GNR Demo Tape Soundcloud

I was not at the Vegas Hotel Room Incident, but I've heard firsthand accounts that all that was played was the "remix" album we've all heard snippets from.  So really the only "new" Axl vocals played in that room were the re-recorded This I Love, and Silkworms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I was told.

Wonderful upload, thanks for sharing! I love listening to their demos!

I'm curious do you think the original lyrics for Anything Goes are posted somewhere? Or have they been swept away with the sands of time? I can barely understand Axl on a good day so honestly can't make any of them out haha. I always thought it was a great song but the lyrics were just so bland, so I wonder why the change?

Also I can't believe they cut the jingle bells this could have been the Christmas anthem we needed! :lol:

• Like 1

On 28-2-2018 at 6:10 PM, troccoli said:

How do you figure it's fair game?  I posted it on Soundcloud for a reason, read the 3rd post above.  Don't get me wrong, on a personal level I don't care and have nothing against you or Frans.  And I have no idea if GNR will care.  But if they do, they might not care as long as it's not downloadable.  Of course there are ways of getting around it, but just because you can doesn't mean that you should.  On the flip side if they do care and make it all get taken down, or even if someone just finds a runaround like Frans did and is able to download (in original quality) well then you can understand if no one does anything like this in the future when they come across gems like this.  For example I was privy to listen to unreleased GNR tracks in someone's hotel room during the last residency.  We also got to see pro shot footage from Puerto Rico (2009 or 2010) and pro shot footage of a soundcheck by the band with either Tommy or Bumble singing mot of the songs.  It was all with the understanding that no was recording it to be released later.  Hopefully you see what I am saying here. 

Also when tweaked are you "improving" it really?  The raw sound is about the experience of it.  You can argue that cds improved the sound of vinyl (I don't mean the technical side of things, but I ma talking about the hiss, etc., those cool weird little sounds that happen when you play vinyl), but again it makes the experience different (keep in mind this comment is coming from someone that was raised on cds, I have never even owned a record player).  Live Era is another example where the audio was tweaked, and many have a problem with it.  Personally I don't but I can see their side.  There was a reason I had a professional transfer this at the highest quality possible.  We could have tweaked it as well but that betrays the rawness of it IMO.

Seems i totally missed this discussion, yes i've put them on Youtube mainly because there's a much bigger audience that can hear this great release and there's more people to reach out to than on soundcloud and the more people are reached the less will buy that stuff offa ebay when some bootleg company will press it to silver or vinyl. I was only able to rip it from SC in mp3 128kbps ,i also told this to your friend who did the original transfer. I still really wonder if u could rip it as true FLAC, ofcourse i gave you and your 2 friends credits for it in the YT video and i'm not monetizing any of my video's on my channel. I agree that it's best to keep the original files in their original shape specially when sharing and if u remaster or retrack, do it for private use only. Since this wasnt really shared and only rippable in LQ (for most people) i did tweak it but mainly volume settings because when upped to my channel YT will rape the bitrate and volume once more. Besides there wasnt much to tweak anyways because even in 128 mp3 they sound killer and so i guess the FLACS still stay rare and not heavily circulating

• Like 2

On 14/03/2018 at 9:58 PM, Juniperose said:

Wonderful upload, thanks for sharing! I love listening to their demos!

I'm curious do you think the original lyrics for Anything Goes are posted somewhere? Or have they been swept away with the sands of time? I can barely understand Axl on a good day so honestly can't make any of them out haha. I always thought it was a great song but the lyrics were just so bland, so I wonder why the change?

Also I can't believe they cut the jingle bells this could have been the Christmas anthem we needed! :lol:

Hi, these lyrics to Anything Goes are very similar to the earlier Hollywood Rose earlier version of the song (when it was called "My Way Your Way")

which if you ask me is even better than this version!

here = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4qcuyRdhI

===

found these lyrics to the Hollywood Rose version online

(not sure if all the words are right)

they sound very similar to this early GNR version

Not my time on the bottom line
What story there is to tell
Reach out to someone, killed by another
Cold nightmare and hell
Rascals known like a social disease
Really knows she can do what you please
I can't find my real debris
But I've gotta work it out

There's a woman in town
She's been around
She seems to be unreal
Knows the name, knows the game
Knows how to make you feel
Moves like a trap that's on the ground
Bludgeoned with the pain whether you scream or howl
I just gotta work it out

My way, your way
Anything goes tonight
My way, your way
Anything goes tonight
My way, your way
Anything goes tonight
My way, your way
Anything goes

You want yours
You know I want mine
Work it out or draw the line
Got no time to take it to the case
We don't care, our candy's late
You call your shots and I'll call mine

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FRANSAD said:

