06/12/18 - Gelsenkirchen, Germany - Veltins Arena

downzy

28 minutes ago, MJ23 said:

You cannot pay by cash inside the venue besides the merchandise. So you have to buy a card for 20 bucks that has the value of 20 bucks. At the end you can go there and get the money back that is still on the card. Or you take the card back home with you (what I did)

733LNKh.jpg

RCenmRG.jpg

I got mine charged with 10 EUR, while my friend was told 20 was the minimum. (I was told 5 EUR was the minimum.) Half of the people working there didn't seem to have a clue about what was going on, from parkings to outside the venue to drinks and food. Cool card though. It's at least something now we don't get GNR cups :P

4 hours ago, Dar97 said:

Has Axl been reading the mygnr comments because he's starting singing the "That's the spot where you might linger" line aha 

It'd be funny if he does and just sings the way he sings to screw around with us!

5 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

And I’m really tired of this “Izzy complaining” thing - he has left by HIMSELF, and clearly said that he DOES NOT LIKE stadium gigs and prefer club ones. How does other’ll change his mind? Only if like in Westworld. And he’s not a soul for sure - left band on its peak due to self-rightness and preservation. So it’s complete ridiculous to demand Izzy at this situation.

do you really believe that izzy is not on this tour because "he DOES NOT LIKE stadium gigs and prefer club ones"? seriously?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

do you really believe that izzy is not on this tour because "he DOES NOT LIKE stadium gigs and prefer club ones"? seriously?

He’s not there probably because he couldn't get exactly what and the way he wants and as it’s about a band and he needs to work with other people...you know, it’s Izzy. Just take a look into his solo career, it’s him all about him. And to be part of a band you need to consider different POV and to some people things like that it’s too hard. So..No Izzy.

Gig was great. Bad echo in the venue, but the show was nice. I saw Del and Fernando also. Got a photo with them and changed few words. Nothing special.. Gelsenkirchen is just quite lame city. One more night and we are leaving. Fast! 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I'm still amazed.

Sound wasn't good the first few songs but got better. 

Axl still got it. It's an entirely different thing to watch it at home on youtube/on a live stream or to see them life. I haven't seen any videos yet but I've been attentive during TIL because of the shitstorm it got the previous times it was performed. 

He did it fine. Rasp was there. Great.

Even when he sings clean some parts, it doesn't sound bad. Everybody was blown away.

Slash killed it all night long. What should I say? I've just read here that Richard can play circles around Slash. Yes he might can on a technical level but Rock n Roll is much more than that.

There's not one single note that Richard plays which isn't covered. Even if you like his parts, they're not created by him.

Needless to say Slash shines on his own stuff the most. His style, his phrasing, his tone, everything, I prefer that to RF any day of the week by a hundred miles.

There's a reason the one is a legend and the other is literally not known.

Frank sucked. Again. Like always.

I agree mostly except for a small correction, Richard wrote the middle, heavy riff within Better.

5 hours ago, RageKage said:

Epic show. Epic voice. Just phenomenal overall. People were blown away last night. I was there with my family who saw it for the first time and they were fucking blown away.

of course some the mygnr people will tell you it sucked, but hey. Thats life. Haha

You really need to stop insulting the users on this forum because of what you pick and choose to read.

Some people think Axl sounded great, some people don't. That's a "mygnr thing" that's a "human race" thing. People are going to have different opinions than you do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You really need to stop insulting the users on this forum because of what you pick and choose to read.

Some people think Axl sounded great, some people don't. That's a "mygnr thing" that's a "human race" thing. People are going to have different opinions than you do.

Where exactly was the insult?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RageKage said:

I still see no insult

We're not going to go in circles about this. Your "everyone on mygnr complains about GNR" schtick is very tired and old. I was trying to be nice by giving you a verbal warning but I can see I should just skip that step in the future.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the show sucked...
We had a real good time yesterday and people around us were awesome. 

I just think that it's just not worth the money they are asking for FOS tickets. These prices are ridiculous. I've see incredible shows for 80-90 € and I always end up in the 3 first rows. :shrugs:
And it's not like there's anything going to change anytime soon. <_< 

Edited by Rubicon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I've just read here that Richard can play circles around Slash. Yes he might can on a technical level but Rock n Roll is much more than that.

There's not one single note that Richard plays which isn't covered. Even if you like his parts, they're not created by him.

Needless to say Slash shines on his own stuff the most. His style, his phrasing, his tone, everything, I prefer that to RF any day of the week by a hundred miles.

