07/21/18 - Gothenburg, Sweden - Ullevi Stadium

downzy

Given that this was my first ever GNR show, I don't really have anything to compare with (besides recorded shows) but;

Axl was great in the beginning and the end, WTTJ, Madagascar and Nightrain were definite highlights. 

He Mickey'd the shit out of a few songs in the middle, YCBM and SCOM in particular.

Slash was not really compatible with the overall feel of some of the songs.

Fortus on the other hand was flawless, and I think he played better than Slash on Wish You Were Here. Should have been louder in the mix. 

Frank just got the job done, performed a solid show. Only things I think he did wrong was that he played Estranged and NR too fast. 

Duff sang poorly, seemed to have issues with feedback. To be expected since he was sick. 

Edited by Waemoth
Fairer opinion about Duff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

Given that this was my first ever GNR show, I don't really have anything to compare with (besides recorded shows) but;

Axl was great in the beginning and the end, WTTJ, Madagascar and Nightrain were definite highlights. 

He Mickey'd the shit out of a few songs in the middle, YCBM and SCOM in particular.

Fortus on the other hand was flawless, and I think he played better than Slash on Wish You Were Here. Should have been louder in the mix. 

Frank just got the job done, performed a solid show. Only things I think he did wrong was that he played Estranged and NR too fast. 

Duff sang really poorly, seemed to have issues with feedback. 

Duff was ill, this is the reason, before the show he put a oxygen mask 😕

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

Duff sang really poorly, seemed to have issues with feedback. 

I've seen the NITL show twice and oldNuGuns 3 times. This is a review I agree with 98%... Axl sets the NV tempo (accounting for the 2%).

Richard is way too quiet in the mix, obviously Slash should be louder, but when Slash is soloing I want to hear Richards rhythm underneath, both times I had to concentrate hard to hear Richards guitar under Slash.

I know it gets heat here, but I also think Richard comes off looking better than Slash. I prefer Slash for his style and body of work, but at the show Richard is just king shit! 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I know it gets heat here, but I also think Richard comes off looking better than Slash. I prefer Slash for his style and body of work, but at the show Richard is just king shit! 

Richard is awesome and I agree he is not mixed loud enough and Slash sure takes all the guitar spotlight, but Richard is not second fiddle to me, great tone and feel, very skilled and tasty player, I enjoy listening to him a lot.

Fantastic show. We know Axl doesn’t sound great in parts but that didn’t detract from the experience tonight.

One of the best shows i’ve been to for atmosphere.

Thought Axl got off to a brilliant start and sounded as good as he has done on the first four songs.

Killer stadium show finishing at midnight. It helped that it was dark tonight! Helped in no small part due to the late start. Was waiting for ages after the opener.

In my top three of ten shows since ‘16.

• Like 3

It Looked like an awesome show with a huge turn out, which is great to see. I am just to the point where I would like to see Axl return to AC/DC and leave the Guns songs in the past. He hasn't made any improvements vocally since this leg started. I am not going to get into specific songs that he sounds dreadful on because I think we are all  pretty much aware of which songs they are. I will say that he sounds bad on more songs than good, IMO. 

I am happy for those on the board that made it to this specific show because that is one hell of a crowd and the atmosphere had to be mind blowing. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Fantastic show. We know Axl doesn’t sound great in parts but that didn’t detract from the experience tonight.

One of the best shows i’ve been to for atmosphere.

Thought Axl got off to a brilliant start and sounded as good as he has done on the first four songs.

Killer stadium show finishing at midnight. It helped that it was dark tonight! Helped in no small part due to the late start. Was waiting for ages after the opener.

In my top three of ten shows since ‘16.

How late were they?

Don’t know where else to post this but for what it’s worth: Happy 31st Appetite For Destruction! 🎊🎉

Last year, at this same hour I was drinking and dancing while listening to the gnr sirius channel expecting a surprise or something epic. All I got was an epic hangover the next morning. 🤷🏻‍♀️

#ThanksForNothing

• Haha 4

Great show!!! 

Richard fuckin Fortus sounded great ... his tone  ... sounded better than slash ... and his technic.... Great show overall ... 

Axl sounded good most of the time ... would be nice if he talked a bit moore ... But a better show than last year (at Copenhagen) ...

Sure u can drop some cover songs .... and solos .... But this is a ROCK SHOW..... 

8 hours ago, Waemoth said:

Duff sang poorly, seemed to have issues with feedback. To be expected since he was sick. 

I think Slash is getting bored out of the setlist !! and thats is affecting his playing !! the last tour of SMKC, he played better than most of the NITLT !!

• Like 1

Glad everyone had a fab time Ullevi looked full bigger venue than Valle Hovin which just wasnt big enough for them tnis nx 1 in Reykjavik is even smaller then Valle Hovin i do hope we get too see them again at some point.........

7 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Glad everyone had a fab time Ullevi looked full bigger venue than Valle Hovin which just wasnt big enough for them tnis nx 1 in Reykjavik is even smaller then Valle Hovin i do hope we get too see them again at some point.........

Ullevi is a much larger venue than Valle Hovin, much better venue too. Norway doesnt really have too many outdoor venues to chose from so. 

7 hours ago, It’s So Easy said:

Don’t know where else to post this but for what it’s worth: Happy 31st Appetite For Destruction! 🎊🎉

Last year, at this same hour I was drinking and dancing while listening to the gnr sirius channel expecting a surprise or something epic. All I got was an epic hangover the next morning. 🤷🏻‍♀️

#ThanksForNothing

Sorry, if already been posted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet:

"Det finns sämre och tråkigare musiker än Slash och Richard Fortus. Men ibland önskar man att någon vänlig själ hade kapat deras sladdar."

"There are worse and more boring musicians than Slash and Richard Fortus. Though sometimes you do wish that some kind soul would cut their cords. "

What the actual fuck. They also thought SCOM was a highlight and rated that as 4/5 and Maddy at 1/5. Like, yeah buddy! 

Edited by Waemoth

21 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

From Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet:

"Det finns sämre och tråkigare musiker än Slash och Richard Fortus. Men ibland önskar man att någon vänlig själ hade kapat deras sladdar."

"There are worse and more boring musicians than Slash and Richard Fortus. Though sometimes you do wish that some kind soul would cut their cords. "

What the actual fuck. They also thought SCOM was a highlight and rated that as 4/5 and Maddy at 1/5. Like, yeah buddy! 

Don't even bother! It's their job to whine, stir up emotions and get a reaction. The only thing I can get annoyed with is when you get back home and talk to friends about the gig, and I say it was fantastic and they say, "oh really, I heard it was so so". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyanopsis said:

Don't even bother! It's their job to whine, stir up emotions and get a reaction. The only thing I can get annoyed with is when you get back home and talk to friends about the gig, and I say it was fantastic and they say, "oh really, I heard it was so so". 

Yeah man, I know what they're doing. Just brought it up since I thought it was hilarious.