Partial IZZY STRADLIN 1992 INTERVIEW SURFACES on youtube. Talks GNR, writing for Ju Ju Hounds album, how he likes recording in studio

I may be mistaken but I think this interview is UNCIRCULATED!

EDIT: PROBABLY HAS BEEN IN CIRCULATION BEFORE!

:headbang:

According to the guy who posted it, "This is the salvaged remainder of an interview done with Izzy Stradlin by Osamu Masui on . 15, 1992"

Nothing really new but cool to listen to anyway

I transcribed most of it. Did in a bit of a hurry. If someone notices any mistake while listening to it please let me know and I will gladly correct it!

===

ABOUT THE SONG "TRAIN TRACKS", IS IT ABOUT LEAVING GN'R?

"That song is about Indiana and smoking pot, me and all my friends, we used to hang out by the train tracks (...) its all about that time period back then, its one of these "reflection" songs, its not really [about leaving GN'R]"

(talks about staying in Geffen, lawyers)

ABOUT RECORDING IN STUDIO AND RECORDING AN ALBUM SO "FAST" AFTER LEAVING GN'R

"Yeah that's how I've always preferred to do it. Yeah definitely... Because it is really expensive when you are in the studio. It seems always that the best stuff is the stuff that's... you don't... pick apart, you don't analyse, you just record it, you know? Get the best out three, say three or four tracks of the same song... and move right on... and again, it's expensive and... you don't need to take a year, you know, to do a record... You can. But it's not necessary.

Interviewer: NO CUTTING AND PASTING (...)

Izzy: Yeah, exactly.

IN THE PROCESS OF WRITING THE MUSIC FOR THE JU JU HOUNDS DID HE WORRY ABOUT "APPEALING TO" GN'R FANS?

No, no. Just writing, period. That's all I was thinking about. I didn't think about who would like it, who would it appeal to. You hope someone will like it.

ABOUT WRITING THE JU JU HOUNDS ALBUM

"It was a case of... There I was sitting in Indiana (...) with no plans at all, no plans to do anything. It was like "Well I am out of Guns n Roses. What am I gonna do?" I wrote 12 songs, took 'em with me to LA, we ended up writing another 6, 8 songs. We tracked 22, 23 songs for this album. So the whole time we worked on it, all I really focused was writing more lyrics for this and that, more songs, guitar riffs... that sort of thing, the actual recording of it all"

LOOKING BACK AT GN'R

"It... A lot of it is a big blur. A lot of it. Well... I used a lot of drugs, during a lot of those years, so some of it is kinda blurry. The initial band, I remember being... (pauses) everybody was ah... it was tight, it was an unit. Some of that "one for all and all for one" sort of thing... To sum up the whole thing is difficult. It turned into a monster, basically, that was just uncontrollable".

[INTERVIEWER: When you said (...) you were losing control, about your life, what you wanted to do...]

Izzy: "Everything. Yeah, personal life... and musically too. It became quite a... that last record, the "Illusions" record, it was just... just so... so many songs... I can probably remember 10 of them that are on there. There was a lot of music... and it didn't... it was no cohesive, sort of... nothing really held it together."

"I just know it got to the point where it wasn't... it didn't feel like a band, it didn't feel... didn't feel right to me anymore"

ABOUT KEEPING QUIET ON THE PRESS ON THE LAST YEAR

"The press side it was just the case of... I never knew what I was doing from day to day. Ah... The last year I never knew if we were gonna have a record come out, so I figured maybe I just better lay low. I don't wanna say we have a record coming out in November if i dont know. It was a case of that. You know? Cause i didnt wanna put my foot in my mouth"

Edited by ludurigan
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for posting and transcribing. I heard it before, I remember Izzy saying that he would have commented on each song if the record label had asked him. Can’t find it anymore, I think it got posted in the Izzy thread.

Here is another interview with the same interviewer but a different date is given.  Didn’t have the time to compare whether yours is in there or extra.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Thanks for posting and transcribing. I heard it before, I remember Izzy saying that he would have commented on each song if the record label had asked him. Can’t find it anymore, I think it got posted in the Izzy thread.

Here is another interview with the same interviewer but a different date is given.  Didn’t have the time to compare whether yours is in there or extra.

wow that interview is good!

didnt find the first one in there

:headbang: