06/18/18 - Paris France - Download Festival

downzy

2 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I used to not like live, but then I realized that they make the songs even better when they are played live. I like all the solos to see what the band members are thinking of at the time. The more I liked live music, the more I liked improv added to the songs. That’s part of the reason why I love Zeppelin so much, or Queen(they didn’t do much improv but they made the songs so much better live).

YES, same goes for GNR when GNR was GNR

yeah

now in the GNA tour its only Slash who provides these moments

Axl lost that quality a long ago

He became a bureaucrat in 1992 and all 1992 shows sound exactly the same with very few exceptions

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I don’t get why everyone doesn’t like Slash’s little improvs. I personally think he’s the best part of the show. I like all the solos he does. It provides something different for the show. I also like seeing a band expand upon a song and make it longer, that’s why I like Knockin’, Rocket Queen, and Double Talkin’ Jive. His solos make the songs better than the studio version. This is all just personal opinion, but I’m surprised at how many people don’t like it.

Agree 100% and your post got quite  a bit of likes so I am pretty sure the majority agree.  I had a lot of friends/acquaintances that went to the Foxboro shows and so many people were posting on facebook about how awesome Slash was after the show.   His solos are also a little different every time which is cool. It adds a little freshness to the shows on top of changing up songs. If anyone needs to stop noodling it is Fortus.. He makes KOHD and RQ drag.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agree 100% and your post got quite  a bit of likes so I am pretty sure the majority agree.  I had a lot of friends/acquaintances that went to the Foxboro shows and so many people were posting on facebook about how awesome Slash was after the show.   His solos are also a little different every time which is cool. It adds a little freshness to the shows on top of changing up songs. If anyone needs to stop noodling it is Fortus.. He makes KOHD and RQ drag.

Well, no shit. I went to the second Foxboro show in 2016. My principal was even there and we talked about it a couple of times. I still can’t believe they played Catcher In the Rye for the first time with Slash there. I think it was the vocal minority that was saying they didn’t like the Slash solos.

Edited by Ninjapie24
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I think it was the vocal minority that was saying they didn’t like the Slash solos.

Minority for sure since I have never "heard it"..  I actually hardly ever see it here either aside from one or two knobs..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Fortus's solos make the show drag....? All 4 minutes of soloing he does in a 3hr show😂😂😂😂 

Slash's main solo is almost 15mins in length. Jimmy page would raise an eyebrow at that length😁

Slash was entertaining the first time I saw him, but even then I don't care! there's no guitar player who can noodle for that long and keep my attention and the majority of a large crowd either. If gnr and Slash are happy with his solo sections allowing for piss breaks and lulls and enthusiasm then great! But if they think the majority actually want to hear a prolonged guitar duel, or giant instrumental solo section they (any everyone) else ate plain wrong.

I get it that some people love everything that Slash does, and to a point I'm also that person but! My no 1 point when it comes to a live gig is, to keep the momentum going and those solo sections don't do that. Richards don't either (well his 2012 solo kinda did) DJs definitely didn't, bumbles Pink panther was the closest because it was a bit more crowd interactive.

For me, it's a great excuse to take a piss so I don't mind if they keep them though. Same with Coma, while I'm saying controversial things😁

this Fortus guy needs to get all the money and memories and whatever else that he collected over the years playing with axl, put them in a beautiful bag, leave this band forever and say "thanks, Axl, now go call Izzy"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Fortus's solos make the show drag....? All 4 minutes of soloing he does in a 3hr show😂😂😂😂 

Slash's main solo is almost 15mins in length. Jimmy page would raise an eyebrow at that length😁

Slash was entertaining the first time I saw him, but even then I don't care! there's no guitar player who can noodle for that long and keep my attention and the majority of a large crowd either. If gnr and Slash are happy with his solo sections allowing for piss breaks and lulls and enthusiasm then great! But if they think the majority actually want to hear a prolonged guitar duel, or giant instrumental solo section they (any everyone) else ate plain wrong.

I get it that some people love everything that Slash does, and to a point I'm also that person but! My no 1 point when it comes to a live gig is, to keep the momentum going and those solo sections don't do that. Richards don't either (well his 2012 solo kinda did) DJs definitely didn't, bumbles Pink panther was the closest because it was a bit more crowd interactive.

For me, it's a great excuse to take a piss so I don't mind if they keep them though. Same with Coma, while I'm saying controversial things😁

At the concerts I attended most people used Better and TIL for piss breaks :)

I enjoy Slash's solos a lot. I don't even care if anyone thinks they're boring because to me most of them are highlights of the shows and Slash, as the driving force, is the main reason I pay that much for these tickets. It's basically the same with all the people I know that went to the shows and the comments at the gigs during the solos speak for themselves. So no, I can't confirm that people don't enjoy extended versions or solo spots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I said Fortus makes those two specific songs drag not the show... The show is 3 1/2 fucking hours long.. They can't keep "momentum" for 3 1/2 hours.. There is bound to be ebb and flow.. Most bands would just take an intermission but Guns don't.. Why not have Slash solo for 15 minutes instead? If yourself or others want to take a piss, have fun.. I guarantee you are exaggerating when you say the majority though.. Anyway you go take a piss while the guitar god does his thing and I'll go during awkward songs like this I love and Better...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I enjoy Slash's solos a lot. I don't even care if anyone thinks they're boring because to me most of them are highlights of the shows and Slash, as the driving force, is the main reason I pay that much for these tickets. It's basically the same with all the people I know that went to the shows and the comments at the gigs during the solos speak for themselves. So no, I can't confirm that people don't enjoy extended versions or solo spots.

