Estranged - Which one?

4 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Some? Tee entire solo was unrecognizable... Luckily on my show there wasnt either...

Take a look what Slash does to Yesterdays and Used to Love Her solos... noodling 101%.

Let's hope he wont fuck up all songs like that.

Won't argue with Yesterdays and UTLH. Just never heard him noodling on Estranged before. 

I'm not worrying he will fuck up all the songs :lol:. Like 95% of what plays makes me happy.

16 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Boy will I ever get hate for this but I prefer the ‘11 version. Axl was so much better singing Estranged back then it’s not even funny. Also blasphemy of me but I never disliked Ron’s take on Estranged either. The synth additions on the ‘11 version also make it sound like an awesome orchestral badass version of one of my favorite ballads ever. Just my opinion, hope no one hates me over it lol

I absolutely agree with you! 

I always appreciated the way Bumble played Estranged.

Also, while there have been a handful of really good performances since 2011, this is one song that I could totally never hear again in concert and be fine with it.

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Original said:

Vegas reunion shows were the best in my book.  Simply because the gravity of the situation with Slash n Axl doing this song again. 

I really wanted Estranged to be a highlight at those shows but... it just wasn't.

It was great to finally hear Slash play that song, but the tempo, the other instruments, and the vocals just brought it down.

2011 versions > NITL versions, IMO. Although the 2nd Mexico City one was pretty good.

• Like 1

Estranged could be a huge highlight of the NITL Tour. It’s a great tune...a “deep cut” I believe. It should start with a whisper and end with a scream. But for whatever reason, Axl doesn’t sing it that way. Since 2011, the second half is a let down, after a huge brilliant build up. It’s a shame really.

• Like 1

It’s funny that Axl and Slash get equal amounts of hate for how they play this song these days. Usually it’s one sided haha 

that 2011 version in Chile is now my favorite. I’ve listened back a couple times and would be thrilled if it got played like that now. Too good of a song to be tormented by Mickey and Noodleman 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Some? Tee entire solo was unrecognizable... Luckily on my show there wasnt either...

Take a look what Slash does to Yesterdays and Used to Love Her solos... noodling 101%.

Let's hope he wont fuck up all songs like that.

Those are his songs so I have no issue with him mixing it up live. Just wish he would play Robin’s solos correctly 

Houston far and away based on those mentioned here, the tempo was way too fast on the early NITL shows (no secret there). I also really like the entire bands effort in most of the last batch of NITL arena shows from last year. They were spot on for Estranged in Tulsa and The Forum among others. 

I cant get into any of Bumblefoots versions, valiant effort but it’s not Estranged without Slash and Duff..Fortus on the other hand does a solid job on his rhythm work though. 

6 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Those are his songs so I have no issue with him mixing it up live. Just wish he would play Robin’s solos correctly 

To be honest, contrary to the popular opinion - I also think slash should play original Robin solos. This I love sucks.. But on better I think slash version is better... 

AS for every other Chinese song, slash sucks big time.. Especially catcher.. Unlistenable noodling. 

On 21/02/2018 at 1:06 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Also blasphemy of me but I never disliked Ron’s take on Estranged either. 

Anyone who argues it's 'blasphemy' not to dislike Ron playing Estranged is a moron. If you prefer Slash playing it, fair enough, but to argue Ron ever did a bad job with the song is just not true.

On 21/02/2018 at 6:50 PM, IncitingChaos said:

I'm sure I've shared this before but a concert I went to in 2013 had an odd ending on estranged. At 8:12 Axl just started using rasp out of nowhere and finished the song with it. He had a great voice that night but it was a nice little surprise for the 500 people there haha 

In 2013 I only went to the Abu Dhabi gig which wasn't great vocally, but from YouTube videos Lubbock and Kansas were weirdly good that year:

9 hours ago, Amir said:

In 2013 I only went to the Abu Dhabi gig which wasn't great vocally, but from YouTube videos Lubbock and Kansas were weirdly good that year:

Yea I think he was excited about the Governors ball that year. He turned it on vocally when they announced gnr as a headliner alongside Kanye who at the time was the biggest name. So for Axl to feel that validation of his nuguns lineup was important and gave him that motivation to kick it into gear. He also scheduled that last minute show in Brooklyn and came out sounding like 80’s Axl despite being sick with food poison

But yea also got the rasp on PC in lubbock 

I do recall nightrain being insanely good in 2013 at this time as that Kansas video shows 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Thanks 1