07/21/18 - Gothenburg, Sweden - Ullevi Stadium

downzy

This was a fucking awsome concert and whay better than Stockholm 2017. But what the fuck. I've spent 15 years in a studio. I'm not a studio guru, but this was sound issues. Again. It's a certain higher frequency that's disappear from time to time - the clearness in the sound. That's where Axls rasp is and that's where most of the dynamic is in slash guitar.

I had my spot on the right flat in the middle, and frequences came and disappeared throughout the whole concert and clearly affected the experience of Axls voice in particular. All the people beside me could hear it too. Our theory is not just mixing issues, but the wind. I have an trained ear to hear beyond the mix and his debt in his voice is clearly cut off in the mix. Most soundguys cut off frequencies around 300-500hz, but there's where his voice debt and character are. 

I don't agree what some say about Axls performance. He was way more solid than in Stockholm 2017. I even thought YCBM sounded decent - He didn't have rasp but more like a clear and strong "crisp" in his voice that I really liked.

Axl didn't perform bad on one single song in my opinion! Of course YCBM and SCOM weren't the highlights, but they sounded decent. On the contrary, he performed beyond my expectations on every other song, especially PC and Madagascar.

Some people beside me where sceptical  about the "new guitar guy", but ended up really impressed of Richard when the show was over. I agree that he should have been louder in the mix. 

What to say about slash and Duff and the rest of the band.. they did their job and did it well. Solid. Slash never ending outros annoys me, as I think the energy built up with the audience that should be burst out just pours out instead..

But I really like Slash playing on both new and old songs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, ironmt said:

It Looked like an awesome show with a huge turn out, which is great to see. I am just to the point where I would like to see Axl return to AC/DC and leave the Guns songs in the past. He hasn't made any improvements vocally since this leg started. I am not going to get into specific songs that he sounds dreadful on because I think we are all  pretty much aware of which songs they are. I will say that he sounds bad on more songs than good, IMO. 

I am happy for those on the board that made it to this specific show because that is one hell of a crowd and the atmosphere had to be mind blowing. 

No. Don't agree. IMO he have improved a lot from the start if this leg. I would say he performed better last night than most of the 2017 shows. And he sounded good or really good on the majority of songs. But yes, there are (two) songs that are worse than "good". 

But this is my review where I bolded out where Axl sounded good or very good IMO.

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive

Better
Estranged
Live and Let Die

Slither
Rocket Queen
Shadow Of Your Love

You Could Be Mine
Duff - You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory/Attitude
This I Love
Civil War

Yesterdays
Coma
Slash - Johnny B. Goode/Godfather Theme
Sweet Child O' Mine
Wichita Lineman
Don't Cry
Used To Love Her

Slash/4tus - Wish You Were Here
Layla/November Rain
Black Hole Sun
Only Woman Bleed/Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Nightrain

ENCORE

Jam/Patience
Madagascar
The Seeker
Paradise City

Did anyone else notice that McBob’s intro to the band didn’t mention Gothenburg? And when Axl first sang “You know where you are? You’re in the jungle” he didn’t add on the city name, just the usual “baby”? (Though the second time, he did say the city name.) Gave me the impression they’d forgotten the city name for a bit!!

8 minutes ago, money honey said:

Did anyone else notice that McBob’s intro to the band didn’t mention Gothenburg? And when Axl first sang “You know where you are? You’re in the jungle” he didn’t add on the city name, just the usual “baby”? (Though the second time, he did say the city name.) Gave me the impression they’d forgotten the city name for a bit!!

Didn't say the city or country name in Oslo either.

1 hour ago, cyanopsis said:

Honestly, I haven't heard SOYL on this leg until last night and I was mighty surprised at the performance. This is the middle of the set, and Axl really puts some effort into it! 

It usually doesn't matter if a song is in the middle of the set or at the start or at the end of the set. If it's the kind of a song that fits Axl's current voice, Axl will sound good, no matter what the placement of the song is in the set. If it doesn't fit Axl's current voice, he'll sound like Mickey, no matter when he sings it.

SOYL is just like AC/DC songs. I mean Brian era AC/DC songs. It's a song where Axl get's to scream. That's when Axl shines. Melodic high pitched singing on the other hand tends to sound like Mickey.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, money honey said:

McBob’s voice is recorded and part of the intro film, not live. No variation this leg.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, money honey said:

I'm guess to Axl is a hard language and more hard still the pronunciation .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I'm guess to Axl is a hard language and more hard still the pronunciation .

It’s Gothenburg in English, so nothing difficult about that. 

P.s I don’t think it’s necessarily that important for him to reference the city in that line, he does it at the end of the show.

Edited by Carburetta

8 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

It’s Gothenburg in English, so nothing difficult about that. 

P.s I don’t think it’s necessarily that important for him to reference the city in that line, he does it at the end of the show.

Thanks for clear this 👌

Iirc he said Gothenburg at least a couple of times during the show. 

Had a good time at the show, was better than i expected as well being my first show. Agree with some that some trimming could be used on the long solos and covers. But that is just some critique not so much complaints. 

At first it felt sureal to see Axl, Slash etc stand there right in front of me.

Edited by Martinski
  • Like 2