New Steven Adler Interview!

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well he did a bloody appalling job if he is selling his modern dvds with the same front cover as an album released in 1987 haha.

Ashba could slot right into one of Adler's bands, a perfect fit (He may just haha). 

Not denying that nostalgia isn't part of the appeal, many people buy tickets and albums to try and relive a period of time. 

You're right about Ashba,Gee- If 'Pyromantic' doesn't play out well he could join Adler's Appetite! 

Just now, Modano09 said:

It was still GNR for Axl. People left, new people came in, and with a whole new band who hadn't all played together, he felt like re-recording Appetite was a good place to start. Guys learn the material and get to bond during the recording process. It was a band building thing, not trying to re-live Appetite. The goal was for Axl's GNR to be a continuation of GNR, an active band that made music and played concerts. It didn't entirely work out that way but that's what Axl's intention was.

Alder's acting like he's Kramer giving Peterman reality tours, going out to show people what "real" GNR is. 

How about jamming on new material? Just an idea! 

Adler is showing them what 1/5th of the Appetite band is, i.e. the authentic drum sound,m which is no larger a representation of that band than what Axl possessed in the 00s. I'm not defending either; they are all equally guilty of peddling cheesy nostalgia. I just do not see the distinction between the two.

Adler is getting slated for exactly what Rose did during the 00s!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RazorGunner said:

He also said it was just for practice purposes in the 2008 chats. :facepalm:

Not according to Youth or Axl in other moments:

Youth:

"'When I walked into the studio, they were rehearsing the old songs to record for a greatest hits package,' says Youth. 'They were gonna do them exactly the same way. So my first project was to sort of dissuade Axl from doing that.'" (Spin, 07/99)

Axl:

"I have re-recorded 'Appetite' [with] Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar, [...] and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, [...] with the exception of two songs [Anything Goes and You're Crazy], because we replaced those with 'You Could Be Mine,' and 'Patience,' and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that." (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/18590-chinese-whispers-the-making-of-cd/

But more to the point, Axl released some of that project, therefore it wasn't only for rehearsal:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RazorGunner said:

:facepalm: Let's simply agree to disagree. 

1 minute ago, RazorGunner said:

Oh you require more information? 

My perspective is different, I don't see things the way you do, I'm not entertained by your quote fucking or your random gifs, so let's simply agree to disagree. 

:monkey:

Why not just say agree to disagree? you chose to use the facepalm emoji rendering your post as a pisstake. I simply replied using the same emoji.:monkey::facepalm:

• Like 1

I might be misremembering here, but wasn't there some talk from Zutaut or Niven that re-recording AFD was a ploy to cut out Slash and Duff from licensing opportunities? Like a re-recorded SCOM on Big Daddy would mean that Axl's nu-gnr would legally be entitled to the full share of licensing profits and not under the purview of the old partnership? That's a very Axl-thing to do especially during that period of time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Does that change anything? For someone to rehearse a new band (circa 1999) by re-recording an old album from 1987, made with a former band, suggests you are very much stuck in the past.

What is the difference in the following?

Rose hires cockrockers 

DJ-Ashba-dj-ashba-14936524-356-500.jpg

Adler hires cockrockers 

maxresdefault.jpg

Rose peddles his wares with retro (1987) artwork,

220px-Appetite_for_destruction_-_3d.jpg

Adler peddles his wares with retro (1987) artwork,

tour2018-adlersappetite.jpg

Again, what is the difference?

Well, let's start saying that I'm not the biggest fan of Appetite for Democracy, but there are several differences.

For one, Axl was not kicked ouf of the band on the 90's for being a drug addict and not being able to keep his shit togheter. Adler did.

So when Adler plays the nostalgia card it says something like this:

"Hey remember that band that kicked me out years ago? Well I still think I should be a part of it so I'm gonna be playing the AFD album like is 1987 all over again"

Nostalgia when you're not in the band (and especially when you were kicked out) is really lame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soon said:

Youth:

"'When I walked into the studio, they were rehearsing the old songs to record for a greatest hits package,' says Youth. 'They were gonna do them exactly the same way. So my first project was to sort of dissuade Axl from doing that.'" (Spin, 07/99)

Axl:

"I have re-recorded 'Appetite' [with] Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar, [...] and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, [...] with the exception of two songs [Anything Goes and You're Crazy], because we replaced those with 'You Could Be Mine,' and 'Patience,' and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that." (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/18590-chinese-whispers-the-making-of-cd/

But more to the point, Axl released some of that project, therefore it wasn't only for rehearsal:

It's half of 1 song on a soundtrack. 

I don't see Axl getting the new band to start by re-recording Appetite, which he said was because they had to rehearse it anyway, 20 years ago, is the same as Adler specifically going on tour to show people the "real" GNR sound, today. 

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I might be misremembering here, but wasn't there some talk from Zutaut or Niven that re-recording AFD was a ploy to cut out Slash and Duff from licensing opportunities? Like a re-recorded SCOM on Big Daddy would mean that Axl's nu-gnr would legally be entitled to the full share of licensing profits and not under the purview of the old partnership? That's a very Axl-thing to do especially during that period of time.

I can see that being the case when Axl would have been approached for the song for the soundtrack. Something like he had the re-recorded version sitting there, use that to prove a point and screw Slash, or whatever. Re-recording the whole thing specifically for that reason doesn't seem plausible though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

Youth:

Axl:

Q: - Will the rerecorded appetite ever see the light of day?

A: It’s really just adat and maybe but it was just for learning purposes, more like rehearsals

Axl chats 2008- from CD.com 

1 minute ago, soon said:

... So not just for rehearsal.

Or for rehearsal and then used when a soundtrack opportunity came up because it was recorded anyway. I mean, what's the point that's trying to be proved here? That Axl re-recording Appetite 11 years after it's release proves he's more hung up on the past than Alder touring on it 30 years after it's release?

Q: - Will the rerecorded appetite ever see the light of day?

A: It’s really just adat and maybe but it was just for learning purposes, more like rehearsals

Axl chats 2008- from CD.com 

Right, I pointed out how at other times Axl said differently.  The producer Youth said differently.  And some of it was released.  If its released, then it wasnt just for practice... because it was released.

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Why not just say agree to disagree? you chose to use the facepalm emoji rendering your post as a pisstake. I simply replied using the same emoji.:monkey::facepalm:

Let's stay on topic please- these back and forth pissing matches are a total waste of time and never end well. 

Just now, soon said:

Right, I pointed out how at other times Axl said differently.  The producer Youth said differently.  And some of it was released.  If its released, then it wasnt just for practice... because it was released.

Maybe that particular song was used for a movie by request- It doesn't mean that the rest wasn't for rehearsal. 

I'll take Axl's word over Youth's anyday regarding all things GNR. 

1 minute ago, soon said:

Because any demo that eventually gets released was intended to be released at some point the entire time.

Maybe that particular song was used for a movie by request- It doesn't mean that the rest wasn't for rehearsal. 

I'll take Axl's word over Youth's anyday regarding all things GNR. 

But what about Axls own words about the recording needing an update?

9 minutes ago, soon said:

But what about Axls own words about the recording needing an update?

He changed his mind- that's an option available to anyone. 

The Youth quote was from 99, the Axl quote I used was from 2008- things can change or be decided differently in NINE YEARS. 

Edited by RazorGunner

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It couldn't be the case, because Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven would still get publishing royalties as songwriters (as happens when any song is covered). Axl would just have full rights to licence the new recording for soundtracks etc. without the permission of Slash/Duff (but they would get sync royalties).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

It couldn't be the case, because Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven would still get publishing royalties as songwriters (as happens when any song is covered). Axl would just have full rights to licence the new recording for soundtracks etc. without the permission of Slash/Duff.

Who would get royalties from a re-recorded song? The original song writers and the new performers?