men and their stuff; how do we keep organised?

action

6 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

The bathroom thing…

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP BUYING BUBBLE BATH AS GIFTS?

Toiletries make rubbish gifts. Here's why:

1. It's an essential that people are already going to have in their home.
  2. Many people have an allergy/sensitivity to colourings in bath products.
  3. It shows that you don't know them as a person beyond that they probably wash.
  4. Bathroom cabinets are small enough without extra clutter. 
  5. They're a cheap present which is always dolled up in shiny packaging to look substantial. 
  6. Nobody really wants scented body lotion. 
  7. We all have a preference for brand. And I'm yet to be gifted my favourite brand (Soap & Glory, please). 

Edit: my mygnr Secret Santa got me a Lush gift set once. I'll let them off because it was Lush and that stuff makes me smell tropical. :headbang:

If you have unwanted (unused) toiletries your local charity shop will take them. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

The bathroom thing…

WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP BUYING BUBBLE BATH AS GIFTS?

Toiletries make rubbish gifts. Here's why:

1. It's an essential that people are already going to have in their home.
  2. Many people have an allergy/sensitivity to colourings in bath products.
  3. It shows that you don't know them as a person beyond that they probably wash.
  4. Bathroom cabinets are small enough without extra clutter. 
  5. They're a cheap present which is always dolled up in shiny packaging to look substantial. 
  6. Nobody really wants scented body lotion. 
  7. We all have a preference for brand. And I'm yet to be gifted my favourite brand (Soap & Glory, please). 

Edit: my mygnr Secret Santa got me a Lush gift set once. I'll let them off because it was Lush and that stuff makes me smell tropical. :headbang:

your honor, the defence calls for an appeal since i have to defend my precious bath time and it's accessories. our constitutional rights of a relaxing, bubbly, colourfull bath are in danger.

I love taking baths, but the conditions need to be right. hear me out.

my bath water has to be at exact 42 ° C degrees (107,6° F) (which will almost get you cooked) and it needs to have a generous amount of bath foam. the kind where i can disappear in. Stepping in a bath with those conditions almost feels like an orgasm to me.

Also, don't you just love things like "goodbye stress" "care and relax" or something to that extent written on the packaging. it promises (falsely, perhaps) certain relaxation and pleasure. Nothing beats a nice warm bath at the end of the day. I like to take a bath with my wife too. you know... we have to be economical with water these days. it's beneficial to the greenhouse effect or something.

• Haha 1

I’ve been trying to declutter my life lately since space is an issue in my apartment.

I’ve gone through my closet and donated tons of clothes over the past few weeks - it’s stuff that I’m probably never going to wear again, so I’d rather that they’d go to people that need / can use them. 

I have a storage unit included with rent, which is nice. That’s currently loaded up with CD cases, and the overflow from my old apartment, which was much bigger. 

Really, aside from the stuff that I still have in storage at my parents’ place (the bulk of my CD collection, my guitars and amps, and various other odds and ends, I don’t really have TOO much, as I really am trying to downsize my life. 

My next move from here will be to a house, hopefully in a few years, so when the time comes to move again, I’m probably just going to toss a lot of stuff out and leave a ton of stuff behind. I’m OCD about neatness and organization, so the less there is to worry about, the better.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, action said:

I moved to this house, 7 years ago. naturally, all my stuff moved along. hundreds of cd's, books, DVD's, 5 guitars, 2 amps, boxes full of pictures, folders upon folders of administration, and that's not even touching all the random stuff.... god knows what all.

all of that was confined upstairs in the small room that is at my disposal. the rest of the house is wife territory.

like I said, that was 7 years ago, and then i began organising everything, putting everything in a logical place.

.... well that was a goddamn fiasco. i can't find a thing anymore. i get these panic attacks where i think i lost something, and then the search of the needle in the haystack starts. like some kind of idiot I look into various boxes until i find it.... then i lose it again!

so lately i began to sort everything. i bought cheap boxes and labeled everything. box 1, box 2,.... I made an inventory of everything that's in a given box, lists with everything that's in it. so when i need to find something now, i have to look up the list, and it tells me which box i find it in. and slowly, slowly it's becoming a bit organised. organisation in my stuff is peace in my head.

anyone else having trouble keeping their stuff tidied up? how do you guys manage it? is your wife happy about it all?

Be a man and build some shelves?

On 12-3-2018 at 8:58 PM, action said:

I moved to this house, 7 years ago. naturally, all my stuff moved along. hundreds of cd's, books, DVD's, 5 guitars, 2 amps, boxes full of pictures, folders upon folders of administration, and that's not even touching all the random stuff.... god knows what all.

Ohhhh... I have a wife.... Ohhhh... I have 5 guitars and 2 amps.... Ohhhh... I have hundreds of CDs.... Ohhhh... I read books.

You make me sick!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ohhhh... I have a wife.... Ohhhh... I have 5 guitars and 2 amps.... Ohhhh... I have hundreds of CDs.... Ohhhh... I read books.

You make me sick!

have you considered seeing a doctor for your problem?

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Here's an actual tip concerning books; get a library card... you will save money, trees and space.

because library books don't need trees to make

1 minute ago, action said:

have you considered seeing a doctor for your problem?

