Matt Sorum Quotes on GnR ('96 - present) - Timeline of Firing

On a sidenote, can anyone imagine the drama @ the '96 Halloween party in Axl's house the day after Slash quits? :facepalm:

One of the great GnR untold stories is if the band members showed up to that party (Slash was there for the one in '95). Imagine the unbelievably awkward encounter that would have gone down between Duff, Matt, and Paul Huge. "So uh....did you guys hear about what happened yesterday with Salsh?" :lol:

----

On 10/30/96, Axl sent a fax to MTV, announcing that there will be a new GNR studio album, yet Slash is no longer in the band.

"Duff accepted my decision without any question, and Matt wasn't surprised either." (Slash, autobiography)

"It barely registered with me - I had long since come to grips with the fact that [Slash] was done. And anyway, it wasn’t as if Guns was active. He left behind an empty studio being paid for by an entity that itself barely existed." (Duff, Autobiography)

And as for the day after...

"Axl throws a costume party every Halloween for friends and their families. Enormous pumpkins ring the swimming pool, and spider webs hang in the trees. Specially built mazes and forts rattle with squealing children. Almost as excited as a child, Axl himself has been known to dash around and toy with every attraction. One past guest gets the impression that Axl is trying to re-create his own childhood, albeit one better than his actually was. The Halloween scene in the past few years hasn't been what it once was. 'His parties have been getting smaller and smaller,' recalls one recent guest. 'The ever-shrinking universe.'" (Rolling Stone, 05/11/00)

----

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

L.A. Weekly reporter Art Tavana was recently interviewed on Appetite for Distortion and discussed Guns N’ Roses’ rumored 2016 offer to Matt Sorum. Alternative Nation transcribed the quotes.

“This is not a secret, Matt Sorum was offered the similar kind of Steven Adler thing, where hey, you can play a couple shows.”

He added, “He was offered spots, and he refused because he wasn’t getting paid what he thought he should have gotten paid is what I’m told.”

Matt Sorum tweeted in April that he ‘wasn’t asked’ to take part in the Guns N’ Roses reunion. “No sir, they didn’t ask me.”

Tavana also discussed Steven Adler.

“[Steven] Adler’s back is too injured to be a full time member of the band. I don’t think would have ever been a full time member of the band, even if he was fully healthy, because Frank [Ferrer] is an Axl guy, the same way Richard Fortus is, so that will never change. I don’t personally think [Adler] will be involved in songwriting, I don’t think he ever was. I love Adler, I think he’s one of the best parts of [Appetite for Destruction].”

Matt Sorum was interviewed by WRIF in June, and before the pre-recorded interview played, the host mentioned that he was asked to not ask about Guns N’ Roses during the interview. Despite this, Sorum hinted and alluded to his exclusion from Guns N’ Roses’ ‘Not In This Lifetime’ tour a few times during the interview. Alternative Nation transcribed some quotes from the 25 minute interview.

Sorum discussed his place in bands he’s been in, “I’ve always been a little bit more of an outspoken guy in a band, and maybe that’s why I move around so much (laughs).”

He later said, “Obviously there’s bands of mine that I’ve been playing with over the years that are out on the road doing different things. People go, ‘Hey Matt, Don’t you wish you were doing that?’ I go, ‘No, I like what the next thing brings.'”

Sorum later discussed having faith in rock and roll, and his outlook on life, specifically when it came to being left out of things.

“Don’t ever get like oh hey, I got left out of that, or I got left out of this. The idea is gratitude. I heard Hillary Clinton talk about this the other day. They were asking her about her faith, and she said she studies gratitude every day. I thought if we have a President who is pushing a sermon of gratitude, that sounds pretty good to me. Because we’re always kind of nay saying on everything in life, but we seem to forget what we have.

I always reflect on what I’ve been given. You don’t get it for free, you’ve got to go out and work for it, and you have to have a certain talent, and I don’t take my talent for granted. So when I go into a situation, I come in there ready, professional, with the best attitude possible. I’ve been blessed, I go, I’m grateful. That’s not always been me, I’ve got to be honest, but as you get a little older in life you go oh wow, life’s pretty good.”

https://www.alternativenation.net/guns-n-roses-surprising-offer-to-matt-sorum-reportedly-revealed/

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Former Guns N’ Roses drummer Matt Sorum has revealed on Twitter that he ‘wasn’t asked’ to take part in GNR’s reunion tour. He later deleted the tweet. He was later asked if he was watching Guns N’ Roses’ Las Vegas concerts, he said he preferred to watch Downton Abbey. “Watching final season of Downton Abbey.” Sorum also wished his former GNR bandmate Izzy Stradlin happy birthday on Saturday. Stradlin is also not involved in Guns N’ Roses’ reunion.

https://www.alternativenation.net/ex-guns-n-roses-member-wasnt-asked-reunion/

MSL is reporting on GNRTruth that Slash and Duff McKagan lobbied to get former drummer Matt Sorum back in Guns N’ Roses for the band’s 2016 Not In This Lifetime Tour.

