Izzy walked out on NITL in 2016 after soundcheck

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

image.thumb.jpeg.740ad9be6540ed459df01f5

What a setlist that would be but I don’t believe cause 1 no Chinese songs in it and 2 paradise city is not the closer.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

image.thumb.jpeg.740ad9be6540ed459df01f5

What a setlist that would be but I don’t believe it cause 1 no Chinese songs in it and 2 paradise city is not the closer.

Edited by Bailey96

Another case of when you haven't seen him in a while and only for a minute, it only turns out to be Richard when he finally gets up on stage and you get a good look?  Been more fans mistake those two.  And at least one fan thought he was running from King Kong.  Why does everybody look like Richard?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Izzy likely hung up, he didn’t walk out. He was offered a percentage but definitely not a respectable percentage and said no way. 

Izzy is the only person Axl will not speak badly of no matter how much they disagree. I think Axl would have genuinely liked to have had Izzy around on tour, but somewhere on the workload and payload Izzy would receive is where things went south. Plus given that Axl would have kept Fortus on stage with Izzy made things complicated. 

Somewhere between Duff going to the studio with Izzy and Izzy getting a twitter account is where things went wrong. Izzy used twitter to voice his displeasure in his own way on the situation  and even let us know he wouldn’t be in Vegas. 

So we know based on Izzy’s actions that money was a factor and 100% sure he was in the original plans for the reunion. 

And it adds to the list of odd things that happened leading to the reunion

- Slash pulling a last minute move to secure more money for the tour

- Axl’s canceled Kimmel performance in which he was going to announce the reunion according to Howard Stern

- Izzy joining twitter with odd messages 

- Chris Pittman kicked out.

- Adler hurts his back at rehearsals. 

- Ashba says he was asked to stay 

So it begs the question...how different was the reunion when we saw it unleashed in April of 16 compared to the original concept of the reunion drawn up in 2015? 

Great analysis.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

He has friends in the current camp. 

Would that be Slash then?

It’s a shame he could not tell what Izzy was pissed about. Is money Izzy’s only problem, was he really upset with Steven? Questions not necessarily only directed at you, Gambit. ;)

I’m really fed up with all those no info-info of this band. It just opens up new speculations, raises false hopes, disappoints unnecessarily (maybe)... *sigh*

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Would that be Slash then?

It’s a shame he could not tell what Izzy was pissed about. Is money Izzy’s only problem, was he really upset with Steven? Questions not necessarily only directed at you, Gambit. ;)

I’m really fed up with all those no info-info of this band. It just opens up new speculations, raises false hopes, disappoints unnecessarily (maybe)... *sigh*

I couldn’t reveal that. But I understand the no-info frustration, we all do in here I’m sure haha. I’m surprised he shared publicly what he did, I gave him the option not to. 

fyi Alan just emailed me saying the bit about Axl’s astrology was more interesting 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bailey96 said:

What a setlist that would be but I don’t believe cause 1 no Chinese songs in it and 2 paradise city is not the closer.

What a setlist that would be but I don’t believe it cause 1 no Chinese songs in it and 2 paradise city is not the closer.

i know right? only addition to what was played so far - PTU.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: what if Izzy just wanted to participate as a guest, for a few songs per show? Wouldn’t it be kind of unfair if he required the same money as the others, who have been rehearsing, preparing for the tour, and touring all year around? 
Or do you think Izzy would have wanted to do the whole thing? Do you think he would want to – or be able to, in certain parts – play Chinese Democracy songs? And would they fire Richard then? Or would it be a 3-guitar circus again? Would they alternate, rendering it a circus as well? 
I just somehow don’t see Izzy wanting to 100% collaborate on the whole tour thing, that’s all. 
As for Steven, the situation would be similar. As he said himself, he would only do certain songs, but that would mean another circus, with musicians standing in the backstage and waiting their turn. You can do this occasionally but not at every show, that’s nonsense. 
I’m definitely glad for what we have now. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, janrichmond said:

What about during the Illusions tour? Nearly every DTJ was preceded by Axl ranting about Izzy!

Not really, during some later shows during the Skin & Bones Tour and a handfull of late '91 early '92 he ranted about Izzy but it was far from nearly every DTJ :)

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

What is that from?

I may be remembering it wrong but if I recall correctly it's from the 2016 VIP book!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: what if Izzy just wanted to participate as a guest, for a few songs per show? Wouldn’t it be kind of unfair if he required the same money as the others, who have been rehearsing, preparing for the tour, and touring all year around? 
Or do you think Izzy would have wanted to do the whole thing? Do you think he would want to – or be able to, in certain parts – play Chinese Democracy songs? And would they fire Richard then? Or would it be a 3-guitar circus again? Would they alternate, rendering it a circus as well? 
I just somehow don’t see Izzy wanting to 100% collaborate on the whole tour thing, that’s all. 
As for Steven, the situation would be similar. As he said himself, he would only do certain songs, but that would mean another circus, with musicians standing in the backstage and waiting their turn. You can do this occasionally but not at every show, that’s nonsense. 
I’m definitely glad for what we have now. 

It definitely would have been strange to have the Rhythm guitarist and drummer swapping out for certain songs.  Has any band done that on a tour except for guest appearance type stuff?