Same here.. I wouldn't give a fuck about this band if he wasn't back in it..  I am guessing the majority of fans in those stadiums they are selling out agree since they were no where to be found during the dark years.  

• Like 3

I said Fortus makes those two specific songs drag not the show... The show is 3 1/2 fucking hours long.. They can't keep "momentum" for 3 1/2 hours.. There is bound to be ebb and flow.. Most bands would just take an intermission but Guns don't.. Why not have Slash solo for 15 minutes instead? If yourself or others want to take a piss, have fun.. I guarantee you are exaggerating when you say the majority though.. Anyway you go take a piss while the guitar god does his thing and I'll go during awkward songs like this I love and Better...

I have no problem with guitar solos in a set, and I can stomach the godfather theme, but random blues jams are not entertaining... it's new every night, and that's all well and good... but the ideas really aren't that new he's not exactly Derek Trucks, and the music behind the soloing is your most basic of blues progressions, there's really no interest there for me. However, I've had my mind changed by absolute breath taking solo spots before, but the golden rule was adhered to (short, and not boring). It's either got to be visually entertaining (light show, pyro etc), a technical tour de force (show people something they'e never heard or seen before, a great example of how t do it linked below), framed in a great composition or just short and fiery and noodle away. There's room for solos in the set if it's just noodling then you're losing large portions of the audience 2-3mins in. Next time turn and watch the amount of people chatting, yawning, leaving or basically looking bored, they shouldn't be hard to pinpoint.

I saw Queen last year, and Brian May is a definitive and to this day tasteful guitar god, no of solos (1) It was a solid 2hr 20 set, and that was more than enough to show why we all love him. Brian showed how much of a guitar god he was simply by playing his catalogue and when the time was right he took centre stage to show off. I guarantee that tightening up the solo spots would improve the overall enjoyment of the gig for the majority of people.

What Slash does is over-indulgent noodling, similar with Axl insisting on leaving certain CD songs (personally think Chinese is the only one that works with new GNR) in the set that weigh things down, Slash's overuse of the extended solo makes the set much much less entertaining. 

Also, if they can't keep momentum for 3 1/2hrs (far too long in my opinion could cut 40mins easily) maybe they should shorten the set? there's no reason to play 3 1/2hrs for the sake of it... this is supposed to be entertainment, not some weird endurance test.

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I have no problem with guitar solos in a set, and I can stomach the godfather theme, but random blues jams are not entertaining... it's new every night, and that's all well and good... but the ideas really aren't that new he's not exactly Derek Trucks, and the music behind the soloing is your most basic of blues progressions, there's really no interest there for me. However, I've had my mind changed by absolute breath taking solo spots before, but the golden rule was adhered to (short, and not boring). It's either got to be visually entertaining (light show, pyro etc), a technical tour de force (show people something they'e never heard or seen before, a great example of how t do it linked below), framed in a great composition or just short and fiery and noodle away. There's room for solos in the set if it's just noodling then you're losing large portions of the audience 2-3mins in. Next time turn and watch the amount of people chatting, yawning, leaving or basically looking bored, they shouldn't be hard to pinpoint.

I saw Queen last year, and Brian May is a definitive and to this day tasteful guitar god, no of solos (1) It was a solid 2hr 20 set, and that was more than enough to show why we all love him. Brian showed how much of a guitar god he was simply by playing his catalogue and when the time was right he took centre stage to show off. I guarantee that tightening up the solo spots would improve the overall enjoyment of the gig for the majority of people.

What Slash does is over-indulgent noodling, similar with Axl insisting on leaving certain CD songs (personally think Chinese is the only one that works with new GNR) in the set that weigh things down, Slash's overuse of the extended solo makes the set much much less entertaining. 

Also, if they can't keep momentum for 3 1/2hrs (far too long in my opinion could cut 40mins easily) maybe they should shorten the set? there's no reason to play 3 1/2hrs for the sake of it... this is supposed to be entertainment, not some weird endurance test.

Agree about the noodling and the godfather is just plain boring. But then again i have a short attention span. People know how good slash is at what he does, would be better to just play extra songs and let the setlist do the talking.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

the godfather is just plain boring.

What!? I will never get tired of Godfather. At least not live. I wouldn't watch it on YouTube or anything, but when I hear and watch it live, I'm still mesmerized by it :wub:

• Like 3

It was my fifth gig of this NITL Tour, and eventhough there was no surprises it was by far the wildest (Aussies and US crowds aren't the best crowds I must say, sorry guys... and thinking there was only 25k people...). I was on the fence on Slash side, the sound there wasn't the best but good enough to enjoy the show.

I was glad to hear SOYL and Slither for the first time live... too bad Axl was off tempo on Shadow, but I hope he'll catch up in Bordeaux next week (my next gig).

Good performance overall by Axl and the band (impressive considering Axl was coughing and spitting a lot). Ax was really in a good mood, a lot of smiles, wavings and tchat. The set was good but I'm still hoping they drop Wichita Lineman, coz as someone said, it's really a moodkiller.

Ranking of the NITL shows I did: 1/ Sydney night 2 2017 (the one with Angus n' Angry Anderson) 2/ Inglewood night 2 2017 (the longest gig of the Tour) 3/ Download France 2018 4/ Paris Stade de France 2017 5/ Inglewood night 1 2017

Edited by KeithMcKagan