“I’m sure he’s bummed that Slash & Duff returned without him, especially since it neuters Kings of Chaos, but at least he’s got himself a prominent side gig and I’m sure he’ll have a blast playing with Alice, Joe & Depp.

Slash & Duff did try hard to get him back into GNR, but I don’t think it would have been reasonable to expect Slash & Duff to make it a deal breaker.

And Axl’s loyalty to those that are loyal to him is very admirable IMO.”

Matt Sorum, who is set to tour this summer with Hollywood Vampires (Alice Cooper, Johnny Depp, and Joe Perry), said he is happy with his current band and is not sulking over his Guns N’ Roses reunion snub.

“I’m in the right band right now if you get my drift. I’m happy to be playing with my heroes,” Sorum told Forbes.

https://www.alternativenation.net/slash-duff-mckagan-lobbied-for-axl-rose-to-bring-back-ex-guns-n-roses-member/

Alternative Nation posted a story last week from GNRTruth‘s MSL about Slash and Duff McKagan having lobbied for Matt Sorum to take part in the Guns N’ Roses reunion, and MSL has revealed that while Steven Adler has been considered for cameos by Axl Rose, Matt Sorum was ‘flatly rejected completely.’ MSL posted:

“That didn’t stop [Steven] Adler from being considered for cameos though. Whereas Matt was flatly rejected completely. So I do think there may be some hurt feelings.”

He later shared analysis on why Sorum was rejected, “Adler brings more to the table in the sense that there are more people who would get excited by the idea of Steven getting to play a few songs than seeing Matt. Also, while Steven has run his mouth plenty of times, people feel bad for him / know he’s like a little kid.”

Duff McKagan’s wife Susan Holmes-McKagan liked Alternative Nation’s story from last week on Slash and Duff lobbying for Sorum’s Guns N’ Roses return on Twitter.

https://www.alternativenation.net/ex-guns-n-roses-member-was-rejected-for-reunion/

susanmckagantwitter

AXCDRqMG_bigger.jpgmatt sorumVerified account
More
Happy Birthday @axlrose
11:29 AM - 6 Feb 2018

Edited by RONIN

Excellent read Ronin and thanks for putting in the hard work so slackers like me have something interesting to read on here mate! Much appreciated! 

A side question. What is MSLs link to GNR? Who are his contacts? I signed up a long time ago to that site but after a day of reading his side kicks self righteous BS over and over again I stopped visiting that site. 

Tried to rip-off Guns with a memory stick of emails and Chinese stuff, then Guns got to him with whatever it is they do to people which turns them into sycophants, some Stepfordy Wives brain operation thing is my guess - probably the same procedure Slash and Duff endured. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, tremolo said:

Great compilation @RONIN! Thanks for the time and effort.

What happened during the HOF between Matt and Steven? I disn’t care for that whole event, so I never bothered to watch it

During their acceptance speeches, Sorum recounts how he was hired by the band. He says he took a call from Slash who said they needed a new drummer because they had to kick out their old drummer for taking too many drugs. He then says something like, "How can you get kicked out for doing too many drugs in Guns n' Roses"? It was a cringeworthy moment but Steven was a good sport about it. 

It was an odd induction ceremony starting with Green Day who gave a pretty underwhelming intro for the band. During the speech, Slash and Duff look really pissed like they don't want to be there. Axl gets loudly booed by the audience and Green Day's frontman takes a playful shot at the redhead. He also defends him when the booing gets louder than expected. The most awkard (and hilarious) part of the ceremony happens when the band is coming to the stage and Slash attempts to shake hands with Billie Joe unsuccessfully - finally he just gives up. :lol:

1 hour ago, action said:

without paul, there is no guns n roses

there's much more to that. remember when Axl introduced Paul Huge as "the original guitar player" at the HOB 2001 show? 

well, he wasn't kidding http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=215

(and this might actually be a huge challenge for @RONIN, because this obscure era before GNR was born or even before Axl and co. moved to LA is a huge and poorly documented mess ;) )

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

That was an awesome read...thanks.  Thoughts:

*Sorum is great.  Love how candid he is

*It all just pisses me off how it fell apart

*Never understood why Green Day (sucky band) did the HOF deal

*Maybe I missed it but didn't Axl/Sorum have some random run in where they ended up sharing a limo 8-10 years ago <or longer>?  And allegedly got along just fine.  Axl is still holding grudge against Matt.  Grow up.

*The whole Sedona/Yoda deal and Axl being taken advantage of- sad and how does Axl fucking Rose let that happen?  Suppose because he had no true friends.  And isn't TB basically Yoda 2.0?  They've been milking his financial teet for 20 years +. 

*I still wish they had Matt or Steven on this tour vs Frank, but I guess we can't be to greedy- we got the big 3.

• Like 1