Seems i totally missed this discussion, yes i've put them on Youtube mainly because there's a much bigger audience that can hear this great release and there's more people to reach out to than on soundcloud and the more people are reached the less will buy that stuff offa ebay when some bootleg company will press it to silver or vinyl. I was only able to rip it from SC in mp3 128kbps ,i also told this to your friend who did the original transfer. I still really wonder if u could rip it as true FLAC, ofcourse i gave you and your 2 friends credits for it in the YT video and i'm not monetizing any of my video's on my channel. I agree that it's best to keep the original files in their original shape specially when sharing and if u remaster or retrack, do it for private use only. Since this wasnt really shared and only rippable in LQ (for most people) i did tweak it but mainly volume settings because when upped to my channel YT will rape the bitrate and volume once more. Besides there wasnt much to tweak anyways because even in 128 mp3 they sound killer and so i guess the FLACS still stay rare and not heavily circulating

No worries at all man, thanks for the reply.  I am going to try to get an answer if they care about us sharing the full 24/96 FLAC.  If they don't we will put it on torrent sites and all that and directly PM whoever wants them.  Fingers crossed!  By the way, I like your YouTube channel, so much great stuff!

Edited by troccoli
addition
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 1:09 AM, troccoli said:

Hey folks.  As you know from my recent update I recently purchased (with the help of two friends) this 1st generation GNR demo tape written in Izzy's own hand:

Izzy GNR demo tape: http://www.troccolitm.com/TapeDemoIzzy.html

Thanks to those same two friends, the files have been converted to digital using the highest care and quality.  Here is a link to the tracks in stereo, 24/96 FLAC:

I just want to reiterate this: These songs are property of Guns N Roses.  No ownership by anyone else is implied nor should be inferred.  This is for the fans but if requested by the band these songs will be removed and taken down.  Of course the link will also be removed from this forum if the admins feel that way.

Please enjoy responsibly!

Since people have taken your audio downloaded it and posted on youtube. Can you share the FLAC files now?  Maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 3:37 PM, 31illusions said:

Since people have taken your audio downloaded it and posted on youtube. Can you share the FLAC files now?  Maybe?

Negative.  And those soundcloud links and youtube links have been taken down.  All at he request of the band.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:52 AM, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Any chance of mp3 link please?

See response above please.

On 2018-04-13 at 2:43 AM, 31illusions said:

^ Oh I didn't know. That's crazy considering these are just 30 year old demos, but Thank you for the original post.

One can always hope that it's because the want to include them on a box set of some sort :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

damn...I missed this topic completely! which session are we talking about here (month, year)? is this the Mystic sound demos, that were already circulating on youtube (the cassette with the Vicky Hamilton number on it)?

4 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

No idea what session this was but it was previously unheard and uncirculated and was sourced directly from a cassette hand labeled by Izzy in the mid 80s.

For the record, this 5-track demo tape has been circulating since '89/'90, in full.  These recordings have been released and re-released on several bootlegs.

What Trocolli surfaced however, was a transfer off a first gen copy of a genuine demo from back in the day, which supersedes any of the previously available versions.  It sounds stellar.

Here's the session info :

Mystic Sound Studio, 6277 Selma Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028

August 1985

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. Anything Goes

3. Don't Cry

4. Back Off Bitch

5. Think About You

First GNR studio recordings EVER.  Financed by Raz Cue.  'Heartbreak Hotel' was also recorded, but was not on any demo tapes, and was never bootlegged.

By the way, the version of 'Don't Cry' from this session was officially released in '91 on the 'Don't Cry' single.

There's 3 studio demos of 'Don't Cry': Mystic August '85 (see above), Sound City June '86 and Pasha August '86.

• Like 2

I thought the Mystic Studio demos were financed by the band and/or Vicky Hamilton, not by Raz Cue! otherwise, why was her name written on the cassette tape? and then it seemed Raz Cue's involvement with the band pretty much stopped when Slash and Steven entered the picture in mid/late may 1985, and the band went to the Hell Tour....am i wrong?

I thought the cassette tape with the Izzy Stranded writings on was the march 85 rehearsals/demo tape (with Rob and Tracy), recorded around or on the same day as the first interview they did and that was released by raz recently! Maybe I'm wrong though but I just would like to put every piece of the puzzle together in the right place about their early days!

3 minutes ago, nikki9 said:

I thought the cassette tape with the Izzy Stranded writings on was the march 85 rehearsals/demo tape (with Rob and Tracy), recorded around or on the same day as the first interview they did and that was released by raz recently! Maybe I'm wrong though but I just would like to put every piece of the puzzle together in the right place about their early days!

Definitely not.  The recording info in my previous post is 100% correct.

The exact details about the financement of the Mystic session however are unknown, it is said to have been financed by Raz Cue.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 1:46 PM, cqleonardo said:

whats the matter that the stuff got posted on youtube? you guys really think that Axl is gonna be bored by some old crappy 35 years old demo on youtube? come on

The label sure has a problem since they were behind the takedowns

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is able to find out where and how I can listen to this now that it's been taken down, I would really appreciate it! I have always wanted to hear these in high quality... Hearing about the lengths you went to in order to produce this in such a high quality experience is something remarkable. Thank you so much!! Can anyone help out? :(