There's a reason the one is a legend and the other is literally not known.

Frank sucked. Again. Like always.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slash, he's one of my favourite guitarists ever especially when playing with Axl singing. I just think he's kinda sloppy and noodling a bit too much right now. Compare SCOM solo from the HOF to any given live version of NITL for reference. In that regard, I agree about Frank - even though I think he's an awesome drummer, I believe this band needs Steven much more than Izzy right now. As for Richard, I have yet to hear him on a bad day, he always delivers. When they do WYWH together, Richard has much better tone and feel in direct comparism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That's a "mygnr thing" that's a "human race" thing. People are going to have different opinions than you do.

Agreed.. I try to promote Gn'R outside of here and sent the first few Slither performances to the biggest Gn'R/VR fans I know outside of here and they all thought it was terrible.. Or Axl was terrible... None of them post here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agreed.. I try to promote Gn'R outside of here and sent the first few Slither performances to the biggest Gn'R/VR fans I know outside of here and they all thought it was terrible.. Or Axl was terrible... None of them post here.

People are all over the board when it comes to Axl and always have been. I remember being in high school and seeing them on the Metallica/Faith No More tour and there were people even then who thought he sucked live. You can't please everyone, but I am willing to bet that the majority that attended yesterday enjoyed themselves and thought Axl sounded just fine.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ironmt said:

People are all over the board when it comes to Axl and always have been. I remember being in high school and seeing them on the Metallica/Faith No More tour and there were people even then who thought he sucked live. You can't please everyone, but I am willing to bet that the majority that attended yesterday enjoyed themselves and thought Axl sounded just fine.

I enjoyed myself and thought Frank sucked? Axl did good.

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Well, I am not "believing", it's a fact, maybe not so famous, but Izzy Stradlin always wished that GNR remained a "club" band, and not a stadium/arena band. Also, he was always in some way an aloof member of the band as well as the most fastidious - partly he has left the band because of delays, mayhem and other brutal stuff of typical GNR in 90s. That's why Axl often reffers as "Izzy it's Izzy", as well as in 90s he mentioned something like "We wouldn't be here if Izzy was here" - because they literally would have avoided these "big gigs shit", if Izzy stayed. Probably, he was ready to participate in the reunion, but only for a bigger money stake than he was offered. He also said the same in 90's after leaving the band - about not equal loot sharing. Well, Izzy remained Izzy. And, well, with all do respect to Izzy, GNR is far from "Izzy and others". For sure, Stradlin is a crucial part of GnR story, but yet again, most of the UYI tour was made with Gilby Clark  or, for instance, Dizzy Reed was even more loyal to the band. And choosing beetween Dizzy and Izzy I would think twice as Mr. Reed is much more consistent. The thing is, if Izzy wanted to be paid as much as Duff or even Slash, well, he's out of his mind. He left by himself and demanded too much after all. So, I do not see any unfairness in this story with Izzy and reunion.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don’t understand that last part? Are you saying Dirty Deeds should be difficult for him to sing and he can’t pull it off? Or are you saying it’s easier for him? 

i think at some point the realization hits that ACDC tracks are not in this Goldilocks  range for Axl. You’re talking about covering two singers with a setlist that spanned 6+ albums and so the understanding should be that Axl simply put in more work and got more out of himself playing with ACDC. I don’t buy into this idea that Axl’s voice is so sensitive that a note higher or lower can cause the change from mickey to classic Axl. 

But come to the wonderful vocal thread if you’d like to see or hear more comparisons! 

Yeah, it's harder to him. As it was also mentioned here "Listen to TNT / Dirty Deeds from earlier in the tour and you will hear how much he struggled to put any rasp into them" - indeed I also watched Dirty Deeds live once and caught myself on an idea, that he didn't nail it and after that stuck in comments and forums sections, where many others confirmed my concerns about Dirty Deeds and TNT. 

I am not a pro in vocal thing to explain, but you can just observe different songs performance. Watch November Rain - first party is, basically, mickey and the second, where "You're not the only one..." - is mostly raspy. What the differnece between them? The second is much higher and faster. Move further - "This I Love" - when he ends verses with high pitched scream he usually get distortion (not always, though, harder song, but he does). The same thing with Don't Cry. YCBM, for example, is more complex song - we have a high instrumental tempo, but vocal is various. And it's easier to him to end with rasp "You can call my lawyers etc..." (though it's sometimes even hard to understand that), but opening's not always good. And finally, Nightrain - the song where he shines almost every gig - fast-tempo, high-pitched, just scream and run-over. And also PC - opening verses were complete or almost Mickey on 90% of shows - but the main part - raspy. Also because of that, SOYL is played and sounds decent. It's a typical AC/DC song. 

