Matt Sorum Quotes on GnR ('96 - present) - Timeline of Firing

Thanks for putting this all together Ronin!  Gotta say, I never liked Matt.  My first exposure to him was the "Hard & Heavy" video that came out before UYI, with footage from Rock In Rio.  He came across as a dick - Duff says that they will be playing in front of X amount of fans and Matt interrupts to say "times $20 per ticket" like, it was all about the $$ to him,  In the same video he's being interviewed and some kid asks for his autograph and Matt waves him away, saying "im doing an interview".  He ended up signing for the kid, but it was a dick move.  I'm glad he's not a part of this tour.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bluefish18 said:

Thanks for putting this all together Ronin!  Gotta say, I never liked Matt.  My first exposure to him was the "Hard & Heavy" video that came out before UYI, with footage from Rock In Rio.  He came across as a dick - Duff says that they will be playing in front of X amount of fans and Matt interrupts to say "times $20 per ticket" like, it was all about the $$ to him,  In the same video he's being interviewed and some kid asks for his autograph and Matt waves him away, saying "im doing an interview".  He ended up signing for the kid, but it was a dick move.  I'm glad he's not a part of this tour.

I never got the love for Matt to be honest. Nothing really personal or anything like that, he was there during a important period for the band but he honestly didnt do anything worth of all the praise he gets. Everything he recorded on Illusions already existed in some kind shape done by Steven or the rest of the band, did he add anything? Probably some fills here and there, but even the classic Dont Cry/November Rain fills was Axl idea, even that. Plus he's just a machine has no feel at all and it seems for the most of the time he was a douche and an attention whore. Remember VR videos? Slash appears 3 times while I only appears 1.

I dont see any difference between him and Frank beside the eras they played and looks. Frank even got a point for being a "super nice fella".

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

Remarks like this in the media probably didn't endear Matt to Axl either. 

"Axl is so jealous of our band," Sorum told Rolling Stone, adding that his encounter with the singer at a New York party ended up being friendly. "Even though he's going out with his GUNS N' ROSES fucking bullshit, he's just fucking jealous and he's trying to tear us down. Fuckin' Slash is out playing rock 'n' roll and he [Axl] don't like it. It's sad."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/velvet-revolver-s-matt-sorum-axl-rose-is-so-jealous-of-our-band/

And Matt was one of the reasons that VR ended so soon too, GNR doesn't need the drama he brings imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

One thing I take from this unexpectedly is that from Axl’s POV, Guns N‘ Roses never really went away, and has existed, continually, with various members probably since 1986. Amazing really.

you're right, but it didn't only start in 1985. the original band was probably the mysterious AXL in Lafayette, then later somewhat resurrected in LA, later renamed Rose and then Hollywood Rose. and that was the direct predecessor of GNR - especially considering LA Guns were resurrected quite shortly after Tracii Guns left GNR - so we can trace the history many more years in the past. in from Axl's POV, all his bands (of course not considering Rapidfire, his LA Guns stint and AC/DC) were really just one long story of a band with revolving door of members, and the time around AFD and UYI were recorded, was just a weird anomaly of stability.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zombux said:

you're right, but it didn't only start in 1985. the original band was probably the mysterious AXL in Lafayette, then later somewhat resurrected in LA, later renamed Rose and then Hollywood Rose. and that was the direct predecessor of GNR - especially considering LA Guns were resurrected quite shortly after Tracii Guns left GNR - so we can trace the history many more years in the past. in from Axl's POV, all his bands (of course not considering Rapidfire, his LA Guns stint and AC/DC) were really just one long story of a band with revolving door of members, and the time around AFD and UYI were recorded, was just a weird anomaly of stability.

Haha, perhaps, and of course their greatest success.

Edited by Carburetta

On 12/03/2018 at 6:46 AM, RONIN said:

During their acceptance speeches, Sorum recounts how he was hired by the band. He says he took a call from Slash who said they needed a new drummer because they had to kick out their old drummer for taking too many drugs. He then says something like, "How can you get kicked out for doing too many drugs in Guns n' Roses"? It was a cringeworthy moment but Steven was a good sport about it. 

It was an odd induction ceremony starting with Green Day who gave a pretty underwhelming intro for the band. During the speech, Slash and Duff look really pissed like they don't want to be there. Axl gets loudly booed by the audience and Green Day's frontman takes a playful shot at the redhead. He also defends him when the booing gets louder than expected. The most awkard (and hilarious) part of the ceremony happens when the band is coming to the stage and Slash attempts to shake hands with Billie Joe unsuccessfully - finally he just gives up. :lol:

Just noticed one thing That I hadn't notice before.

At 5.26 minutes, the guy from Green Day is just saying things about Axl... Look at Duff and Slash! Duff looks like he's ready to jump on stage onto the guy, he has his coat on coming out and all, and Slash looks like he's shocked and revolted. Take a look and tell me what you see, maybe I'm just seeing things...

Edited by Propaganda

I read Matt sold some of his old drum sets.

He's also writing a book. I bet he won't say nice things about Axl like Slash, Duff and Steven said about him. Whatever!

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, Tucknroll said:

I can't stand Matt.  Frank has more groove than him but still not like Steven. I understand him being hired for guns but I don't get slash using him so much after guns. Slash seems to like good ol sleezy rock and Matt's just a machine

Steven had the heart of GNR. Matt was a better drummer, but a dick!

I saw him with VR in Dallas years ago. He was hitting on every underage girl in the place. What a tool! He also never liked Scott as their singer either.

Man, Guns N Roses has been one gloriously beautiful fucked up nightmare from day one. It's one of the reasons I was drawn to them back in the day when I was little. I remember back when MTV was airing their Ritz show. I had to have been what... maybe nine years old or something? Anyway, I had a young mother and she always had MTV on and I walked past the TV and heard that concert and then stopped, turned around and looked at them. I thought they looked like monsters. Up until that point, the only images of rock stars that I had seen were pin-up posers like Motley (yeah, I said it), Poison, Bon Jovi... stuff like that. Watching Guns N Roses play the Ritz, it was like a revelation. I was too young to articulate it then but now I would describe it as "genuine". They were as real as it gets and it just showed. 

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 4

I'm not a fan of his drumming and I always thought he came off as kind of a dick back then. However, nowadays I think he comes off really well. Maybe the most likable person in the GNR universe even. He really seems to have evolved as a person since that time.

• Confused 1

On 11.3.2018 at 6:49 AM, RONIN said:

And I was able to give him a little dig when I did my speech because he fucked with me for so many years.

I'm not a huge fan of Sorum's drumming style or his personality, but I always thought that the comment about Steven at RRHOF was more of a joke about Gn'R as a whole. You know , a band that was huge drug and alcohol infested mess, fired a drummer because of drugs. It is pretty ironic.   I guess Matt could've been the bigger person and leave if out from his speech (even if it was not meant to be taken  seriously), but he didn't. Go figure.  

On 11.3.2018 at 6:49 AM, RONIN said:

Many people also said I'm better than Steven. No, I only play in a different way.

This is something I can respect. Despite of his ego, he hasn't (at least publicly) elevated himself above Steven as a Gn'R- drummer. He is technically more competent,  but that's not the only thing that matters. Steven was a perfect fit for them during his time in the band (AFD/LIES-era) 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

Only on GNR forums do you see absolute hatred for Matt Sorum... lol

To me he just seems like a straight up guy, and he’s always been like that. 

And while he doesn’t have the same groove that Steven does, there’s no denying him having a lock in groove with Slash and Duff that Frank just doesn’t have. 

• Confused 1