06/12/18 - Gelsenkirchen, Germany - Veltins Arena

downzy

1 minute ago, felixGNR said:

so snakepit 1st album is a bunch of GNR covers? 

think about it does it make sense? sometimes you try too hard.

That's why, for me Shadow Of Your Love is a Guns N' Roses record because they sold the song in 1988 on japanese only EP or something.. the same way like Reckless Life, Anything Geos are Guns N' Roses records too because they sold the song under the Guns N' Roses name before even Shadow Of Your Love was released under Hollywood Roses name (the 2004 Demo album "Roots of GN'R)

that's why it's stupid to call SOYL a Hollywood Rose Cover...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

That's why, for me Shadow Of Your Love is a Guns N' Roses record because they sold the song in 1988 on japanese only EP or something.. the same way like Reckless Life, Anything Geos are Guns N' Roses records too because they sold the song under the Guns N' Roses name before even Shadow Of Your Love was released under Hollywood Roses name (the 2004 Demo album "Roots of GN'R)

that's why it's stupid to call SOYL a Hollywood Rose Cover...

I get why someone would argue this way. But if SOYL is not a Hollywood Rose cover, who's song did Hollywood Rose play before GNR existed? They covered a song at those gigs by a band, that did not exist? What?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I get why someone would argue this way. But if SOYL is not a Hollywood Rose cover, who's song did Hollywood Rose play before GNR existed? They covered a song at those gigs by a band, that did not exist? What?

they played a song made by 2 people. thats all,  some megadeth songs come to mind, played by metallica  never released under that name.

2 minutes ago, mauritox said:

Axl had issues again with the bridge in YCBM. He runs out of breath when he reaches the "cause 5 years is forever" line. 

It sounds like he choked there tbh. He was pretty raspy and hitting the notes without issue up to that point (in the bridge I mean, not the whole song).

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Yep, if you were to go back in time to 1984 to tell those guys in Hollywood Rose they're covering someone elses song..yea it just doesn't make any sense. The song was written for and performed as Hollywood Rose. It's a HR song no matter how people want to spin things. Its origin can't just go from being a bands song to another bands song a year later.

If we want to nitpick on this, it was most likely written before Hollywood Rose existed, at about the same time as Back Off Bitch.

Quotes in spoiler because we're O/T:

Spoiler

This guy's (Alan St. Lesa, from Izzy's pre-GnR band Shire) story on Appetite For Distortion sounded very credible to me:

The first time I met Axl had to be the summer of 1982. They showed up… “they”, I mean, it was him, known as Bill at the time, there was a guy named Paul, and another guy that came with them – he was not a musician, he was just along for the ride. They came at the rehearsals, the garage – you know, the famous garage in the back of David’s [Jagosz] house. They watched us [Shire] play, we were introduced and then the guy rent our instruments and [they] played a song. That’s when I first met him; that was when I first heard him sing.
I remember they started this song, this bare bone primitive song, which was the song they eventually recorded for one of their EPs, “Shadows Of Your Love”. He put his head down and started wailing, this scream was like a foghorn… you know, “My god, he sings loud”, and that was “Shadows Of Your Love”. They did this song, we talked a little bit [...].
It was so different from what I was into but I was familiar with that style. There was a lot of like – I don’t know if you are familiar with the Australian band they ended up covering, Rose Tattoo, Nice Boys… It was even more primitive than AC/DC, it was just that dah-nah-nah-nah and him screaming. And when I saw him eventually a lot of songs were like that. It was not yet that technical inventive riffing that became Appetite For Destruction and Aerosmith like, almost funk like beats, jungle beats. There was none of that. It was just straight ahead wall of sound and him wailing. [...] Yeah [it was just the two of them playing Shadow Of Your Love that day].

Interview:

https://soundcloud.com/theafdshow/ep-29-alan-st-lesa-shire

And it matches with what Axl had said about the song:

Shadow Of Your Love was… I wrote the lyrics kinda influenced by Thin Lizzy. And that was one of the songs that I wrote with Paul Huge, he was original guitarist from Indiana with Izzy and I, and now he’s in a band called Mank Rage. And we just wrote that like in 7 minutes, you know, we did it in 7 minutes years ago and it is something we're really proud of, you know, it’s my friend Josh’s favourite song. […] I pondered the words years before that and then when the song hit it was just like it went to the (?) mental road. It was "hey, let's go!". We had 7 minutes to jam, we didn’t have any equipment so it’s like we didn’t have a choice. [Axl, Rockline radio interview, 1991].

So it wasn't written for Hollywood Rose, but it was re-worked and performed by them, then Axl took it in L.A. Guns and finally it became a GnR song and it was released by GnR, which makes it a GnR song and not a cover, imo.

• Like 3

Just got home from the show. I enjoyed it, unfortunate the set list is too similar to last year. Those covers need to go. I was really annoyed by Frank though. He butchered Mr Brownstone with at least 2 mistakes. Axl sounded acceptable, although sometimes off key and out of breath. Enjoyed SOYL and especially Slither. I’m happy that I’ve went, but if they stick to the same set list I’m going to pass for a while. Saw almost the same show as last year when I went to 3 of them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

It sounds like he choked there tbh. He was pretty raspy and hitting the notes without issue up to that point (in the bridge I mean, not the whole song).

He did the same at the previous gig. Actually he couldn't even sing that line at all.