bands like Korn - Axl was a big fan of those guys - GnR even follows them on twitter. Stuff like Riad, Shacklers, CD and Better have a nu metal substratum. They may have been more conventionally "Korn" before evolving over the years as Axl added more layers and nu metal fell out of vogue. 

I'm not in position to analyse chords etc, but imo the nu metal element is more prominent on Better (maybe this is why I can't like it, although it's probably the most popular CD song, even among people who don't like CD/NuGnR), not so much on the other three songs.

I'm not very familiar with Buckethead's work but I checked a bit. I listened to the Shackler's instrumental and it has the vibe of what Buckethead was doing at the time, like @Order of Nine said, only Shackler sounds "rockier".

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Because music was edited in pro tools didnt make it a band effort?

And why do the writing credits exist in this record with multiple people credited? Those copyrights are just made up then???

Here's the issue that I see with you. I don't know you, but on this forum -particularly this topic- you don't want to listen to what people are saying to you.  You just want to go on with your belief, which is fine. However, you might  want to reconsider that, especially since  this is not affecting you on a personal level. I can completely understand if this was more personal. We are only discussing an album. That's it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RONIN said:

Did I miss this? I don't recall hearing this in the interview but if he said that...wow, interesting indeed. It's conceivable that Duff could have overlapped with Vrenna since Matt was fired in early '97 and Duff stayed on till August. 

He did but I dont recall when.  I thought it was towards the end, but havent found it.  I'll have to listen through it all again when I can!

Its something along the line of 'Vrenna was there with duff and... slash(?)...yeah I think slash was still there...' and he was saying it was before his time as producer.

Edit:  Anyone else remember this aside about Slash?  Anyone know when in interview?

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, soon said:

He did but I dont recall when.  I thought it was towards the end, but havent found it.  I'll have to listen through it all again when I can!

Its something along the line of 'Vrenna was there with duff and... slash(?)...yeah I think slash was still there...' and he was saying it was before his time as producer.

Edit:  Anyone else remember this aside about Slash?  Anyone know when in interview?

Yes, it's towards the end. 1:29:40 minute mark.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SlashisGOD said:

I'll agree that Korn isn't metal. That's about it though.

Slash and Duff are back and the partnership is the big 3 guys. Bucket, Finck, Tommy, Axl's gardener, were not a part of the partnership. Hence forth, a solo album.

If that held any water Axl would not have let anyone else write. And now the big three are back it's exactly the same only that most people's favorites are back.

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Here's the issue that I see with you. I don't know you, but on this forum -particularly this topic- you don't want to listen to what people are saying to you.  You just want to go on with your belief, which is fine. However, you might  want to reconsider that, especially since  this is not affecting you on a personal level. I can completely understand if this was more personal. We are only discussing an album. That's it. 

It's not a belief. You guys are choosing to ignore the facts.

Copyrights

Writing credits

Band member testimonies.

The fact that they recorded 30 songs in roughly 4 months shows a collaborative group effort that was fluent. You can't dispute the facts. 

The real root of the problem is most of you still and will not come to terms with the fact that this happened without slash and Duff. And now that Slash and Duff are back it's the same!! Axl calls the last shots. How long has that been going on for now, and how long have fans not come to terms with that fact? And it's perfectly NORMAL especially for a band of that magnitude. 

Would you like me to make a list of all the bands that have a leader?

Just now, default_ said:

yeah, nu guns was a band. now get out a little bit and go play with your friends. 

See your catching on.

I know it was a tough pill to swallow but it happened. And from all the material that Slash and Duff learned for the tour the crystal ball is looking like it will predict alot more of that material to surface from that era. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not in position to analyse chords etc, but imo the nu metal element is more prominent on Better (maybe this is why I can't like it, although it's probably the most popular CD song, even among people who don't like CD/NuGnR), not so much on the other three songs.

I'm not very familiar with Buckethead's work but I checked a bit. I listened to the Shackler's instrumental and it has the vibe of what Buckethead was doing at the time, like @Order of Nine said, only Shackler sounds "rockier".

Yeah, Shackler's sounds like Bucket monsters and robots era, and that album came out a year before he joined guns so it makes perfect sense.

Korn were demonstrably nu-metal. It is not as if this is even open for discussion. They were actually one of the progenitors of nu-metal.

Korn (stylized as KoЯn) is an American nu metal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korn

Nu metal became popular in the late 1990s with bands and artists such as Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Kid Rock all releasing albums that sold millions of copies. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal

If they are denying it now, it is because the genre ''nu-metal'' was discredited to such an extent by Limp Bizkit and other abominations.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Korn were demonstrably nu-metal. It is not as if this is even open for discussion. They were actually one of the progenitors of nu-metal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal

If they are denying it now, it is because the genre ''nu-metal'' was discredited to such an extent by Limp Bizkit and other abominations.

So were going to resort to second hand source information instead of going straight to the source again?

Why does mygnrforum consider wiki a first hand source of information??

So the singer/leader of Korn is telling you they aren't a metal band and why are you choosing to ignore it? Not to mention the legions of metal bands that would dispute this.

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

So were going to resort to second hand source information instead of going straight to the source again?

Why does mygnrforum consider wiki a first hand source of information??

So the singer/leader of Korn is telling you they aren't a metal band and why are you choosing to ignore it? Not to mention the legions of metal bands that would dispute this.

They are a nu-metal band. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

They are a nu-metal band. 

Ok. I guess your back to ignoring the multiple other influences they cite and the fact that they themselves and countless other real deal metal bands dispute this for decades. 

How about asking Johnathan Davis?

1 minute ago, Order of Nine said:

Ok. I guess your back to ignoring the multiple other influences they cite and the fact that they themselves and countless other real deal metal bands dispute this for decades. 

How about asking Johnathan Davis?

Of course Johnathan Davis will renounce his affiliation with nu-metal. The genre became a joke and is now dead.

Of course Johnathan Davis will renounce his affiliation with nu-metal. The genre became a joke and is now dead.

No. They rolled with that label to sell a few records. And the real deal metal bands have and will not ever accept them as a metal act. And the fact that there is a mix of multiple styles within thier music even if you like it or not is undeniable. They were never a metal band and never will be. 

And, can you explain when and how slap bass fits into the metal genre?

Guess whose picture tops the following history of numetal,

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/09/20-years-nu-metal-rap-rock-korn-kerrang

Featuring interviews with one James Munky Shaffer who seems accepting of his bands role in nu-metal,

I don’t even know who the fuck came up with the name “nu-metal”. It was wack! But hey, I’d rather be on the cutting edge of something that’s new and experimental – now they call us the nu-metal pioneers. I can live with that!

Korn were nu-metal.