06/03/18 - Berlin, Germany - Olympiastadion

downzy

20 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

Why is everybody hitting the panic button? The first few shows are always a bit rough for Axl. He’ll get there. It would be nice if he showed up polished, but it is the way it is. It’s not like it’s something new for him to off on the first show. In addition to him being bad, apparently there was also legitimate PA issues. If it’s still this bad in a month, I’ll join you in pushing the button. Until then, chill man. 

Because this crap aka first few shows caused by this igniorant lunatic lasts for 25 years now

On 6/4/2018 at 8:12 PM, shotsfired cro said:

I have thousands of bootlegs I traded back in the day, even beforetrackers were around, spent money and time - there was no better feeling than postman bringing those packages full of cd's...I have the whole era 1986-93, but yesterday I couldn't listen more than 3 songs for about 3 minutes each. I don't let anyone else there tell me he was a bigger fan but now I am about to give up for good. 

He had 8 months to prepare, get a vocal coach, get on a diet that would enable him to sing better, show some respect to the fans that pay tickets shit load of money to see this disaster, what does he do?  Shows absolute negligence.  Absolute ignorance towards, fans, Slash and Duff, GNR name.  He literally tells the fans 'give me your money stupid people', does so with a smismile on his face. Disgrace! He deserves a slap on his face. Turns GNR  brand into an absolute comedy. Axl if you don't feel like doing this anymore, get the hell out and take Frank, melissa and Fortus with you.  Izzy can sing half of the songs anyway up to a standard that would be respectful to the fans.

Personally I feel like this is more than a little of a hyperbole

I think it's fairly obvious that they skipped YCBM and Coma and did a half assed rehearsal of Slither because Matt Sorum will soon be joining them for these songs. 

Also you all should be ashamed of yourselves. What if it turned out that Axl spent the entire break working on AC/DC and this show was basically a gnr warmup show? You all seem to love the Cathouse '89 warmup. I would cut the NITL tour some slack and trust that everything will be fine. 

Edited by TOS--LOA

I don't enjoy the Axl criticism but at the same time I'm happy that we have a lot of dedicated and hardcore fans who are not just blind fanboys.

This is a rip off people and that has been the case for some time now. The novelty of Slash and Duff wore off and the shitstorm is coming.

I saw Guns in 2006, 2010 and 2017. I don't judge based on YouTube. 

If people can't hear how wrong Axl's voice is then I suggest you go back to basics. Stop drooling and put some records on. Listen. 

And if you really, really want the ultimate example of how shitty it is, I recommend Yesterdays. Listen to the song from Las Vegas 1992 or Sao Paulo 1992. Then listen to any Yesterdays from 2017. You don't hear the problem? Go to the doctor. The problem most evident in Yesterdays manifests itself on different levels throughout the setlist. Rocket Queen, Sweet Child and some other songs suffer the most but he can generally still pull off great Jungle and Nightrain. Listen to the second part of Estranged on this last tour. Makes me cringe every time.

And no, it's not about wanting him to sound like he's 30. I know he can't. But he has to be reminiscent of it. And he's light years away.

Edited by Sisyphus

1 hour ago, Sisyphus said:

I don't enjoy the Axl criticism but at the same time I'm happy that we have a lot of dedicated and hardcore fans who are not just blind fanboys.

This is a rip off people and that has been the case for some time now. The novelty of Slash and Duff wore off and the shitstorm is coming.

I saw Guns in 2006, 2010 and 2017. I don't judge based on YouTube. 

If people can't hear how wrong Axl's voice is then I suggest you go back to basics. Stop drooling and put some records on. Listen. 

And if you really, really want the ultimate example of how shitty it is, I recommend Yesterdays. Listen to the song from Las Vegas 1992 or Sao Paulo 1992. Then listen to any Yesterdays from 2017. You don't hear the problem? Go to the doctor. The problem most evident in Yesterdays manifests itself on different levels throughout the setlist. Rocket Queen, Sweet Child and some other songs suffer the most but he can generally still pull off great Jungle and Nightrain. Listen to the second part of Estranged on this last tour. Makes me cringe every time.

And no, it's not about wanting him to sound like he's 30. I know he can't. But he has to be reminiscent of it. And he's light years away.

What's wrong with people enjoying the show? I don't get that. It's not as if people enjoying the shows have a problem. They're not all blind fanboys who are so dumb they get ripped off. That's just as bad as calling everyone who doesn't like it a hater. No need to be condescending.

Live and let live.

every time there was a modest show the same bitching. It is what it is. I was there, I thought Axl had a bad day and that the acoustics sucked. Did that stop me from having a good time? No.

It is commonly known that the first gig of Guns is always problematic; and it will improve. Slash, Duff and Fortus were doing great. Axl recognized he sucked that day and still soldiered through as good as possible. In the early days there would have been a riot or he would not have showed up at all. 

It is sad for the fans in Berlin that only got to see Guns once in a lifetime that Axl had a bad day. True. But it is nowhere the end of the world or the end of the band. In the 90s there were also weak shows. So please stop making such a big drama out of it. There will be better shows and there will be great shows and possibly some mediocre ones too. It is normal.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Padme said:

It was a bad show to say the least. He never said he was sick. Why should anyone assume he was? Tickets are very expensive. This show was not worthy. The problems with his voice are nothing new. He knows it. He admited it. No excuses.  He has to take better care of his voice. It seems he doesn't understand that being in good shape is also part of his job. He does deserve all the criticism he is getting. I hope this voice issues don't happen again. But I wouldn't bet on it.

