Guns N' Roses first ever radio interview

12 minutes ago, zombux said:

so pardon my ignorance, does this come from Reckless Road? I still have to get my hands on the digital version

No, it's from Raz Cue (manager of L.A. Guns) who has written a book. He talks about it on the video and on his website.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fascinating.

26th March is Duff's first gig (Ole Beich is on flyer). There is no evidence of any shows before this so Ole may not have played a GN'R show!

He played two or three rehearsals with them before he left. Duff joined quickly after that.

• Like 1

According to Raz Cue's book, Ole Beich was sacked before the gig (because he was preoccupied with something else and didn't go to the rehearsals) and was replaced by Duff. I think that makes Duff the original bass player (going by "original Vs classic lineup").

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

So Duff played with Tracii and Rob Gardner? Was the next show after that already with Slash and Steven?

The first touring line-up (Axl, Tracii, Izzy, Duff, Rob) played six shows in March and April. There wasn't another show unitl June.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holy shit @Gambit83

I was super excited to hear an interview from '85, and then I heard that it included Rob and Tracii and got even more excited, and to top it off we actually get to hear the pre-appetite line-up of GN'R play together under the Guns N' Roses name!

This is, in my opinion, the most exciting thing that has happened in the GN'R world since the Troubadour show 2 years ago... It's, in my opinion, way more interesting and exiting than the Ritz '87 pro-shot that was released last year, and I fucking love that Ritz pro-shot!

Thank you and thanks a ton to Raz for releasing this amazing tape! :headbang:

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

To me hearing that Don't Cry was great and historically awesome, however man that guitar solo... thank god Slash found his way into GNR!  

That song was barely a month old. How can you judge the guitar solo at this stage?

Edited by Sosso

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

That song was barely a month old. How can you judge the guitar solo at this stage?

Based on a guitar players natural phrasing and how they handle themselves within the context of the song.  You don't need many stages to know that going Yngwie Malmsteen on Don't Cry isn't the best idea

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

axl still thought he was in LA Guns lol. Introduced himself as "Axl from LA Guns." Izzy tried to correct him but Axl didn't hear it. Compare that to the Axl from the 2008 forum chats who, when asked why he kept the GNR name, said "because GnR is who I am." If only this 1985 Axl knew how much the name "guns n' roses" was gonna take over his entire life...

funny to think that besides his own bands (the original AXL in Lafayette, newer AXL in LA, Rose/Hollywood Rose and of course GNR), the only bands he joined as a member were Rapidfire in 1983, LA Guns in 1985 and AC/DC in 2016. bizzarre

• Like 2