Guns N' Roses first ever radio interview

1 hour ago, purplestargirl said:

So that's Izzy doing all the talking? He sounds a bit different than other interviews where I've heard him speak.

Yes, it’s Izzy. He sounds much younger and his voice is less hoarse. They were all only 22/23 then :) 

52 minutes ago, purplestargirl said:

I personally like Izzy's softer, hoarser voice. :shrugs: 

Of course! :P Also I was wondering wether the original tape was a little worn. His voice sounds sooooo slow and low...?

Edited by Tori72

3 hours ago, zombux said:

funny to think that besides his own bands (the original AXL in Lafayette, newer AXL in LA, Rose/Hollywood Rose and of course GNR), the only bands he joined as a member were Rapidfire in 1983, LA Guns in 1985 and AC/DC in 2016. bizzarre

I don't think that this was a mistake. L.A. Guns was a bigger name than GN'R in April 1985. He seemed to look for some attention from L.A. Guns fans

Edited by Sosso

11 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

axl still thought he was in LA Guns lol. Introduced himself as "Axl from LA Guns." Izzy tried to correct him but Axl didn't hear it. Compare that to the Axl from the 2008 forum chats who, when asked why he kept the GNR name, said "because GnR is who I am." If only this 1985 Axl knew how much the name "guns n' roses" was gonna take over his entire life...

Also it sounds like Izzy called himself "stranded" instead of "Stradlin."

Before that Axl said "make sure you pick up the right band, the right flyer" or something like that and Izzy said "yeah, it says L.A. Guns, it's gonna change soon".

Interviewer: "Who is this person?" (apparently Axl had stormed in) :lol:

It seems they were a little high, Axl mostly.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I don't think that this was a mistake. L.A. Guns was a bigger name than GN'R in April 1985. He seemed to look for some attention from L.A. Guns fans

of course, LA Guns were somewhat bigger name than HR and GNR was just brand new

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I get a sense that ''Guns N' Roses'' was almost just a name change for the band LA Guns. 

The creation of bands like that is always very fluid, fans get attached to this shit a lot more than musicians, in the old days in London, like 60s, everyone knew each other and if you read into the shit, any number of people could've ended up in any number of combinations of bands at any time, its a lot of pot luck going on, same with the punk movement, its especially more of a thing when you have these localised scenes cuz all the musicians know each other. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

You can tell the interviewer thought Axl was kind of a weirdo. Imagine walking into that room and saying to her "that guy is gonna be the singer of ACDC in the year 2016."

Axl is a kind of weirdo today, isn't he?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rickodez said:

Talking about rarities, recently i saw some footage of Axl's rant at the LA street scene festival on instagram, looks like its part of some recent doc, someone saw that too?Video?Doc? Cant find the video anywhere.

It was on the BBC documentary of last year. It's from Marc Canter's archives.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, rocknroll41 said:

its was chilling when they did La Grange in the middle of Anything Goes and Axl goes "new guy... Brand new... Duff..." Speaking of duff, did he not use his last name at this point? They never say it. Also it sounds like Izzy called himself "stranded" instead of "Stradlin."

2 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Interesting how many iterations of Anything Goes there were, when many people says it's the weakest song on AFD.

Weird how Tracii plays lead on Don't Cry but Izzy wrote the whole thing. Now, we've all learned Izzy was once called Izzy Stranded. lol

You guys need to read my update post closer, lol.  I was wondering why no one mentioned it, thought for a moment that I was the only one that didn't know he called himself that.  Here it is hand written by Izzy himself on a GNR demo tape:

http://www.troccolitm.com/TapeDemoIzzy.html

And here it is typed out in their first newsletter:

http://www.troccolitm.com/1stNews.html

Note that Steven is also referred to as Bam-Bam.  You can also see that here on this early fan club info sheet:

http://www.troccolitm.com/EarlyFanClubSheet.html

23 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I like the Nightrain flyer at 7:35. That has to be before they wrote the song 

Very cool, right?  That is their 5th, and second to last, newsletter.  I posted the link to the first one above.  Here are the others:

2nd newsletter: http://www.troccolitm.com/2ndNews.html

3rd newsletter: http://www.troccolitm.com/3rdNews.html

4th newsletter: http://www.troccolitm.com/4thNews.html

6th (and last) newsletter: http://www.troccolitm.com/6thNews.html

• Like 1

TRACII GUNS: Izzy was a drummer in a band called the Babysitters. He wore a dress, and I think some-body beat his ass, so he joined this band called Shire, which was a Scorpions kind of metal band. That’s when I became friends with him. When Axl moved out here, Izzy and Axl ended up getting this little pad on Crescent Heights and Sunset. They put together Hollywood Rose–first it was called A-X-L, then they were Rose, and then Hollywood Rose.

TRACII GUNS: A bunch of people revolved in and out of Hollywood Rose–it’s the way these bands are. Izzy got an offer to join this band called London, so he left. Axl ended up singing for L.A. Guns until he got in a fight with our manager. But Axl decided we should continue writing songs together since we lived together. Then we came up with the name “Guns N’ Roses”–it was like, “I’m Tracii Guns and you’re Axl Rose.” We pulled in Izzy, who was trying to do another version of Hollywood Rose. Steven Adler was the next guy in the band–he had great hair. Duff was in some weird Top 40 band, but Izzy was like, “This guy’s got short hair, but he’s into New York Dolls and stuff like that.” He had a Johnny Thunders T-shirt on, and we were, like “This guy’s perfect.”

[SPIN '99]

• Like 1