men and their stuff; how do we keep organised?

action

I moved to this house, 7 years ago. naturally, all my stuff moved along. hundreds of cd's, books, DVD's, 5 guitars, 2 amps, boxes full of pictures, folders upon folders of administration, and that's not even touching all the random stuff.... god knows what all.

all of that was confined upstairs in the small room that is at my disposal. the rest of the house is wife territory.

like I said, that was 7 years ago, and then i began organising everything, putting everything in a logical place.

.... well that was a goddamn fiasco. i can't find a thing anymore. i get these panic attacks where i think i lost something, and then the search of the needle in the haystack starts. like some kind of idiot I look into various boxes until i find it.... then i lose it again!

so lately i began to sort everything. i bought cheap boxes and labeled everything. box 1, box 2,.... I made an inventory of everything that's in a given box, lists with everything that's in it. so when i need to find something now, i have to look up the list, and it tells me which box i find it in. and slowly, slowly it's becoming a bit organised. organisation in my stuff is peace in my head.

anyone else having trouble keeping their stuff tidied up? how do you guys manage it? is your wife happy about it all?

8 minutes ago, action said:

so lately i began to sort everything. i bought cheap boxes and labeled everything. box 1, box 2,.... I made an inventory of everything that's in a given box, lists with everything that's in it. so when i need to find something now, i have to look up the list, and it tells me which box i find it in.

Bit of a girly thing to do, wasn't it? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, action said:

the cheapest boxes were pink with hearts :(

:lol: To be honest, mate, I'm not organised in the slightest and never have been. Well, I'll keep important documents or whatever safe and in order but everything else is just a glorious mess, really.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol: To be honest, mate, I'm not organised in the slightest and never have been. Well, I'll keep important documents or whatever safe and in order but everything else is just a glorious mess, really.

glorious, my ass. i'm constantly finding new stuff to catalogue and re-position. where the hell does it all come from?

but it's ok, i'm still a real man. really :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

All my CDs get thrown on top of my wardrobe or the boot of my car, can't own much more than 20 or so books which are piled up the corner of the room.  Don't own anything else to organise :shrugs: 

Aww that makes me feel sad. How can you not have stuff? I have a shit ton of stuff that i really need to sort out. I'm getting a skip. Come round to mine @Len Cnut and you can have stuff from my skip :lol:

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Aww that makes me feel sad. How can you not have stuff? I have a shit ton of stuff that i really need to sort out. I'm getting a skip. Come round to mine @Len Cnut and you can have stuff from my skip :lol:

only shit i ever really collected was VHS and DVDs and CDs...I mean from like 1994 up until at some point in the mid 200s, maybe late 2000s actually.  And then one day I had to move and it just seemed like a lot of weight so it all went in the skip :lol:  All I have is my clothes, 3 pairs of trainers and my laptop, I really dont take up a lot of room.  I probably would've kept the CDs but I was so untidy back in the day, they were always left out of their cases, scattered all over the gaff, most of em ended up scratched to fuck.

I used to keep my dvd's in alphabetical order, eventually I amassed so many that I just gave up. Got too many for the shelves/cabinet now and they're just piled up in a bedroom. Need to get another dvd shelf. :lol:

10 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Come round to mine @Len Cnut and you can have stuff from my skip :lol:

:lol:

I had a garden bonfire a few years ago and torched most of my stuff just because I realised I didn't need any of it and it was too much hassle to sell or not worth much anyway.

I have a few changes of clothes, my laptop, ~20 mountaineering books, ~15 sentimental CDs, and my camping gear. It's all I need :)

My girlfriend must have 200+ "things" in the bathroom alone. I just use a bar of soap, shaver, shampoo and toothbrush - it boggles my mind just how much stuff she has purchased because she thinks she needs it. She doesn't need any of it, I think she's perfect the way she is, but she says it keeps her happy & confident so I try not to hassle her about it whilst silently raging inside lol.

She has a walk in wardrobe with hundreds of pair of shoes, tops, skirts, jeans etc. Every pair of jeans I own is literally worn out & exposing my boxers. My tees/jumpers are 15+ years old, faded, and full of hot rock burns from when I smoked pot. I look like a bum, but who really cares? I don't, and it keeps me warm which is the only purpose clothing has.

I could pack up my entire life in a rucksack tomorrow. My girlfriend would need 6 trucks to cart away all of her "Made In China" stuff :lol: Sometimes I think she buys stuff just to wind me up, but I'm sure she thinks that I'm a cheapskate who needs to update his wardrobe.