He does warm up before a show. During neo gnr he did have an entire health team surrounding him. He have said many times before he does prepare. That was also confirmed by backstage interviews with crew members and such at several associations.

If he would be sick I doubt he would say it as he never did before when he actually was..

But my point was that it can be variables that aren't controllable despite preparations. Like scar tissue on his vocal cords or something similar. 

I KNOW that his clean mickey voice is used when his raspy mode gets too raspy and have an injurious effect on his vocal cords. 

He's ABLE sing raspy AT ANY TIME, but under some conditions he would simply damaged his voice doing that. 

Once again.. listen when his rasp cuts through the few times it does.. Like on civil war or TIL. It does not sound healthy. 

And there's an obvious correlation between a frequently used Mickey voice and an unhealthy rasp both now and past concerts. 

Edited by shootingstar
  • Like 1

We were sitting at an angle where we could see what was happening behind the stage, and I can tell you Axl arrived in a black van 5 minutes before showstart. The van came driving through the tunnel, parked right next to the stage and at the same moment the intro began on the big screens.

The rest of the band came walking in together as a group 15 minutes earlier, followed by Kat taking pictures.

So, Axl sings like shit because :

-> it's the fault of the stadium

Man, that's a lotta crap sounding stadiums around the world then :facepalm:

-> it's the first night after a long break

Then why does he 'do the Mickey' at every other show on this 'reunion' tour ? :facepalm:

-> he's sick

He's sure sick a lot :facepalm:

-> there were technical difficulties

So they've been having technical difficulties since '01 ? :facepalm:

-> you can't judge from Youtube vids, he sounds much better if you're there !

No he doesn't, I've seen him 12 times with his various cover bands, you either suck or you don't, Youtube doesn't change that one bit :facepalm:

-> the material is difficult to sing

Maybe he should practice ?  It didn't seem too difficult in Axl/DC ? :facepalm:

-> your expectations are too high

Your ticket prices are too high ! :facepalm:

-> he's older, you can't expect him to sing like in his '30's

he was in his late 30's when he recorded the bulk of the ChiDem vocals (in the controlled environment of a studio!) and even THERE he sounds like Mickey Mouse. :facepalm:

-> why are you still here ?  why do you keep going to the shows ?

I am a GNR fan, this is a GNR forum, I'm discussing my favourite band, or what's left of it ... I keep going to the shows because 'GNR' at their worst is still better than most other bands !:facepalm:

-> you're too negative

I wanted an AFD boxset with the complete AFD demos/outtakes/live shit, and I got a box full of toys.  Nuff said. :facepalm:

Maybe they should use pre-recorded vocals for McBob AND Axl ...

1 hour ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

So, Axl sings like shit because :

-> it's the fault of the stadium

Man, that's a lotta crap sounding stadiums around the world then :facepalm:

-> it's the first night after a long break

Then why does he 'do the Mickey' at every other show on this 'reunion' tour ? :facepalm:

-> he's sick

He's sure sick a lot :facepalm:

-> there were technical difficulties

So they've been having technical difficulties since '01 ? :facepalm:

-> you can't judge from Youtube vids, he sounds much better if you're there !

No he doesn't, I've seen him 12 times with his various cover bands, you either suck or you don't, Youtube doesn't change that one bit :facepalm:

-> the material is difficult to sing

Maybe he should practice ?  It didn't seem too difficult in Axl/DC ? :facepalm:

-> your expectations are too high

Your ticket prices are too high ! :facepalm:

-> he's older, you can't expect him to sing like in his '30's

he was in his late 30's when he recorded the bulk of the ChiDem vocals (in the controlled environment of a studio!) and even THERE he sounds like Mickey Mouse. :facepalm:

-> why are you still here ?  why do you keep going to the shows ?

I am a GNR fan, this is a GNR forum, I'm discussing my favourite band, or what's left of it ... I keep going to the shows because 'GNR' at their worst is still better than most other bands !:facepalm:

-> you're too negative

I wanted an AFD boxset with the complete AFD demos/outtakes/live shit, and I got a box full of toys.  Nuff said. :facepalm:

Maybe they should use pre-recorded vocals for McBob AND Axl ...

Most likely he damaged his voice during the 90's and even more during the Axl/dc. So there's an answer why he could sing axl/dc but not AFTER.

But once again you do something that annoys me to death. You ignore the fact that his voice been way better, I mean world class during long periods after '01. 

This is one example. Of many.

This is another example where he sings amazingly great. 2016... before axl/dc.

Don't forget the curfew at 22:00. The Olympic Stadium is in a residential district. GN'R was planed 19:00, so they had 3 hours time.. But GN'R came 19:20.. 20 Minutes late. GN'R played until 22:00. 2 hour and 40 minutes, there was no place for Coma, Black Hole Sun, THE FUCKIN SEEKA.

Hannover was an exception. The Major of Hannover was involded to give GN'R the permission to play a full set after the heavy storm.

That stadium is almost 100 years old and was never meant to feature music concerts, no wonder there was sound issues. It's not like Axl cant sing anymore but if you cant hear yourself properly you wont be able to sing right its not rocket science. They were just fine in Denmark last night so I  think they will make up to german audience with the next concerts.