I already have, he considered a therapist, but that shit is expensive here, so I try to get rid of my frustrations on this board.

Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Just now, EvanG said:

I already have, he considered a therapist, but that shit is expensive here, so I try to get rid of my frustrations on this board.

Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

i'm a lover, not a fighter.

it's ok. sorry if i came across as a douchebag in my OP.

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm sorry my humour doesn't translate well online, or in real life for that matter, come to think of it...

And I'm just picking on you because you're Belgian, it's in my job description as your arrogant neighbour from the north.

:lol: kaaskop

i'm sorry. belgians get all douche-baggy when they feel threatened. and seeing how we are always the laughing stock of the dutch, that happens a lot! :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

:lol: kaaskop

i'm sorry. belgians get all douche-baggy when they feel threatened. and seeing how we are always the laughing stock of the dutch, that happens a lot! :lol:

Was ook maar een grapje, ik ben fan van de Belgen en prefereer sowieso jullie accent over de harde geluiden die de meeste Hollanders maken!

• Like 1

why does everyone want to burn the fucking books?

i like books. i'm a major book nerd. i love piles and piles of the things, and i prefer for gasoline and lighters to keep their distance. so put that in your pipes. :lol:

i feel like i need to bring mygnrforum some culture. bunch of barbarians around here. I'm gonna teach you all the wonder of books, not just by reading them, but by seeing them on your shelves, feel them, smell the whisdom and old years as you turn the pages.

(i spelled whisdom wrong, did I?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, action said:

why does everyone want to burn the fucking books?

i like books. i'm a major book nerd. i love piles and piles of the things, and i prefer for gasoline and lighters to keep their distance. so put that in your pipes. :lol:

i feel like i need to bring mygnrforum some culture. bunch of barbarians around here. I'm gonna teach you all the wonder of books, not just by reading them, but by seeing them on your shelves, feel them, smell the whisdom and old years as you turn the pages.

(i spelled whisdom wrong, did I?)

I love real books as well and have a ton of them.........nothing like getting a new book, relaxing, and cracking it for the first time...I  tried kindle but never could get into reading on a tablet...reminded me too much of work...........

• Like 2

I have my home desk facing a window, but I left enough room between desk and wall to stack a bunch of books there.  I'll find other stashes of books in the most unlikely of places and chuckle about it.

Its so true about the smell of books.  Its a glorious thing to smell the earthiness of an old book.  Sometimes I'll open a box of books from the closet and upon being hit by the aroma I can know that a certain book is in that box. Sense memories are powerful things.  But Im somewhat clumsy so many of my books just smell like coffee, red wine, beer, pasta sauce, chicken wings/ribs, curry, smoothie, bong water, french dressing, etc 

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, soon said:

I have my home desk facing a window, but I left enough room between desk and wall to stack a bunch of books there.  I'll find other stashes of books in the most unlikely of places and chuckle about it.

Its so true about the smell of books.  Its a glorious thing to smell the earthiness an old book.  Sometimes I'll open a box of books from the closet and upon being hit by the aroma I can know that a certain book is in that box.  Sense memories are powerful things.  But Im somewhat clumsy so many of my books just smell like coffee, red wine, beer, pasta sauce, chicken wings/ribs, curry, smoothie, bong water, french dressing, etc 

god you must have had an exciting life. my books only smell of mold

@Len Cnut, what do your books smell of? :P

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, action said:

@Len Cnut, what do your books smell of? :P

Uh, paper? :lol:  I don't smoke indoors and I tend to leave my windows open.  Actually I haven't smoked a joint in...since December.  after about a quarter of a century of daily use I've kinda hit a wall with it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, action said:

Oh sure; drinking a smoothie and smoking a bong as I read, alone, is super exciting.  Most people prolly couldn't handle it :lol:

There was one time I was entering the US and the agent saw a Bible on the car seat.  They were so happy to see it, apparently its supposedly indicates Im a good citizen(?).  They got all relaxed and chatty and when they leafed through it and the butt of a joint fell out they just kinda shrugged and kept talking like they were thinking  'oh, that couldn't have been a roach..." They even kinda sniffed at the strong scent for a second but didn't bend over to investigate.  So that 'book-smell' was exciting that time!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh sure; drinking a smoothie and smoking a bong as I read, alone, is super exciting.  Most people prolly couldn't handle it :lol:

There was one time I was entering the US and the agent saw a Bible on the car seat.  They were so happy to see it, apparently its supposedly indicates Im a good citizen(?).  They got all relaxed and chatty and when they leafed through it and the butt of a joint fell out they just kinda shrugged and kept talking like they were thinking  'oh, that couldn't have been a roach..." They even kinda sniffed at the strong scent for a second but didn't bend over to investigate.  So that 'book-smell' was exciting that time!

so much levels of awesomness in this post

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Uh, paper? :lol:  I don't smoke indoors and I tend to leave my windows open.  Actually I haven't smoked a joint in...since December.  after about a quarter of a century of daily use I've kinda hit a wall with it. 

ah, that's where the paper of your books went then  :P

• GNFNR 1