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

All my CDs get thrown on top of my wardrobe or the boot of my car, can't own much more than 20 or so books which are piled up the corner of the room.  Don't own anything else to organise :shrugs: 

the boot of your car, isn't that where all your jihadi stuff is already in? you know, bomb jackets, AK47's,.... eh... britney spears album? :P

2 hours ago, action said:

the boot of your car, isn't that where all your jihadi stuff is already in? you know, bomb jackets, AK47's,.... eh... britney spears album? :P

Funny you should mention that, there's some crazy shit in the back of my car! :lol:  No bomb jackets but i found a high vis jacket in there, no idea where it came from either, I never had a high vis jacket.  This cardboard box full of shit, CDs and books, even a large ceramic tile, again, no idea how it got there!  Its just full of shit.  Rather like its owner :lol:

• GNFNR 1

Ive got rather deep closest and cabinets.  So in addition to lists of inventory, I have a basic map about if 'box 5 is two or three rows back on the right.'  (Axls Chi Dem songwriting system, lol)

I also have a full chest freezer so I bought some chalk board paint, to paint a chalk board directly on to the chest freezer to keep a map and inventory that I can update easily as I go.  Painted on chalk boards could be handy in a workshop too.

I find the key is to de-clutter. 

My husband and I had way too much 'stuff' for a long time (still do really) and it makes our place so chaotic and impossible to keep organised and tidy.  We've started room by room having a proper clear-out, being really honest and ruthless to get rid of things we really don't need or use.  You find that suddenly, there's a logical place for most things once you get rid of the excess, and it's surprising just how much you can get rid of without missing any of it.

I have 3 bedrooms full of stuff and 1 room full of books. I had a look yesterday and realised a lot of this stuff isn't even mine :max: Kids! the bloody kids leave home home and use their old bedrooms to 'store' stuff. I'm gonna give them an ultimatum...come and get it or it goes in the skip. Bloody kids!! 

I am a obsessive compulsive collector so I have a ton of music and  sports memorabilia,  including concert posters, ticket stubs, programs, magazines etc...............also have thousands of CD's, 500+LP's and I am a book hound so there are books everywhere.....We have a big house so space is not an issue but I  keep saying I have to start selling some of my collection on ebay, as I am sure I can sell most of it and make some $$$, but just need the motivation..........

19 hours ago, soon said:

I have a basic map about if 'box 5 is two or three rows back on the right.'  

wow, that's hardcore... ;)

they should make a "stuff organising" app or something. would be a godsend. with a search engine, so you type in the product you search, and your trusty smartphone tells you the exact coordinates

16 minutes ago, action said:

wow, that's hardcore... ;)

they should make a "stuff organising" app or something. would be a godsend. with a search engine, so you type in the product you search, and your trusty smartphone tells you the exact coordinates

Ha, Its just necessity.  I have a small place and lots of frequently used stuff.

I was thinking an app would be good too.  Maybe it could also work with some sorta bar code/rfid stickers that you can put on the boxes and your phone can scan for them and tell you where they are, maybe?  And it can track how often you access each box and make suggestions about organizing where it is on the shelf based on that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soon said:

Ha, Its just necessity.  I have a small place and lots of frequently used stuff.

I was thinking an app would be good too.  Maybe it could also work with some sorta bar code/rfid stickers that you can put on the boxes and your phone can scan for them and tell you where they are, maybe?  And it can track how often you access each box and make suggestions about organizing where it is on the shelf based on that.

lmao. guess that would be preferable over just "nuking the place" like some people suggested. that's such an american thing to do :P

• Haha 1

The bathroom thing…

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP BUYING BUBBLE BATH AS GIFTS?

Toiletries make rubbish gifts. Here's why:

1. It's an essential that people are already going to have in their home.
  2. Many people have an allergy/sensitivity to colourings in bath products.
  3. It shows that you don't know them as a person beyond that they probably wash.
  4. Bathroom cabinets are small enough without extra clutter. 
  5. They're a cheap present which is always dolled up in shiny packaging to look substantial. 
  6. Nobody really wants scented body lotion. 
  7. We all have a preference for brand. And I'm yet to be gifted my favourite brand (Soap & Glory, please). 

Edit: my mygnr Secret Santa got me a Lush gift set once. I'll let them off because it was Lush and that stuff makes me smell tropical. :headbang:

Edited by Gracii Guns

5 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

The bathroom thing…

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP BUYING BUBBLE BATH AS GIFTS?

Toiletries make rubbish gifts. Here's why:

1. It's an essential that people are already going to have in their home.
  2. Many people have an allergy/sensitivity to colourings in bath products.
  3. It shows that you don't know them as a person beyond that they probably wash.
  4. Bathroom cabinets are small enough without extra clutter. 
  5. They're a cheap present which is always dolled up in shiny packaging to look substantial. 
  6. Nobody really wants scented body lotion. 
  7. We all have a preference for brand. And I'm yet to be gifted my favourite brand (Soap & Glory, please). 

Edit: my mygnr Secret Santa got me a Lush gift set once. I'll let them off because it was Lush and that stuff makes me smell tropical. :headbang:

I was about to say, Soap & Glory and Lush are the exceptions to this :lol:

I got a big Soap & Glory set from the husband for Christmas this year :wub:

• Like 1