Recommend some good mid 90s hard rock records

Fashionista

The mid 90s is like my favorite period of music, so much variety, but the one thing that seems to be missing is a band along the lines of the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith or GN'R. If someone could recommend me some record released between 1994 and 1997 that are similar to Lies, the UYI records or Aerosmith's "Get a Grip" in sound I would be much obliged to you. Stuff that has that bluesy feel and that self effacing tongue in cheek sense of humor. It seems like the area of Stonesy, aggressive rock was kinda empty in this era. Metallica did the Load records but they cut their hair at the same time....

Probably goes with out mentioning but Gilbys Pawn Shop Guitars and Snakepit It's Five O'clock Somewhere.  Black Crowes Amorica.  Blind Melon had both Soup and Nico albums.  Lenny Kravitz Circus.  The Woodstock 94 compilation has some great Rn'R (a still roots rock Sheryl Crow does a wonderful run baby run.  Slash joins Paul Rodgers).  STP Tiny Music.

Theres this Canadian band called Big Wreck that has a lot of what you describe and also a bit of big drop d modern rock.  Still very rootsy with old school swagger though:

Edit: actually there was lots of good hard rock in Canada then.  Also Big Sugar:

And the Tea Party:

Some arent tongue in cheek, but hopefully hit enough of the criteria!

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

Ever give The Black Crowes a shot? They got your Stones sound, your blues, they're  funny, and have that straight up rock sound. Their first 3 albums are all great, Shake Your Money Maker...The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion....Amorica.

Anything from Tom Petty during that time fits the bill.

Corrosion Of Conformity for something a little heavier, closer to your Load records you mentioned but a little more blues based. Deliverance would be the first one I recommend.

And I used to feel embarrassed to mention this one, but Ugly Kid Joe's America's Least Wanted is a really good album with that sound.

• Like 1

If you go a little later to '99, Buckcherry's self-titled debut would get my vote for the best hard rock record of the second half of the nineties.

Backyard Babies - Total 13 (1998)

Both are absolutely blistering, although the second one may be a bit too punky for what you're looking for.

Also check out Cry of Love, two albums 'Brother' (1993) and 'Diamonds & Debris' (1997), different singers on each but both really good.

EDIT:

The Hellacopters 'Payin' The Dues' (1997) and 'Grande Rock' (1999) are quality as well.

Edited by bucketfoot

This is why Axl's absence during that era sucks. You have no cool lead singer/lead guitarist in a high profile band carrying the Stones/Aerosmith flame in these years. Get A Grip was the last great hard rock record of the 80s-early 90s style IMO. Load is cool from 96 but Metallica adopted a whole alternative look and identity so not really hard rock. Really the only song that I can think that fits what I'm looking for in terms of the sound and era is Van Halen's Humans Being from 1996.

Edited by Fashionista

8 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

This is why Axl's absence during that era sucks. You have no cool lead singer/lead guitarist in a high profile band carrying the Stones/Aerosmith flame in these years. Get A Grip was the last great hard rock record of the 80s-early 90s style IMO. Load is cool from 96 but Metallica adopted a whole alternative look and identity so not really hard rock. Really the only song that I can think that fits what I'm looking for in terms of the sound and era is Van Halen's Humans Being from 1996.

Well, that style of music really went out of fashion for a while, unfortunately. Give the albums mentioned in the thread a try though, if you haven't heard them, there's some really good stuff.

Edited by bucketfoot

The Black Crowes would be my first choice.

Lenny Kravitz always had some bluesy/hard rock influences.

Bon Jovi. No, seriously. In the 90s they moved away a bit from that cheesy metal/pop sound from the 80s and started using more bluesy and rock 'n roll influences in their songs.

Ugly Kid Joe. Their album 'Menace To Sobriety' was a step forward from the silliness of their monster hit 'Everything About You'. Although they might be a bit too metal.