I guess Fortus could have just stayed on stage and played air guitar during Izzy's songs.

What would make/have made more sense would be to do smaller venue, complete AFD shows with Izzy and Steven.  Just play AFD+Civil War.  Do it in under 5000 seat venues and play the NITL show in a larger venue in the same city.  Charge a premium for the AFD shows.  The general public can go to the NITL show and the diehards can go to both (or just AFD).

Somebody needs to take the best audio we have of Steven's My Michelle and OTGM from NITL guest appearances and set up an A/B comparison with Frank's versions.  Break it up into segments and don't reveal whose part is A and B but randomly switch the order.  I'd be curious how many people can really tell who is playing without seeing the video.

10 hours ago, Bailey96 said:

I think he didn't put them in the correct order. It was like "What should we play...Nightrain opener would be good, Jungle and Easy...oh yeah and we need Paradise too..."

42 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

It definitely would have been strange to have the Rhythm guitarist and drummer swapping out for certain songs.  Has any band done that on a tour except for guest appearance type stuff?

I guess Fortus could have just stayed on stage and played air guitar during Izzy's songs.

What would make/have made more sense would be to do smaller venue, complete AFD shows with Izzy and Steven.  Just play AFD+Civil War.  Do it in under 5000 seat venues and play the NITL show in a larger venue in the same city.  Charge a premium for the AFD shows.  The general public can go to the NITL show and the diehards can go to both (or just AFD).

Somebody needs to take the best audio we have of Steven's My Michelle and OTGM from NITL guest appearances and set up an A/B comparison with Frank's versions.  Break it up into segments and don't reveal whose part is A and B but randomly switch the order.  I'd be curious how many people can really tell who is playing without seeing the video.

I’m not sure how that would make 4tus and Frank feel, but actually this is not a bad idea at all. It would solve a lot of stuff. 

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

It definitely would have been strange to have the Rhythm guitarist swapping out for certain songs.

I don't see why Fortus would have to go off stage; they had a 3-guitar lineup from 2001-14, no reason Fortus couldn't share a stage with Slash + Izzy. I mean, he didn't sit out when Izzy guested before the reunion and they did songs like 14 Years.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Sanomatovic said:

I'd like to bring up to the discussion that some people are saying that Izzy walked out because of a disagreement with Steve, but as we remember Steve left saying he'll only play with GNR again if Izzy is also there.

It's either Izzy and Steve went a little crazy over the years or it is, in fact, a money problem.

No not exactly.  Steve did not leave.  He got turned down to play both nights in Argentina when he was there and after that his involvement ended. We do not know it he ended or the band did.  Then, a bit later when his moms book came is when he claimed during interviews he would never play with GnR again without Izzy.

• Like 1

My opinion based on the bits of public info and tweets:

Izzy was asked to participate in a full-blown GNR reunion. 

Once the business dealings got serious, he found himself stuck in the middle with Steven instead of being on equal terms with Slash and Duff.

He got fucked over in the proposed loot split.

He walked and took the long way home.

The tour kicked off and Izzy was invited to "special guest" along with Steven to keep the die-hard fans happy and to keep the ticket sales flowing.

Izzy got fucked over again during a sound check by a no-show Axl, his old buddy Duff, and puppy dog Steven who was willing to work for peanuts.

The Three-Headed monster saw their bank account balances balloon bigger than any other phase of their lifetimes and came to the greedy conclusion that Izzy wasn't necessary.

Money is the root of all evil.

Izzy got fucked over by an ego-maniacal, power-mad, tortured-genius and his two newly ultra-rich lackey henchman. 

End of story.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

My opinion based on the bits of public info and tweets:

Izzy was asked to participate in a full-blown GNR reunion. 

Once the business dealings got serious, he found himself stuck in the middle with Steven instead of being on equal terms with Slash and Duff.

He got fucked over in the proposed loot split.

He walked and took the long way home.

The tour kicked off and Izzy was invited to "special guest" along with Steven to keep the die-hard fans happy and to keep the ticket sales flowing.

Izzy got fucked over again during a sound check by a no-show Axl, his old buddy Duff, and puppy dog Steven who was willing to work for peanuts.

The Three-Headed monster saw their bank account balances balloon bigger than any other phase of their lifetimes and came to the greedy conclusion that Izzy wasn't necessary.

Money is the root of all evil.

Izzy got fucked over by an ego-maniacal, power-mad, tortured-genius and his two newly ultra-rich lackey henchman. 

End of story.

Angry much? Your first assessment is incorrect, Izzy was never asked to participate in full blown reunion. From what we “know” he was at that one sound check but don’t know exactly why he left. There is no “end of story” because none of us really know unless your name rhymes with Smaxl Smose. 

• Like 3

I like your podcast but if I may be constructive, I wish you would follow up more with Alan in this interview.  "Izzy is angry" ok got it.  You never ask why is Izzy angry?  What do you think happned etc.  Listen to how Stern interviews musicians, celebs etc to see what I mean regarding follow up.  I know you want to be delicate but how often do you get info like this out of a guest?  Otherwise I appreciate the podcast and think its good.  

• Like 1