GNR Demo Tape Soundcloud

Good lord, man.  Just when I was about to say "yeah yeah, we get it, stop bragging" you go and share with everyone.

Very very cool....much appreciated!!  Holy shit....is this new, or just a very very clean copy of the demos we've had since the 90s?   I....I think it's NEW!  DAMN!

(Still jealous though....who wouldn't be?  You have more GNR stuff than God!)

• Like 1

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

WOW I am pretty sure that this version of "THINK ABOUT YOU" WAS NOT IN CIRCULATION BEFORE!

IS THAT CORRECT?

fuck yeah!

what a fantastic version!

WOW, the other ones i am pretty sure that I have listened before but never in THIS AMAZING QUALITY!

i dont remember listening to these in this fantastic quality

please enlight me, sorry if thats a stupid question, but is there a download link for the flac files?

thanks so much for sharing these, its really really apreciated!

:headbang:

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, troccoli said:

Hey folks.  As you know from my recent update I recently purchased (with the help of two friends) this 1st generation GNR demo tape written in Izzy's own hand:

Izzy GNR demo tape: http://www.troccolitm.com/TapeDemoIzzy.html

Thanks to those same two friends, the files have been converted to digital using the highest care and quality.  Here is a link to the tracks in stereo, 24/96 FLAC:

I just want to reiterate this: These songs are property of Guns N Roses.  No ownership by anyone else is implied nor should be inferred.  This is for the fans but if requested by the band these songs will be removed and taken down.  Of course the link will also be removed from this forum if the admins feel that way.

Please enjoy responsibly!

Great, man! Can you send me PM with a link to flac?

4 hours ago, troccoli said:

Hey folks.  As you know from my recent update I recently purchased (with the help of two friends) this 1st generation GNR demo tape written in Izzy's own hand:

Izzy GNR demo tape: http://www.troccolitm.com/TapeDemoIzzy.html

Thanks to those same two friends, the files have been converted to digital using the highest care and quality.  Here is a link to the tracks in stereo, 24/96 FLAC:

I just want to reiterate this: These songs are property of Guns N Roses.  No ownership by anyone else is implied nor should be inferred.  This is for the fans but if requested by the band these songs will be removed and taken down.  Of course the link will also be removed from this forum if the admins feel that way.

Please enjoy responsibly!

Amazing stuff...! Thanks for sharing this.

There it is boys and girls, GNR's complete first demo tape, recorded at Mystic Studio in Los Angeles in August 1985.  How's that for holy grails ???

'Don't Cry' was officially released as the b-side to the 'Don't Cry' single in '91.  Everything else is previously unreleased, especially in this quality.

Thank you so much for sharing !!!  Thanks you for making the files lossless !!!

Hurry up, before they get taken down...

... or wait until they get bootlegged in Japan :lol:

Edited by Nikki_Sixx
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

Thanks troccil :thumbsup:

I have them on my channel but not as good quality.

This is obviously, aside from being horrendously sped up, not the same version.  There's no backing vocals on yours, it's a different vocal take, there's no acoustic guitar ...

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! This is really great stuff!

I was always hoping the complete first demo tape would show up some day and thought we had to wait until someone decided on releasing a AFD Deluxe Edition - containing that first tape in the same quality as the 1991 Don't Cry demo version....

(Soundcloud plays 128kb/s mp3 only, doesn't it? Is there any way to increase the quality?)

1 hour ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

This is obviously, aside from being horrendously sped up, not the same version.  There's no backing vocals on yours, it's a different vocal take, there's no acoustic guitar ...

Yeah I hadn't listen to it yet

3 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Yeah I hadn't listen to it yet

Seems to be from the same session though, just different take and mix.  Where does yours come from ?  If you have it in lossless form, I can speed-correct it for you, it'll give us an additional/alternate version of this demo.

22 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Seems to be from the same session though, just different take and mix.  Where does yours come from ?  If you have it in lossless form, I can speed-correct it for you, it'll give us an additional/alternate version of this demo.

I believe that one is from the June 1986 Sound City session (produced by Manny Charlton) since it's much closer to the version released on AFD

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I always found the demos confusing (back in the day when I was into these things). They seemed to have recorded about four different lots of demos featuring the same bunch of songs. 

Speaking as someone who used to be an aspiring musician, that's normal. When you're first starting out, you tend to obsess on making the demos sound as good as possible and keep telling yourself "no, I can do it better. Im gonna do another take of that song." I think I had like 20 or 30 demos of one of my songs that I eventually realized was a shit song to begin with lol. You eventually get to a point where you realize that the demos don't need to be all that great. After all, they're demos for a reason. Wouldnt be surprised if GN'R went through a similar phase when they were first starting out.

on topic: these recordings are absolutely killer! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I always found the demos confusing (back in the day when I was into these things). They seemed to have recorded about four different lots of demos featuring the same bunch of songs. 

The other day I heard someone saying, as an advice to aspiring musician: " tape, tape, tape yourself as much as you can. The more you do it, the better you get to know yourself as an artist".

---

Thank you @troccoli for sharing this material with us! It's amazing. I had never heard it before, aside from the Don't Cry demo that was broadly commercialized. This is truly a gem and fantastic quality. I can't believe it!

Very cool - thanks for sharing!

Does any one happen to know what amp Izzy is using here?  Crate?

Izzys tone, especially pre-UYI remains confounding to me.  To my ears its a very 'normal' rock guitar tone.  A timeless tone that would work in almost any rock genre.  But at the same time theres something about it that is singularly Izzy's. Here especially it is very much a tone that any kid with a pawn shop amp might dial up in their bedroom, but that wouldn't often make it on to a final studio album with out some refinement.  And there certainly is refinement from whats here to early studio albums/EPs but its not a change in type, to my ears.  I know he was bullheaded in the studio with Clink about using his Crate amps.  And most Crate amps arent produced to be featured on multi platinum albums.  But I think Izzy had quickly found a perfect tone for him and Im thankful he stuck to his guns.  Its refined in its way; boutique-cheap.

The cheap tone and his playing perfectly compliment one another, to my ears.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1