So, it could sound ridicolous, but as the song faster and higher, it's better for Axl. I think, it can be explained by distortion specs - to do that, you need control an opening of your vocal cords and it seems, with age, Axl could do that only if he produces loud and harsh vocals as he does not need to think of a distorion amount or its quality. So, if their set would have consisted of MM, OTGM, Nightrain, WTTJ, WLR and other such stuff - the show would be mostly raspy, just like Axl/DC. Maybe, not for the first couple of gigs, but it would.  

Edited by nikothebellic

18 minutes ago, nikothebellic said:

The thing is, if Izzy wanted to be paid as much as Duff or even Slash, well, he's out of his mind. He left by himself and demanded too much after all. So, I do not see any unfairness in this story with Izzy and reunion.  

I think it would be just fair to pay him properly and he's got all the right to demand that. Izzy doesn't have as much star power to the casual NITL type of fan but for every othet fan I think he does. He is one of the main songwriters and to many fans he is basically the heart and soul of GNR. I remember attending a show where he joined the CD lineup and the crowd went absolutely insane, knowing who was on stage there in the flesh, and they paid him more than due respect. No offense to Duff, but to me the "big 3" is Axl, Izzy and Slash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Slash, he's one of my favourite guitarists ever especially when playing with Axl singing. I just think he's kinda sloppy and noodling a bit too much right now. Compare SCOM solo from the HOF to any given live version of NITL for reference. In that regard, I agree about Frank - even though I think he's an awesome drummer, I believe this band needs Steven much more than Izzy right now. As for Richard, I have yet to hear him on a bad day, he always delivers. When they do WYWH together, Richard has much better tone and feel in direct comparism.

Slash was always sloppy. In GNR prime more than today. I agree that he tends to noodle a bit to much in some parts but definitely not in SCOM. That was always a song which he played like on the record and it doesn't changed in this tour.

On Richard... never said he can't play. His style is just not my cup of tea. I listed why to me Slash is the by far better guitarist. You are entiteld to have your own opinion.

2 hours ago, Carburetta said:

I agree mostly except for a small correction, Richard wrote the middle, heavy riff within Better.

I'm not that familiar with the credits on CD, I'll give you that. Always thought Better was a Rose/Finck composition.

My point still stands. He did nothing that will be remembered. 

Slash wrote history.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lio said:

I got mine charged with 10 EUR, while my friend was told 20 was the minimum. (I was told 5 EUR was the minimum.) Half of the people working there didn't seem to have a clue about what was going on, from parkings to outside the venue to drinks and food. Cool card though. It's at least something now we don't get GNR cups :P

Yes, weird indeed. I only heard of the 20 Euro charge. I have to admit that parking was way better organized than last year in Hannover, at least where I found a place. 5 Euro was the parking fee. But I have to agree with the drinks. Took hell of a time to get some and you had to discuss that the cup was half empty. 

3 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

I think it would be just fair to pay him properly and he's got all the right to demand that. Izzy doesn't have as much star power to the casual NITL type of fan but for every othet fan I think he does. He is one of the main songwriters and to many fans he is basically the heart and soul of GNR. I remember attending a show where he joined the CD lineup and the crowd went absolutely insane, knowing who was on stage there in the flesh, and they paid him more than due respect. No offense to Duff, but to me the "big 3" is Axl, Izzy and Slash.

Four sure, have nothing against Izzy, he earned some money to score, but if to think logically, from existing members perspective, the line of contributers would be - Axl (always in the band, most of the songs), Slash, Duff (stayed from the beginning, till the end of the best Era 93') and Dizzy (although, joined only in 1990, stayed more than for 20 years, being loyal, participated on songs) - even if to take into considiration Izzy's contribution to songs, I would doubt that Dizzy was ready to be paid less. So, Izzy, probably, if try to be honest and fair, should be paid more than Dizzy, but less than Duff (for some fans, Izzy's more importaint, but speaking on "group experience") and probably they has stuck on this step. SO, Izzy wanted more than Duff and Dizzy more than Izzy - confusing shit after all. And even if the fans may acknowledge that, bussines side is much more complex. 

• GNFNR 1